Marina Schwarz

England Running Out of Water?

"England is set to run short of water within 25 years, the chief executive of the Environment Agency has warned.

The country is facing the ‘‘jaws of death", Sir James Bevan said, at the point where water demand from the country's rising population surpasses the falling supply resulting from climate change.

However, this could be avoided with ambitious action to cut people's water use by a third and leakage from water company pipes by 50%, he says, along with big new reservoirs, more desalination plants and transfers of water across the country."

A third you say? Good luck with that. Here.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

No worries, because Climate Change will destroy all of humanity in less than 12 years.  Thus sayeth the new breed of intellectual-esque environmental extremists.

It might help if the various environmental scaremongering groups would communicate a bit more with each other and come up a year agreed on by 97% of scientists for the world to end due to Climate Change planetary catastrophic failure.  Death by cow farts seems like a great incentive to avoid this tragedy.

dd7088bfd0b9abff352e80cffe2be9d55c05c571404fe5f455d85bc54ccd3445.png

ec5638aee24a1a9754c082bde68b53ce5cd367f6da49bc84949f5d6ab390fc5e.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marina Schwarz said:

"England is set to run short of water within 25 years, the chief executive of the Environment Agency has warned.

The country is facing the ‘‘jaws of death", Sir James Bevan said, at the point where water demand from the country's rising population surpasses the falling supply resulting from climate change.

However, this could be avoided with ambitious action to cut people's water use by a third and leakage from water company pipes by 50%, he says, along with big new reservoirs, more desalination plants and transfers of water across the country."

Israel did it. Desperate times; nothing is impossible. 

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

Israel never had too much water to begin with, I think. I'm sure nothing is impossible but it will be a tad harder for the UK, I'm afraid. An average of 140 litres daily? What do these people do with all that water? Take baths every day?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

No worries, because Climate Change will destroy all of humanity in less than 12 years.

I'm sorry, this is not acceptable. 22 years I could do, 12 no. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

I always sucked at science, so maybe that's why I can't wrap my head around this problem. 

Did this sneak up on the UK and that's why they don't have enough desalination plants? Where does the water go once it is used? I legitimately claim utter ignorance. No need to answer that if my ignorance suggests there is no way I could comprehend the science of this in a paragraph or less.

The jaws of death description seems a bit melodramatic, but perhaps that is the only way to get people's attention nowadays. There are far too many "causes" these days. I suppose one must prioritize them. It would be great if people could agree on which cause should be placed in the forefront. 

Because honestly, if everything is a cause, nothing is a cause. I grow weary.

• Great Response! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

No connection then with a post 1997 immigration policy of bringing in 500,000 a year (and that's if you believe the official stats) most of whom, move to the SE of the UK.......

Coincidentally I was walking by a small stream near to where my parents lived in South Cambridge at the weekend. When I was a kid this was a chalk stream river brimming with Brown Trout, Chub, Roach, and Dace that I used to fish.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Compulsory water meters would be a good start, ideally with a tiered rate so as to not overburden poor consumers. Also flow restrictors for house holds who refuse to pay. They get enough water to drink and have a basin wash but that's it.

The end is nigh. Also, let's not forget the meat rotting at ports... I forgot which ports, though, British or continental.

Well, well who woulda thought Britain's very own Deep State woulda lied to their populace all those years ago about needing all those Pakis. Probably told the same lies too. They do work others won't, we need them for economic growth,...enjoy becoming New Pakistan with open air sewers.

• Haha 1

I have never been to the UK but was always under the assumption that they get a LOT of rain. How hard could it be for them to catch some of that rainwater off rooftops and put it back into the public water systems?

Hmmm.....maybe I could set up a chain of outlets selling polypropylene water tanks......I could hire the multitude of freshly immigrated Pakis to do all the work for pennies and make a fortune!

R2020

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Israel never had too much water to begin with, I think. I'm sure nothing is impossible but it will be a tad harder for the UK, I'm afraid. An average of 140 litres daily? What do these people do with all that water? Take baths every day?

" An average of 140 litres daily?  "

~ 36 gallons a day -- That's a fart in the wind :S

Average daily US water usage: - How much water does the average person use at home per day? Estimates vary, but each person uses about 80-100 gallons of water per day.

The key to Israels succes was better water management and re-use. Not just increasing supply. 

The point is the tech is available. it is just employing it and educating the public. 

6 hours ago, Rodent said:

I always sucked at science, so maybe that's why I can't wrap my head around this problem. 

Did this sneak up on the UK and that's why they don't have enough desalination plants? Where does the water go once it is used? I legitimately claim utter ignorance. No need to answer that if my ignorance suggests there is no way I could comprehend the science of this in a paragraph or less.

The jaws of death description seems a bit melodramatic, but perhaps that is the only way to get people's attention nowadays. There are far too many "causes" these days. I suppose one must prioritize them. It would be great if people could agree on which cause should be placed in the forefront. 

Because honestly, if everything is a cause, nothing is a cause. I grow weary.

Desalination is very expensive.

The dirty water goes into the world toilet - the oceans.

7 hours ago, Rodent said:

May I gently remind all posters and readers that "sucking at science" is against community guidelines!

• Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

The end is nigh. Also, let's not forget the meat rotting at ports... I forgot which ports, though, British or continental.

