Marina Schwarz

England Running Out of Water?

5 minutes ago, Arjun said:

Smart water meters incoming, vodafone stocks up as Internet of things to become mandated for every service that can be taxed.

Carbon Taxes seem to upset Yellow Jackets.

Just a friendly reminder to the tax and spend other people's money crowd.

Poke the nest at your own risk.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

Desalination is very expensive.

The dirty water goes into the world toilet - the oceans.

Actually I know this one well..  Studies have shown the cost to move water to LA and San Diego from  North California. is nearly  equivalent to desalination.  Moving water is 20% of the electricity consumption for California ..  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

No worries, because Climate Change will destroy all of humanity in less than 12 years.  Thus sayeth the new breed of intellectual-esque environmental extremists.

It might help if the various environmental scaremongering groups would communicate a bit more with each other and come up a year agreed on by 97% of scientists for the world to end due to Climate Change planetary catastrophic failure.  Death by cow farts seems like a great incentive to avoid this tragedy.

dd7088bfd0b9abff352e80cffe2be9d55c05c571404fe5f455d85bc54ccd3445.png

ec5638aee24a1a9754c082bde68b53ce5cd367f6da49bc84949f5d6ab390fc5e.png

I accidentally done a research on that question while preparing my presentation on development; livability of cities and neglected signs of climate change in a country a year ago. To provide a guideline to the representative please refer below:

https://www.thelocal.de/20140128/flatulent-cows-set-fire-to-german-farm

Cows at a dairy farm in central Germany created enough methane gas to set their stalls ablaze and damage a barn roof, police said on Monday......................  The gas reacted with static energy from a massaging machine in the stalls, which is used to increase milk production, creating flames which soon spread. 

Dear Commies......... haven't a warning was issued earlier regarding massaging the cows??
  On 12/15/2018 at 1:24 AM, Jan van Eck said:

If the biofuel source is cow manure then there is an effectively infinite amount to collect, and the supply chain is assured in volume.  The cows never stop pooping.  Although there are other means to dispose of manure, including as a soils replacement for badly degraded landscapes, so as to accept trees planting, and when dried as a boiler fuel for steam generation  (cow manure has the caloric content of sub-bituminous coal), there is still far more manure than immediate prospects to consume it.  Converting manure into an oil chemical is a brilliant idea, as long as the money aspect works out.  If the process is cost upside-down, then it is effectively hopeless.   Cheers.

uuhhh... pardon me... a soft reminder of a nuance fact : DO NOT massage the cows............. Otherwise the cows might do more than pooping. (whispering mode.............) They would fart too.......... and fart too much.......... The cows are currently taking the blame of releasing one quarter or one third of greenhouse gases globally..........

13 hours ago, Happy Go Lucky said:

" An average of 140 litres daily?  "

~ 36 gallons a day -- That's a fart in the wind :S

Average daily US water usage: - How much water does the average person use at home per day? Estimates vary, but each person uses about 80-100 gallons of water per day.

There has been a common practice in the temperate regions where people bath once a week or twice a month; drink less water sweat less; and flush less toilet................ This point brings to" the origin of perfume" and the oringinal function of it.......... ( A side point: the evolution of perfume highlights a funny fact i.e Eau de toilette is more expensive than Eau de Parfum............ both were displayed on the same shelf used by mankind at the airport.......... a marketing benefit of foreign language label which people can not understand......................)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MUI said:

Jan, If half of your 160 gals/day/person in the US were due to flushing then we would be the United States of Sore Behinds! We have 1.2 gallons per flush toilets here. That would mean 80 gallons divided by 1.2 gallons per flush which would amount to 67 flushes per day per person! Ouch!!! If my household flushed that many times a day I would go bankrupt on Charmin rather quickly. I hold a license with the state of Texas for installing OSSF systems, AKA septic systems. I know Sh**tuff!   

An average household uses an estimated 250 to 300 gallons a day. That includes flushing, bathing, drinking, cooking, cleaning the kitchen, clothes, house, etc. You will only see 160 gals/day/person when you get into the areas of the country that use lots of water for keeping landscaping alive in the hot months...like here in Texas. That water for irrigation does not get figured into the OSSF but is still a very real use of precious water that is IMO not necessary!

