CM

Facebook Shifting To Privacy-Oriented Platform?

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced the company would be reorienting itself to become a more privacy-minded platform.

"I believe the future of communication will increasingly shift to private, encrypted services where people can be confident what they say to each other stays secure and their messages and content won't stick around forever. This is the future I hope we will help bring about," Zuckerberg said in a post. 

He added that the company would be focusing on building encryption tools and "reducing permanence" in users' online communications. 

Says the weasel while pledging to make the hen house secure.

• Like 1

Their business model is mining your data  and using that to serve you with ads. It won't change. Our messages will be encrypted in a way that third parties can't see them. But who will have the keys and continue to mine the data? Not a hard guess. 

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

Why on earth any rational person would willingly use Facebook is just beyond my grasp.

Facebook is a data mining site that sells its user's personal information to advertisers.

You can't cure stupid, I guess.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Far too late. I stopped using Facebook long ago because of the many breaches of customers’ trust. Never going back. Facebook is about to suffer unrepairable damage due to their nefarious activities. Even Mr Z admitted in an interview after Cambridge Analytica was unveiled, that FB had become a monster he cannot control.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2018/04/10/mark-zuckerbergs-testimony-shows-facebook-is-a-monster-too-big-to-control.html

• Like 2

Privacy International finds major Android apps are still sharing data with Facebook

OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! Despite all the fuss around data harvesting, there are still major Android apps sucking up data and piping it back to Facebook.

Anti-snooping group, Privacy International kicked out a report that found apps from sizeable companies like Yelp and Duolingo are harvesting data that could be used to identify users and fuel advert tracking.

The data gobbling happens even if users aren't logged into the apps, which also include job search tool Indeed and two Muslim prayer apps.

That data is then blasted back to Facebook even if the user isn't logged into the social network's app on their Android device, or more worryingly, doesn't have a Facebook account at all. ...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've said it in other threads. Check out protonmail or tutanota for encrypted email. DuckDuckGo for web browsing or even better, DDG in the Tor web browser. You'll lose some functionality with Tor such as playing videos but if you're searching for info in text you're fine.

Facebook and Google, above all other tech companies, will not survive unless they can build a profile of you and serve you ads based on that. Therefore, they will always retain this privilege no matter what they say about privacy.

• Upvote 1