Often you can read in the same newspaper how:

Brexit will destroy the meat industry by hindering exports

Brexit will cause widespread food shortages due to import issues

No one seems to see the possibility of the two issues cancelling each other out. 

Ok so I may not be able to get my regular supply of Kalamata olives but I can enjoy an extra Aberdeen Angus rump steak as we can no longer export it. 

• Like 2

(edited)

12 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

All they need to do is catch all that rainwater that flows off their roofs and flows through their gutters! Reprocess it! Duh!

Water Conservation https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s6vxrBPC_8XYQgSNK7-UuNbqsdDKflhXPDeswYFKDt0/edit

Edited by ronwagn
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

I'm sorry, this is not acceptable. 22 years I could do, 12 no. 

How about 32, just in case. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rodent said:

Because honestly, if everything is a cause, nothing is a cause. I grow wea

It seems that the liberal half of our population are increasingly losing contact with reality. All the alarmism is really a folie a plusieurs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folie_à_deux   Pardon my French. We need to really work hard to correct the psychosis! I am well qualified, having spent twenty years as an RN MA in an acute psychiatric facility. 

4 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

May I gently remind all posters and readers that "sucking at science" is against community guidelines!

You made me smile!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

140 litres is nothing.  In the USA we average over 160 gallons per day, and perhaps half of that is in flushing toilets. 

There is an interesting solution: import the fresh water.  The USA receives these huge VLCC tankers, then they run back to the Middle East "empty" to go pick up another load of crude.  Now suppose that the tanker compartments were pressure-washed as they were emptied, so you have these nice clean tanks.  Converting steel tanks is easy enough if the tanks are coated with some form of epoxy.  Chemical barges and boats do this all the time.  Now that VLCC sails up to Churchill Falls, Labrador, and loads up with fresh water from the Churchill River.  You don't need a pumping station; all you do is pipe from a point higher up and let it gush in by gravity. Bingo, another 2 million barrels of pure Canadian water, tankered over to England from Canada. OK, you do have to pay for pumping at the UK end, to get it into the reservoir, and perhaps pass it through some oil-water separator just as a safeguard to any residual oil, but one ship sure carries a lot of water! 

And if you have surplus tonnage in the tanker trade, then instead of scrapping or mothballing, simply divert it to the water-carriage trade. Could work. 

• Like 1

(edited)

2 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

140 litres is nothing.  In the USA we average over 160 gallons per day, and perhaps half of that is in flushing toilets. 

There is an interesting solution: import the fresh water.  The USA receives these huge VLCC tankers, then they run back to the Middle East "empty" to go pick up another load of crude.  Now suppose that the tanker compartments were pressure-washed as they were emptied, so you have these nice clean tanks.  Converting steel tanks is easy enough if the tanks are coated with some form of epoxy.  Chemical barges and boats do this all the time.  Now that VLCC sails up to Churchill Falls, Labrador, and loads up with fresh water from the Churchill River.  You don't need a pumping station; all you do is pipe from a point higher up and let it gush in by gravity. Bingo, another 2 million barrels of pure Canadian water, tankered over to England from Canada. OK, you do have to pay for pumping at the UK end, to get it into the reservoir, and perhaps pass it through some oil-water separator just as a safeguard to any residual oil, but one ship sure carries a lot of water! 

And if you have surplus tonnage in the tanker trade, then instead of scrapping or mothballing, simply divert it to the water-carriage trade. Could work. 

Jan, If half of your 160 gals/day/person in the US were due to flushing then we would be the United States of Sore Behinds! We have 1.2 gallons per flush toilets here. That would mean 80 gallons divided by 1.2 gallons per flush which would amount to 67 flushes per day per person! Ouch!!! If my household flushed that many times a day I would go bankrupt on Charmin rather quickly. I hold a license with the state of Texas for installing OSSF systems, AKA septic systems. I know Sh**tuff!   

An average household uses an estimated 250 to 300 gallons a day. That includes flushing, bathing, drinking, cooking, cleaning the kitchen, clothes, house, etc. You will only see 160 gals/day/person when you get into the areas of the country that use lots of water for keeping landscaping alive in the hot months...like here in Texas. That water for irrigation does not get figured into the OSSF but is still a very real use of precious water that is IMO not necessary!

If the Brits are really running out of water then they should be able to capture copious amounts of water from their own rooftops. Doesn't it rain a LOT over there?

R2020

Edited by MUI
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 2

(edited)

20 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

No worries, because Climate Change will destroy all of humanity in less than 12 years.  Thus sayeth the new breed of intellectual-esque environmental extremists.

It might help if the various environmental scaremongering groups would communicate a bit more with each other and come up a year agreed on by 97% of scientists for the world to end due to Climate Change planetary catastrophic failure.  Death by cow farts seems like a great incentive to avoid this tragedy.

dd7088bfd0b9abff352e80cffe2be9d55c05c571404fe5f455d85bc54ccd3445.png

ec5638aee24a1a9754c082bde68b53ce5cd367f6da49bc84949f5d6ab390fc5e.png

Smart water meters incoming, vodafone stocks up as Internet of things to become mandated for every service that can be taxed.

Edited by Arjun
  • Haha 1