Rodent

this is why Climate Friendly Agendas Tread Water

12 minutes ago, Illurion said:

they probably didn't........

they embezzled the money,  and wrote in their log that they bought candy bars............

you don't actually think that NASA actually paid $700 for each hammer do you..?

Actually, I do think NASA paid $700 for the specialized hammers they bought.  It is called the "economy of scale."  A rare painting will set you back millions (assuming it is a desired thing) vs. a common item like a nail made in the millions.  The hammers were for a special purpose, and had to be made out of a special metal; and would only be used on certain spaceships.  So yes, rare items cost a lot more money.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Illurion said:

20 years ago,  my Wife discovered the company she worked for was embezzling money from the local school board by stating that an extravagantly large amount of food was being sent to a small neighborhood elementary school.

She told her boss what she found,  and she was transferred to another office the next day,  and fired 3 weeks later.....

Two years later,  her old boss,  the one she told about the embezzlement scheme,  was arrested for being the "creator" behind the scheme......

Nothing surprises me anymore............

That does not surprise me, either.  But I am also glad he got caught.  Criminals are often so stupid.  Although, "white collar" crimes are usually the ones who do not get caught.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Okie said:

Actually, I do think NASA paid $700 for the specialized hammers they bought.  It is called the "economy of scale."  A rare painting will set you back millions (assuming it is a desired thing) vs. a common item like a nail made in the millions.  The hammers were for a special purpose, and had to be made out of a special metal; and would only be used on certain spaceships.  So yes, rare items cost a lot more money.

not in this case.......  they stated that they bought 5000 of those $700 hammers.......    nothing special about them at all.....  A senator actually brought one to the Senate floor and used it to as a prop......

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Illurion said:

not in this case.......  they stated that they bought 5000 of those $700 hammers.......    nothing special about them at all.....  A senator actually brought one to the Senate floor and used it to as a prop......

I think the uniqueness was in the metal or material used, not the shape.  But, of course, I could be wrong.  I just know that things that are rare (and 5,000 of an item is not common -- just think of how many Ferraris or Lamborghinis are made each year and how much they cost).

2 minutes ago, Okie said:

That does not surprise me, either.  But I am also glad he got caught.  Criminals are often so stupid.  Although, "white collar" crimes are usually the ones who do not get caught.

My Wife was devastated at losing the job...   She normally worked in a school cafeteria,  but tripped on some grease and broke her ankle...

While she was wearing her cast,  they transfered her to the main office downtown,   as a Receptionist........

One day,  the girl that inputs all of the data into the computer called in sick,  so the Boss asked Kathy to input the data.......

She did so,   and immediately noticed the huge amounts of food going to a small 150 student Elementary School not far from us......

You know the rest......

Actually,  until the guy was arrested 2 years later,  my Wife and I had never "put 2 and 2 together" and realized that she had been fired to hide what they were doing......

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Illurion said:

My Wife was devastated at losing the job...   She normally worked in a school cafeteria,  but tripped on some grease and broke her ankle...

While she was wearing her cast,  they transfered her to the main office downtown,   as a Receptionist........

One day,  the girl that inputs all of the data into the computer called in sick,  so the Boss asked Kathy to input the data.......

She did so,   and immediately noticed the huge amounts of food going to a small 150 student Elementary School not far from us......

You know the rest......

Actually,  until the guy was arrested 2 years later,  my Wife and I had never "put 2 and 2 together" and realized that she had been fired to hide what they were doing......

Which is why, Illurion, I was making the point about employers having all the power; and why it is important to have protections for employees.  Which, by the way, brings up an interesting and little known point: employment law is still today governed by (and grew out of) master-slave law.  What happened to your wife is not atypical; in fact, it is the norm.  Bankruptcy law, which used to be the main part of my practice, has a lot of crossover with white collar crime.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, NickW said:

Amazing especially as Hersheys actually tastes of vomit*

They use Butyric acid* to stablise the milk. Butyric Acid is the what gives sick its characteristic smell🤢

I wish you hadn't revealed that but I have always preferred Nestles or Cadbury etc. My brother used to be a sales manager for Hershey. He denies it tastes like vomit and took offense, but he is no chemist. 

• Haha 1

I am pretty sure butyric acid is one of the compounds produced when milk sours and gives it the smell that is so unpleasant to us. Beekeepers use it to drive the worker bees from the honey supers above the brood boxes in the hives prior to harvesting the honey from the supers. Bees find the stench as unbearable as us I guess.

