Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marina Schwarz

Who Will Succeed Putin?

Vladimir Putin is running this year for the last time. Sure, he will win but this means he needs to start looking for a successor (if he hasn't started and finished yet). I read recently that many are more afraid of Rosneft's Igor Sechin than of Putin and that includes politicians and business people. I wouldn't want to see Sechin president  but it got me thinking who are the most likely candidates...

Simply, After Putin, Putin.

• Upvote 1

Or..after Putin, Dmitry Medvedev. Again.

Putin's assault on democracy is undeniably real. And it's a fact for the last two decades

Once a KGB, always a KGB-agent. Cold warior who was learning from the "best".

Putin has never had respect for democratic institutions. Few years ago he literally invaded a sovereign European country and annexed part of their country in order to foment a civil war...And, after that nothing

Only man in the world who speaks lot with his eyes. Old Russian school. If you remember, he was beside B. Yeltsin and was waiting for his opportunity.  

For the past 20 years, Putin and Russia have continued the work of the USSR in assaulting democratic institutions, the rule of law, and destabilizing. Second name, same principles

True, there is one difference.They went from being a communist state to being under control one man and his will without Communist party.

Just because they changed the flag doesn't mean they changed the mission and politics. My country was under the boots of soviet union. Probably worst period in our history.

Ten years ago they made invasion on Gruzja, three years ago same scenario in Eastern Ukraine. What is next? SSSR did the same 40 years ago in my country.

Interesting that Putin hasn't backed a successor yet. Is this a case of Putin not wanting to do it too early before the elections in case the successor he chooses ends up looking more attractive and outshines Putin in the election?

But i've heard that there are some 'celebrities' gunning for the job ... seems to be becoming a trend. 

Ksenia Sobchat, 'socialite and journalist' is one of them ...

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 12.32.35 PM.png

• Upvote 2

Well, technically the 20 years of Putin "attacks" would have taken place after the fall of Soviet Communism. So in one sense the Cold War never ended. And, Putin knows that and try to keeping "status quo". In last decade he is destroyed each political opponent who had try to establish new political order... Some of them were killed, some of them ended up in prison, the other were expelled... It's Putin. 

Something fresh from Putin's kitchen:

"Vladimir Putin today complimented Kim Jong-un as a "shrewd and mature politician" who has "won this round" against the United States."

How did he possibly win? He was bullied into submission is now holding talks with South Korea. So it's been *Russia*, not China, backing North Korea all along.

And of course - China was providing oil to NK as was Russia. Political chess players in big and dangerous political games: They want to keep Kim on their side. As Putin indicated, Kim has weapons that can go anywhere on the globe.

Putin knows exactly what to say to provoke a friend who wants, needs has to have his respect.. This message is like oil on fire....

16 hours ago, Rodent said:

Interesting that Putin hasn't backed a successor yet. Is this a case of Putin not wanting to do it too early before the elections in case the successor he chooses ends up looking more attractive and outshines Putin in the election?

I've been wondering about that myself. I think it's too early. Plus, he's running as independent this time and talk is he wants to distance himself from his party as his approval ratings are higher than the party's. 

Ah, Ksenia Sobchak, a brilliant politician in the making, indeed.:D

• Upvote 1

Thousands of people demonstrated in dozens of Russian cities yesterday. Protesters across Russia braved icy temperatures to demonstrate against the lack of choice in a presidential election..And, of course, state television broadcasts largely ignored the protests. Each regime is same.

They are calling people on boycott. The boycott is a poor tactic. The absence of  supporters( Alexsei Navalny, Putin's political enemy)  at the polls would most likely not be enough to make a significant difference in the turnout.

Putin’s been in power 18 years, practically two decade.

I remembered a movie of James Bond 007: " From Russia with love" 

Icy conditions are not big problem to Russians. Protesting against a man who never holds fair elections and kills his opponents and detractors is brave step. But can't change results of election - Putin after Putin.