Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marina Schwarz

Solar in a Bottle

5 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Say what you will about grand schemes and initiatives, I believe it's the tiny little things like that that are changing the world for the better.

https://www.dw.com/en/solar-power-in-a-bottle-brings-light-to-remote-communities-in-brazil/a-47793992

I always thought solar was perfect for broad based, small scale applications.  Residential roof top installs would be my choice.  The implementation potential is astonishing.  Every home could produce 100% of it's power needs, and with the addition of a small battery (used car battery or two, retasked?) they could be almost grid independent.  The only hurdle, as always, is capital costs for start-up....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I've seen solar in isolated fishing villages in Vietnam. When you don't have an established grid, it is the cost effective way. Sometimes, if they have a bit of money, they also have a gasoline powered generator for emergencies. Go to a slightly developed area and you might fined diesel backups. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Say what you will about grand schemes and initiatives, I believe it's the tiny little things like that that are changing the world for the better.

Marina - I was curious enough to read the article. The villages need an LED display, a battery and a small solar panel to make these lights.. the discarded bottle, the only part they don't have to order in, is the least important part of the light and probably not necessary. That said, it probably is a constructive use for solar panels, as the other posters have noted. Still a small electric generator run, say, a couple of hours a day plus a larger battery, might be more cost effective.