Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marina Schwarz

What's happening with Hydrogen Cars?

I just saw Hyundai has unveiled a hydrogen-fueled SUV at the CES. The range is pretty respectable as far as I gather but do hydrogen cars really have a future like EVs? I've been hearing this and that about companies trying to make it more mainstream but I have my doubts. Thoughts?

Power outlets are feasible for every country. Can you imagine countries, even those averagely well, setting up a dense network hydrogen fueling stations?  

I would buy a hydrogen car because it's seems superior to electric and hybrid cars in every aspect. Nice to see a progress on this front. 

Many countries already have nationwide H2 station network and its enough for current level of deployment. You refuel your car in 5 minutes and drive about 300 miles. Than why would you like to bother with outlets, extension cords and charging batteries? 

2 minutes ago, Adam Varga said:

I would buy a hydrogen car because it's seems superior to electric and hybrid cars in every aspect. Nice to see a progress on this front. 

$60,000 price tag seems steep. And what about the infrastructure to support this? 

Well if you look at the world H2 fueling station map you will find only 200 in Europe and Asia. Not even a network. And all major cities have more than 200 gas stations. 

1 minute ago, Vlad Kovalenko said:

Well if you look at the world H2 fueling station map you will find only 200 in Europe and Asia. Not even a network. And all major cities have more than 200 gas stations. 

In other words, I shouldn't run out and buy one just yet.

What about US? I know no-one with a hydrogen car ... plenty with EVs.

On 1/12/2018 at 4:37 PM, Vlad Kovalenko said:

Power outlets are feasible for every country. Can you imagine countries, even those averagely well, setting up a dense network hydrogen fueling stations?  

Nope. That's the big problem, I think, because if they decide to do it, it would need to be done very fast and I can't see that happening.