Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rodent

NYC sues oil companies, divests

Defendants include BP, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, ExxonMobil and Royal Dutch Shell. 

I see they have one of the largest smog problems in america, but when it comes to electricity, have mostly gas-fired and nuclear power. How does that work?

All these lawsuits are painting a picture, in which Big Oil force-fed them with their dirty gasoline, imposed pollution on them without their knowledge or awareness and nobody, simply nobody knew how bad emissions were for the environment save for Big Oil. It's a Hollywood blockbuster picture, certainly, but how true is it?

I think the notion that the oil industry is the big bad wolf is a bit too simple. I'm sure Big Oil had an idea that it had a hand in pollution. I'm sure most other people did too. Only now it's become popular to shake the finger at Big Oil, retrospectively chastising them for the role the industry played in pollution, while conveniently forgetting that the world was completely dependent on oil for it's own livelihood. 

You can't get angry at the baker because the cupcake you just ate added a pound or two to your waist.

Yes, it's an argument filled with hypocrisy. Turn off everyone's power and see how they feel about the environment then. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/11/2018 at 12:29 PM, Kate Turlington said:

Yes, it's an argument filled with hypocrisy. Turn off everyone's power and see how they feel about the environment then. 

Too true. Although to be fair, I suppose many things are filled with hypocrisy. Environmental issues are just one ugly example of people's tendency to talk out of one side of their mouth by doing something completely different.