Sibusiso Gumede

Oil imports by countries

Good day 

I would like to find out where do I find information regarding the past and current crude oil consumption by countries? 

• Like 2

Crude oil consumption is not a good metric.  Unless you can refine crude, you are unlikely to import it.

What is the purpose of your request?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Sibusiso Gumede said:

Good day 

I would like to find out where do I find information regarding the past and current crude oil consumption by countries? 

wish i can too ,good day too all 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It seems the more advanced a country is, the more oil per capita it consumes. Or is it the other way round?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2/20/2019 at 8:38 PM, Uduak said:

It seems the more advanced a country is, the more oil per capita it consumes. Or is it the other way round?

notable exceptions: Saudi Arabia and Algeria...

I've seen presentation by Saudi oil think tank - developed countries are lowering their per-capita consumption while developing increasing it (hence my loud laughing when someone tells how EVs will reduce demand - not before few billion people will increase their living standards by consuming more energy&fuel).

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2/20/2019 at 2:38 AM, Uduak said:

Yes look at the per capita energy consumption and you will see that these countries have "cold weather" or are advanced economic countries. Note: Canada uses more energy per capita than USA...

• Like 1

(edited)

5 hours ago, DanilKa said:

notable exceptions: Saudi Arabia and Algeria...

I've seen presentation by Saudi oil think tank - developed countries are lowering their per-capita consumption while developing increasing it (hence my loud laughing when someone tells how EVs will reduce demand - not before few billion people will increase their living standards by consuming more energy&fuel).

What EVs?? half the population in India would be lucky if they had drinking water and good sanitation for a day. Forget EVs. India's oil consumption is going to grow by 6 MPBD by 2040, While developed economies may see a slight decrease in oil consumption, other developing nations will more than negate the offset. 

Edited by Bobby P
  • Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/business-sites/en/global/corporate/pdfs/energy-economics/statistical-review/bp-stats-review-2018-full-report.pdf

in a section it says the oil consumption by country, then the oil production, the oil production minus the oil consumption and then you get the net oil imports

of course is not the best way of doing math because things like gas condensate could or couldn't be considered as oil

On 2/21/2019 at 11:54 PM, Bobby P said:

What EVs?? half the population in India would be lucky if they had drinking water and good sanitation for a day. Forget EVs. India's oil consumption is going to grow by 6 MPBD by 2040, While developed economies may see a slight decrease in oil consumption, other developing nations will more than negate the offset. 

I know a few people who will be disappointed by "only" 6mbd by 2040. India is hoping to be another China in 10-15 years (hoping being the keyword) - so shooting for 8mbd by 2035. EVs may not be mass vehicles but Indian govt (like Chinese govt) is starting to push for it. So maybe 6-8mbd increase but by 2035 and not 2040.

On 2/19/2019 at 4:59 PM, Red said:

Crude oil consumption is not a good metric.  Unless you can refine crude, you are unlikely to import it.

What is the purpose of your request?

I don't see how that is any of your business.