Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JT

US Administration drops Florida from offshore drilling

The surprise move by the Trump Administration  to reverse plans for new offshore oil and gas drilling off the coast of Florida quickly spurred multiple calls by officials in other states for the same exemption. Is President retaliating on State's where he lost? I hope not

Looks like it.

“Florida should not be given special status because the President is friends with Governor Scott,” said Rep. Frank Pallone (D-NJ)

I see that some Republicans, like Rubio, are also against it so I don't think it is official policy but private matter 

Florida-Banana Republic

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Meanwhile said:

I see that some Republicans, like Rubio, are also against it so I don't think it is official policy but private matter 

I agree. The GOP seem to have abandoned any pretense about protecting Republican interests selectively

I can not name a state that does not rely on tourism in their coastal areas. So Florida's argument is weak

Wouldn't matter what the conditions are, liberals will complain to complain. They would ban oil drilling altogether 

1 minute ago, JohnAtronis said:

Wouldn't matter what the conditions are, liberals will complain to complain. They would ban oil drilling altogether 

Are you suggesting that California, Oregon and Washington just forgot to ask to be dropped? 

2 minutes ago, JohnAtronis said:

You seem to have missed the point

and all of this happening after Michael Moore announced to start fracking off the coast of Mar-a-Lago 

Oregon, Washington, Maryland and California are just as reliant on their unique coastlines for tourism. 

36 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Oregon, Washington, Maryland and California are just as reliant on their unique coastlines for tourism. 

incorrect. Almost 11% of employment in Florida is tourism-related. That's higher than all the coastal states, and only lower than two states--Nevada and Wyoming.

45 minutes ago, Rodent said:

incorrect. Almost 11% of employment in Florida is tourism-related. That's higher than all the coastal states, and only lower than two states--Nevada and Wyoming.

I see. Never mind then. Drill'em all then. 

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

I see. Never mind then. Drill'em all then. 

I bet they didn't expect this spin when they voted 

1 hour ago, Joanna said:

I bet they didn't expect this spin when they voted 

Not sure what you mean, Joanna.