Just some MUI, (Miscellaneous Useless Information) to add to the discussion........

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rodent said:

A depressing anecdotal video included in this article not only diminishes my hope for the human race and reinforces the wisdom of my decision to work at home to avoid contact with much of the human race, but it also reinforces my belief that no movement, even ones with merritt, have trouble getting off the ground if that movement requires sacrifices.

People can say all day long that they support renewables and abhor fossil fuels. Easy to say, but the majority are unwilling to do.

My stance has always been that people are only interested in adopting renewables if someone else (such as the money fairy, perhaps) is footing the bill. I stand by that. 

People as a whole are not interested in making immediate sacrifices for future gains. 

I am indeed a candy bar kind of girl, but come on, now...

I must go now and weep for the sadness that we have become.

14 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

Hi @Rodent

Something about that line doesn't seem right??

I copied this from an old post somewhere:

Movie of the week: "Man of Steel" led by Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Laurence Fishburne and Russell Crowe. 

Summary of the movie:
A baby, the first natural born in centuries from a planet called Krypton was sent to Earth when Krypton was undergoing revolution. Krypton, as a planet far away from Earth, had exhausted their resources. It performed population control by having in vitro babies outside the body. Each baby had destined destiny in the society. At the end, the planet was destroyed in a war or rebellion act. The baby sent to Earth was growing in a loving farm house family. But his supernatural power or ability disturbed him. His foster father said (in summary):" You are sent here for a reason................ One day, you are going to make a choice, whether to stand proud and help the people on Earth or not."

A good watch. Reminded me of our situation in the near future. What would we do when our resources are near exhausted? Do we control our population so that only certain people can continue living or do we let nature take the course? A worldwide economy transformation program was initiated since the 70s by a renowned organization. According to the book <<Shock doctrine: the rise of disaster capitalism>>, this transformation sacrificed the poor, who were considered insignificant and burdens to the economy, let them died of starvation or died trying to get rich or survive. Many countries ruined, unable to be reconstructed for a very long time. Kind and sincere people of the poor were being eliminated, left the opposite kind. The fate of Krypton might befallen us, if we continue that direction, or no? Is this what we want? What are we doing? What are we going to do?

p/s: Let the right things be done; wicked-immoral be defeated and justice prevailed.

3 hours ago, Illurion said:

You know the rest......

She has been lucky. It's just a termination.............. There was a book i read (forgot the title) someone was persecuted to force him to die with mass media slandering; isolated him from getting help; forced him into exile etc. This man was lucky to be protected by some people who were curious what was behind and saved him from the event..... 5 rich partners in a field trying to hide what they were doing illegally that was accidentally mentioned by the man in an article he wrote as a reporter for a news paper and forgotten (or something like that)...... At the end.... all 5 wicked were killed to close the dangerous and damaging thing they were invovled in.... and the story ended at a ski-ing resort Switzerland where the man was relieved of non sensical persecution and danger and lived happily ever after...............

Fictional international bestselling story could sometimes be coincidentally a real life story....... That's how the author might have gotten the idea to write..................

When we have the power to change......... we should always use it well........... for the betterment and happiness of our days ahead......... for our spiritual and moral uplifting.............. and for whatever good things that come with it.............

7 hours ago, Illurion said:

ok your Majesty.

How do i get my share of those government candy bars..............9_9

Yah!  I only knew about the cheese, and I'm still trying to work that out.  😵

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Illurion said:

Who was that senator?  It is unwise to bring evidence that has more intelligence than the presenter!  :) 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Okie said:

I think the uniqueness was in the metal or material used, not the shape.  But, of course, I could be wrong.  I just know that things that are rare (and 5,000 of an item is not common -- just think of how many Ferraris or Lamborghinis are made each year and how much they cost).

Nah, apparently it was just government accounting.  Even the stories had different $$ amounts.  Some old articles on the subject here:

What's the story behind the $600 hammer?

Beyond The $800 Hammer

12 hours ago, ronwagn said:

I wish you hadn't revealed that but I have always preferred Nestles or Cadbury etc. My brother used to be a sales manager for Hershey. He denies it tastes like vomit and took offense, but he is no chemist. 

Most "Milk Chocolate" in the US is ladened with chemicals. I worked in the Food Chemical/Flavoring Industry for 7 years. You should never it eat. It's better to eat Dark Chocolate of at least 45% Cocoa. There are actual health benefits in eating real Chocolate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BakoDave said:

In the 70s those Hammers were only $100!