If the Brits are really running out of water then they should be able to capture copious amounts of water from their own rooftops. Doesn't it rain a LOT over there?

R2020

It does but mostly in the North & west. In the SE east with the dense populations its very dry with rainfall typically around 600mm a year. 

Various proposals have been mooted including a national grid and Desal.

I often thought that had the UK had a decent nuclear programme it could build desal plants using the waste heat from power stations in Suffolk and Essex (Sizewell & Bradwell) which are in the south east and driest parts of the Country. 

The other side of the coin is demand. UK population growing by upto 500,000 per year thanks to successive governments 'pop growth 4-eva' mantra to turn the UK into the most over populated country in the World. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MUI said:

An average household uses an estimated 250 to 300 gallons a day. That includes flushing, bathing, drinking, cooking, cleaning the kitchen, clothes, house, etc. You will only see 160 gals/day/person when you get into the areas of the country that use lots of water for keeping landscaping alive in the hot months...like here in Texas.

Yup, you are correct, that 160 gal/day/person includes all sanitary uses, especially bathing and clothes washing.  I spoke out of turn.  

I live out here in the country and have a well, which draws from groundwater, of which there is lots and lots, as this is a quite wet part of the USA.  Water use is not even on the radar here.  Now, when sitting over the Ogallala Aquifer, which is getting pumped down at an alarming rate, the use of glacial legacy water is a serious big deal.  The States that border the Great Lakes are so worried about legacy water use, and the pumping dry of the Colorado River, that they have formed the Interstate Great Lakes Compact, and included Ontario (Canada), limiting water draw to only local lake-border communities, for which the Compact has to issue a Permit.  The idea was to place a huge obstacle to the Southwest States building a big pipeline from the Great Lakes down to say Nevada and re-charging the reservoirs there with Northern water.

That idea is not a s far-fetched as you might imagine.  The West-Coast States of California, Oregon and Washington were toying with a project known as NAWAPA, or North American Water and Power Association, specifically to build a huge pipe and canal system for moving water from North to South.  It keeps surfacing but seems to go nowhere. 

One interesting project that I was looking at was the construction of water-diversion pipelines from North Central North Dakota to the Southwest, using the Colorado River.  There is a lake in ND called "Devil's Lake," which lies in a caldera with no outlet.  The water flowing in is consumed only by local agriculture and evaporation.  Devil's Lake has been filling up and expanding at a dramatic rate, rising over 25 feet vertically in two decades, to the point where it has flooded out the State there and expanded that lake all the way to Canada.  Lots and lots of farmland are gone, plus a major line of the BNSF railroad, now buried underneath the lake which, like some prehistoric monster, just gobbles everything up.  Check it out:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfVZFK9ZsiA&feature=related

Keep in mind that that raging lake used to be fertile farmland.  As for the boulders being tossed up onto the road, necessitating running behind a snowplow to clear a path for the following traffic, it is so bad that you can only run in that area in convoy.  Ugh.

To grasp the extent of the flooding and the damage, try this sweeping aerial view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmyEkbrVDJY

My solution to this was to lay pipe to the headwaters of the Colorado, then drill a big tunnel to the River, and pump using the power module from a decommissioned nuclear submarine, which would give you 100 MW basically for free.  When the Ohio had a fire and was ordered scrapped, its reactor was new enough; instead of scrapping, all the govt had to do was tow the sub, lightened by removal off all the heavy stuff and the heavy plate for depth pressure, and cutting off the tail with the props and installing hefty generators on the output shaft instead, and tow it up the Missouri to a point near the West end of Devil's Lake, and then run 60 miles of high-tension wire over to the pumping station. I got back a rather stupid letter in response to my detailed proposal, demonstrating that precisely nobody inside the US Government had any imagination, the whole place being dull bureaucrats.  And that, folks, is why the country is in so much trouble:  everyone sitting around watching "The Biggest Loser" on the television, instead of studying physics.  Oh, well. 

• Great Response! 2

17 hours ago, shadowkin said:

Well, well who woulda thought Britain's very own Deep State woulda lied to their populace all those years ago about needing all those Pakis. Probably told the same lies too. They do work others won't, we need them for economic growth,...enjoy becoming New Pakistan with open air sewers.

