50 shades of black

Climate Change: A Summer of Storms and Smog Is Coming

Air pollution is the sixth biggest killer worldwide—more than alcohol use, kidney failure or too much salt. The cause, as we all know, is the burning of fossil fuels, which generates soot and other airborne particles that hang in the atmosphere. In a new example of the vicious cycles spun up by climate change, research from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology suggests for the first time that pollution is lingering longer over cities and summer storms are becoming more powerful. When it comes to the global warming crisis, rising seas, catastrophic flooding, devastating heatwaves and unprecedented hurricanes get all the press. The new study reveals how even the more mundane aspects of weather are being affected by man-made damage in ways likely to become—if they haven’t already—damaging to people and property. “You can connect observations that people are making on short timescales about weather phenomena to changes in the mean state of the climate,” said lead author Charles Gertler, a graduate student in MIT’s Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences. “In plainer speech, it’s climate change and its fingerprint on weather events.” The study published this week in the peer-reviewed journal, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, also states that these weaker extratropical cyclones may be contributing to longer heat waves, too. The study is based on temperature and precipitation data going back to 1979, the beginning of satellite monitoring.

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 2

Well, if we have the technology to 3D print houses then we should be able to solve climate change :)

• Like 2

Climate change doesn't just mean changing of climates. Pollution, air quality, water quality, nature. I trust science

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Everything in this one pic: deforestation, pollution, corporate greed, government corruption, climate change, depletion of resources...  All bad for a sustainable environment 

image.png.3c498e2e4b695cd523994194ff8010b1.png

1 minute ago, 50 shades of black said:

Everything in this one pic: deforestation, pollution, corporate greed, government corruption, climate change, depletion of resources...  All bad for a sustainable environment 

The common factor: humans....

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1

1 hour ago, ThunderBlade said:

So, judgment day is near...

Hello there Thunderblade,

If we work together, we can change the world for the better.

Why waste the awesome intelligence that God granted us? 

Do you enjoy eating potatoes?

Then read the attached article.

I would be happy to explain any of the jargon, such as diploid or tetraploid.

Your Friendly Biologist,

Janet

The New Potato.pdf

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Janet Alderton said:

Hello there Thunderblade,

If we work together, we can change the world for the better.

Why waste the awesome intelligence that God granted us? 

Do you enjoy eating potatoes?

Then read the attached article.

I would be happy to explain any of the jargon, such as diploid or tetraploid.

Your Friendly Biologist,

Janet

The New Potato.pdf

" I would be happy to explain any of the jargon, such as diploid or tetraploid."

No thanks, for now I just know I'm not a potato :S

• Like 1

(edited)

4 hours ago, 50 shades of black said:

The black smoke you see is a solid carbon and will fall very quickly back to the earth. Logging is a way of managing forests, trees grow back. You know for a fact the government is in on the corruption. Climate change?, yep the climate does change all the time, and is nothing new. One or two good bursts from big volcanoes could end life on earth as we know it. What you are showing in the photo is trucks drag racing with loads. If your mind is so narrowed to all the ill's of the world, ya might be wanting to buy a breathing mask and walk around with oxy tank. 

helens_page02_18-1200x756.jpg

Edited by Old-Ruffneck
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Happy Go Lucky said:

" I would be happy to explain any of the jargon, such as diploid or tetraploid."

No thanks, for now I just know I'm not a potato :S

Good joke.

But you probably share a few genes with potatoes.  🙂

Janet

2 hours ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

yep the climate does change all the time, and is nothing new.

Except that your claims are inconsistent with scientific facts.

Again you confuse the lay aspect of a change in climate which occurs over hundreds or thousands of years with the scientific concept of climate change which relates to generational changes in patterns of weather which are measurable and statistically significant.

Your claim that this "is nothing new" suggests you have an explanation for present warming which is different from accepted climate theory.  Would you care to elaborate?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

As for the pic of the two rigs racing:

Looks like a good race...

My bet is that the black one on the right wins,  as he looks slightly ahead even though he has a bigger load judging by the height of the logs...

He may want to have his rig checked though,  as his rear cab wheels are slightly inverted outward at the bottom...  Not sure why that is other than maybe bad struts or too heavy of a load...

As for the pic of the volcano..

Reminds me of the ones i made for science class back in Junior High School.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Red said:

Except that your claims are inconsistent with scientific facts.

Again you confuse the lay aspect of a change in climate which occurs over hundreds or thousands of years with the scientific concept of climate change which relates to generational changes in patterns of weather which are measurable and statistically significant.

Your claim that this "is nothing new" suggests you have an explanation for present warming which is different from accepted climate theory.  Would you care to elaborate?

Uh, is easy to explain that concept of climate change from Volcanoes disrupted the sun and is even captured in ice tubes in way down to the south pole up to the north pole and even massive glaciers. That is scientific fact. Warming and cooling due to massive eruptions is as old as time began. Dating ice cores of hundreds of thousands of years proves warming and cooling on a more dramatic scale than we have today. If you came here to argue, have some decency and provide facts. Accepted climate theory is just that, theory!!! It's not fact.

• Like 2
  • Great Response! 1

4 minutes ago, Illurion said:

As for the pic of the two rigs racing:

Looks like a good race...

My bet is that the black one on the right wins,  as he looks slightly ahead even though he has a bigger load judging by the height of the logs...

He may want to have his rig checked though,  as his rear cab wheels are slightly inverted outward at the bottom...  Not sure why that is other than maybe bad struts or too heavy of a load...

As for the pic of the volcano..