Everything was better in the 70's........

We had REAL freedom then.....

Every once in a while i watch some millennial idiot on tv say the crack    "This Isn't the 70's Anymore."     as if there was something wrong with the 70's......?

Such bs........

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Illurion said:

Every once in a while i watch some millennial idiot on tv say the crack    "This Isn't the 70's Anymore."     as if there was something wrong with the 70's......?

Such bs........

The 70's and 80's rocked!  Great music, big hair, bell-bottom jeans, easy to find work....

Of course that was in my little cocoon in small-town USA.  Times were good and the future was so bright we had to wear shades!

ZZ Top, Garth Brooks, the Bangles, the Eagles, Sammy Hagar (I can't drive 55!) and Montrose, AC/DC, REO Speedwagon, Queen, and on and on.

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Illurion said:

Such bs........

You had PERCIEVED freedom then...… back in 70's there weren't as many laws as now on the books but as we have aged it sure look(s) 100 times better than today. Sometimes I would like to bury my head in the sand too. hehe

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

The 70's and 80's rocked!  Great music, big hair, bell-bottom jeans, easy to find work....

Of course that was in my little cocoon in small-town USA.  Times were good and the future was so bright we had to wear shades!

ZZ Top, Garth Brooks, the Bangles, the Eagles, Sammy Hagar (I can't drive 55!) and Montrose, AC/DC, REO Speedwagon, Queen, and on and on.

Bet you didn't inhale either 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

Bet you didn't inhale either 🙂

Oh yeah.  And then Nancy convinced Ronnie to go to war against Larry down the street.  Dammit Nancy!

• Upvote 1

On 3/12/2019 at 10:12 PM, Illurion said:

ok... cool...  i was just kidding you anyway...  my apologies.......

Gotta watch out for that, Illurion.  A paper page cannot transmit the subtle nuances of your kidding, and remember, this is an international audience, gets harder when English is your third language  (for example, like me).  And your Russian name throws everybody off, they don't figure you are from Indiana or Arkansas or wherever.  Novosibirsk, OK, that would fly....   Cheers. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/12/2019 at 10:13 PM, Okie said:

Government accounting methods includes reserves for internal overheads. That $700 is not the individual unit transaction price. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/12/2019 at 10:15 PM, Okie said:

White collar criminals forge documents all the time.  Especially bankers. 

In re Olga D. Paredes - 092909.pdf

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

White collar criminals forge documents all the time.  Especially bankers. 

In re Olga D. Paredes - 092909.pdf

Wells Fargo Bank even createda 150-page Manual that it peddled out to its foreclosure lawyers, instructing them who to contact inside Wells Fargo to have documents created or re-created out of thin air, then to go submit into Court or go file on the land records.  This was discovered quite by accident by Linda Tirelli, in a bankruptcy case in New York:

https://www.housingwire.com/articles/29732-wfc-cant-keep-alleged-bogus-foreclosure-manual-out-of-court

Wall Street bankers have stolen over one trillion dollars,  Total arrests by the US Attorneys?  Zero.

• Upvote 2

(edited)

9 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

Wells Fargo Bank even createda 150-page Manual that it peddled out to its foreclosure lawyers, instructing them who to contact inside Wells Fargo to have documents created or re-created out of thin air, then to go submit into Court or go file on the land records.  This was discovered quite by accident by Linda Tirelli, in a bankruptcy case in New York:

https://www.housingwire.com/articles/29732-wfc-cant-keep-alleged-bogus-foreclosure-manual-out-of-court

Wall Street bankers have stolen over one trillion dollars,  Total arrests by the US Attorneys?  Zero.

Le secret des grandes fortunes sans cause apparente est un crime oublié, parce qu’il a été proprement fait. -- Honoré de Balzac (In English, paraphrased, "Behind every great fortune lies a great crime.") https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/09/09/fortune-crime/

Edited by Okie
close parentheses
  • Great Response! 1

25 minutes ago, Okie said:

Le secret des grandes fortunes sans cause apparente est un crime oublié, parce qu’il a été proprement fait. -- Honoré de Balzac (In English, paraphrased, "Behind every great fortune lies a great crime.") https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/09/09/fortune-crime/

D'accord,  mais aussi il est nécessaire de poursuivre pour faire respecter la loi.  Vive la Republique!