That particular group have some of the the highest unemployment rates in the UK and we are often talking about 2nd / 3rd generation immigrants. 

Before people cry racism - Indians, who are of the the same broad ethnic group have very low rates of unemployment

image.png.e961f544bad3d2817a8fb12b5b5c54d2.png

The following consumption data sheds light on our daily relationship with water:

• A bath: 150-300 litres
  • Shower: 50-100 litres
  • Flushing a toilet: 10 litres
  • Washing dishes by hand: 23 litres
  • Dishwasher: 20-40 litres.
  • Washing machine: 40-80 litres
  • Defrosting food under the tap: 25 litres
  • Leaving the water running for 1.5 minutes while you brush your teeth can use more than 18 litres.
  • Washing your car with a hose: 200-500 litres.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NickW said:

It does but mostly in the North & west. In the SE east with the dense populations its very dry with rainfall typically around 600mm a year. 

Various proposals have been mooted including a national grid and Desal.

I often thought that had the UK had a decent nuclear programme it could build desal plants using the waste heat from power stations in Suffolk and Essex (Sizewell & Bradwell) which are in the south east and driest parts of the Country. 

The other side of the coin is demand. UK population growing by upto 500,000 per year thanks to successive governments 'pop growth 4-eva' mantra to turn the UK into the most over populated country in the World. 

We have water conservation issues here in Texas too. We have also experienced massive population growth from immigration from our southern neighbor, Mexico as well as from all over the US and this, combined with our hot summers has our infrastructure stretched to the breaking point. We have mandatory water use restrictions just about every summer.

I hope you all can can find a solution for your issues. It's kind of difficult to do without water!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

One interesting project that I was looking at was the construction of water-diversion pipelines from North Central North Dakota to the Southwest, using the Colorado River. 

Are you talking about the Colorado River that drains the western slope of the Rockies? If so, it's going to take a lot of power to move that water such a great distance and elevation over the continental divide at any significant volume. Probably run into issues with water quality/compatibility by dumping ND water into the Colorado River's ecosystem. 

R2020

2 hours ago, MUI said:

Are you talking about the Colorado River that drains the western slope of the Rockies? If so, it's going to take a lot of power to move that water such a great distance and elevation over the continental divide at any significant volume. Probably run into issues with water quality/compatibility by dumping ND water into the Colorado River's ecosystem.

Yes, that's right.  However, it is not necessary to go "up and over."  You can also go "through," by tunnelling to some point where the elevations will work out.   Keeping in mind that the power is essentially "free," from a decommissioned submarine reactor, the power use can be shrugged off. 

Will there be "ecosystem" issues?  Possibly.  But keep in mind that the Colorado is a closed system, it runs and drains through canyons, then is pumped off into concrete canals to serve Las Vegas and Los Angeles.  At this point what is there to preserve in the ecosystem realm?  Nothing.  (OK, so call me a barbarian.)

If that idea is a no-go, then you can construct the aqueduct down into the Southern Plains, and let it filter out through a web of new lakes or ponds into the soil to re-charge the aquifers underneath.  Right now, the current situation is vast amounts of North Dakota farmland is badly flooded, and there is no logical outlet for the water that would not cause more damage somewhere else - other than removal by an aqueduct. Cheers.

(edited)

1 hour ago, Jan van Eck said:

Will there be "ecosystem" issues?  Possibly.  But keep in mind that the Colorado is a closed system, it runs and drains through canyons, then is pumped off into concrete canals to serve Las Vegas and Los Angeles.  At this point what is there to preserve in the ecosystem realm?  Nothing.  (OK, so call me a barbarian.)

You mean certainly.

Salton sea is a good example of what happens when people poke around too much. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salton_Sea

Edited by Enthalpic

On 3/19/2019 at 11:23 AM, MUI said:

I have never been to the UK but was always under the assumption that they get a LOT of rain.

UK gets about 33 inches a year

San Antonio gets about 30 inches a year.

Not a lot of difference between the two, except that in the UK they get a lot of light rain and drizzle.In Texas we seem to get all that 30 inches in about 6 big storms.

(edited)

11 hours ago, Refman said:

UK gets about 33 inches a year

San Antonio gets about 30 inches a year.