Reminds me of the ones i made for science class back in Junior High School.

Looks like road is crowned pretty good. Both tractors are under extreme torque as both cabs and bumper levels are torqueing to the right a lot. The photo is Mt. St. Helens when she blew in 80. The debris circumvented the globe. Just one of many that are still active and the massive lava bed under Yellowstone if were to erupt, probably be catastrophic on a global scale. Which is my point. Man can put out so much emissions and the swamps in Florida put out about as much Methane and other atmospheric gas' that rise. Call the EPA and turn in Florida for letting so much go to the skies.

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1

8 minutes ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

Uh, is easy to explain that concept of climate change from Volcanoes disrupted the sun and is even captured in ice tubes in way down to the south pole up to the north pole and even massive glaciers. That is scientific fact.

Nothing we do not know, but not relevant to present climatic trends.

10 minutes ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

Accepted climate theory is just that, theory!!! It's not fact.

In science a theory is regarded for all intents and purposes as a fact.  You might be thinking of an hypothesis.  So your claim is not supported by science.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

Looks like road is crowned pretty good. Both tractors are under extreme torque as both cabs and bumper levels are torqueing to the right a lot. The photo is Mt. St. Helens when she blew in 80. The debris circumvented the globe. Just one of many that are still active and the massive lava bed under Yellowstone if were to erupt, probably be catastrophic on a global scale. Which is my point. Man can put out so much emissions and the swamps in Florida put out about as much Methane and other atmospheric gas' that rise. Call the EPA and turn in Florida for letting so much go to the skies.

Absolutely correct...

I thought that was Mt St Helens,  but i wasn't totally sure from seeing it from this angle.   Most pics usually show from the other side of the mountain,  looking at the side that blew out....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Red said:

Nothing we do not know, but not relevant to present climatic trends.

In science a theory is regarded for all intents and purposes as a fact.  You might be thinking of an hypothesis.  So your claim is not supported by science.

A theory is a group of linked ideas intended to explain something. A theory provides a framework for explaining observations. The explanations are based on assumptions. From the assumptions follows a number of possible hypotheses. They can be tested to provide support for, or challenge, the theory.

I have a mind of my own, and like to view new data of the past 30 years that the scientists are saying as factual but in theory. Man can only conjecture from time began to present and only guess to the future. Mother earth will heal herself but man will be long gone I believe. 

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

Uh, is easy to explain that concept of climate change from Volcanoes disrupted the sun and is even captured in ice tubes in way down to the south pole up to the north pole and even massive glaciers. That is scientific fact. Warming and cooling due to massive eruptions is as old as time began. Dating ice cores of hundreds of thousands of years proves warming and cooling on a more dramatic scale than we have today. If you came here to argue, have some decency and provide facts. Accepted climate theory is just that, theory!!! It's not fact.

You are repeating past information which is well known by climate scientists.

However your initial claims are false and you seem unable to present your ideas for explaining why the planet is warming when it should be cooling, were it not for a human factor.

• Downvote 3

1 minute ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

A theory is a group of linked ideas intended to explain something. A theory provides a framework for explaining observations. The explanations are based on assumptions. From the assumptions follows a number of possible hypotheses. They can be tested to provide support for, or challenge, the theory.

I have a mind of my own, and like to view new data of the past 30 years that the scientists are saying as factual but in theory. Man can only conjecture from time began to present and only guess to the future. Mother earth will heal herself but man will be long gone I believe. 

Well put....

Im skeptic      So lets say this "climate change" ...snicker.. is true...There is nothing man can do about it but adapt..    man cant control the wind, cant control rainfall, cant  control the weather and darn sure cant control climate no matter what "scientists" say.  this winter in the cold areas of the USA are colder than average but in scientific jargon it's just a "blip"  they always have an answer to suit their narrative..

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

You would do well to read this.

6 minutes ago, Illurion said:

I have a mind of my own, and like to view new data of the past 30 years that the scientists are saying as factual but in theory.

Can you please translate that into English.

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, skeptic said:

...  man cant control the wind, cant control rainfall, cant  control the weather and darn sure cant control climate no matter what "scientists" say. 

Where is your evidence that humans are not affecting climate?

• Downvote 1

(edited)

where is your evidence man can control weather, wind, rainfall or climate?

Edited by skeptic
  • Great Response! 1

2 hours ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

The black smoke you see is a solid carbon and will fall very quickly back to the earth. Logging is a way of managing forests, trees grow back. You know for a fact the government is in on the corruption. Climate change?, yep the climate does change all the time, and is nothing new. One or two good bursts from big volcanoes could end life on earth as we know it. What you are showing in the photo is trucks drag racing with loads. If your mind is so narrowed to all the ill's of the world, ya might be wanting to buy a breathing mask and walk around with oxy tank. 

helens_page02_18-1200x756.jpg

Incorrect. The bulk of that carbon particulate has aerodynamic diameters of less than  1 micron which means its very mobile with a longer residence time in the atmosphere. Its also a great carrier for a variety of nasties in diesel exhaust - Aldehydes, PAH's, VOC's heavy metals etc. 

From a health effect perspective this means it easily gets into the respirable zone of the lungs and can potentially cross the blood brain barrier where those nasties can do their work. 

http://courses.washington.edu/cive494/DieselParticleSize.pdf

• Great Response! 1

5 minutes ago, skeptic said:

where is your evidence man can control weather, wind, rainfall or climate?

I never said any of those things.

You, unfortunately, confused affect with control.   "Climate change" has nothing to do with "controlling" the climate, so what is it that you are actually skeptical about?

• Downvote 2