What's happening with Hydrogen Cars?

I just saw Hyundai has unveiled a hydrogen-fueled SUV at the CES. The range is pretty respectable as far as I gather but do hydrogen cars really have a future like EVs? I've been hearing this and that about companies trying to make it more mainstream but I have my doubts. Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Power outlets are feasible for every country. Can you imagine countries, even those averagely well, setting up a dense network hydrogen fueling stations?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would buy a hydrogen car because it's seems superior to electric and hybrid cars in every aspect. Nice to see a progress on this front. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many countries already have nationwide H2 station network and its enough for current level of deployment. You refuel your car in 5 minutes and drive about 300 miles. Than why would you like to bother with outlets, extension cords and charging batteries? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Adam Varga said:

I would buy a hydrogen car because it's seems superior to electric and hybrid cars in every aspect. Nice to see a progress on this front. 

$60,000 price tag seems steep. And what about the infrastructure to support this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if you look at the world H2 fueling station map you will find only 200 in Europe and Asia. Not even a network. And all major cities have more than 200 gas stations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Vlad Kovalenko said:

Well if you look at the world H2 fueling station map you will find only 200 in Europe and Asia. Not even a network. And all major cities have more than 200 gas stations. 

In other words, I shouldn't run out and buy one just yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about US? I know no-one with a hydrogen car ... plenty with EVs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/12/2018 at 4:37 PM, Vlad Kovalenko said:

Power outlets are feasible for every country. Can you imagine countries, even those averagely well, setting up a dense network hydrogen fueling stations?  

Nope. That's the big problem, I think, because if they decide to do it, it would need to be done very fast and I can't see that happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0