Not a lot of difference between the two, except that in the UK they get a lot of light rain and drizzle.In Texas we seem to get all that 30 inches in about 6 big storms.

Yeah, and when you consider the fact that we are in the 90s to 100+ from April to October and they are wearing sweaters all summer, we have a much higher loss of moisture from evaporation. We get the light rain and drizzle in the winter and it is this moisture that does us the most good since it comes slower and has a chance to soak into the ground without getting burned off by the summer heat.

R2020

Edited by MUI

Quite appalled by some of the racist comments I have read in this thread !

Seriously, some of you are really living up to the stereotypical american idiot image. !!! I can understand some of our fellow Europeans being a bit miffed with us right now so I can see why they show delight in silly stories like lack of condoms etc, but come on, some of you seriously need to look at yourself ! Just so you know, one of the largest condom factories in Europe is 20 miles away from my house who actually export 60% of thier products so not quite sure what that journalist has been smoking ! The fact that we are the first domino to fall must be getting to them. Its not our fault we do not want to be part of an un-elected group of bullies that want to take more than they give. We had a referendum to decide that just incase you missed it !!! Others will follow over the next ten years trust me.

Do you actually think that we do not know how to capture rain water and return it to our system ? seriously ? Doesn't it rain a lot over there ??? omg its embarressing. Are you children pretending to be adults by any chance ? Britain is situated underneath numerous weatherfronts and YES we get a lot of rain. tut tut.

It is really quite simple, as some of the more educated posters have eluded too, we have not grown our infrastructure to coincide with the rise of immigration for a variety of reasons. There are 65m people in a country the size of a state in the US. That means people from Europe as well as people from from all over the world who have settled here over the last 20 years and have added to water consumption levels and guess what, they have a right to go to the toilet, wash themselves and drink free water just like the rest of us. SHOCKING I KNOW !!! To put posts on here saying that it is people from Pakistans fault and we will live in open sewers is just disgusting and offensive, there is no place for that on what I would generally call an excellent site with very interesting blogs and discussions which are usually partaken by people of intellect.

I am a caucasian man, English and proud and incase you are wondering I voted to remain in the union because I honestly believed we are stronger together but now (like many people like me) I now have changed my mind. A lot of that is down to the bigotry of our European counterparts which is evident in this thread. The levels of immigration will slow considerably and I am 100% sure that some of the oldest water companies in existence will invest in the infrastructure and build more resevoirs and fix leaks (which is the biggest problem). Unfortunately in this TRUMP era, any bold statement can be released to get attention and then forgotten about 2 weeks later and this would not be the first time the EA has done that !

One thing I would have done before creating this post is check what the average water consuption levels are in general, I am glad some of the other posters rectified that for you..... poor research !!

14 minutes ago, Iain09 said:

Quite appalled by some of the racist comments I have read in this thread !

Seriously, some of you are really living up to the stereotypical american idiot image. !!! I can understand some of our fellow Europeans being a bit miffed with us right now so I can see why they show delight in silly stories like lack of condoms etc, but come on, some of you seriously need to look at yourself ! Just so you know, one of the largest condom factories in Europe is 20 miles away from my house who actually export 60% of thier products so not quite sure what that journalist has been smoking ! The fact that we are the first domino to fall must be getting to them. Its not our fault we do not want to be part of an un-elected group of bullies that want to take more than they give. We had a referendum to decide that just incase you missed it !!! Others will follow over the next ten years trust me.

Do you actually think that we do not know how to capture rain water and return it to our system ? seriously ? Doesn't it rain a lot over there ??? omg its embarressing. Are you children pretending to be adults by any chance ? Britain is situated underneath numerous weatherfronts and YES we get a lot of rain. tut tut.

It is really quite simple, as some of the more educated posters have eluded too, we have not grown our infrastructure to coincide with the rise of immigration for a variety of reasons. There are 65m people in a country the size of a state in the US. That means people from Europe as well as people from from all over the world who have settled here over the last 20 years and have added to water consumption levels and guess what, they have a right to go to the toilet, wash themselves and drink free water just like the rest of us. SHOCKING I KNOW !!! To put posts on here saying that it is people from Pakistans fault and we will live in open sewers is just disgusting and offensive, there is no place for that on what I would generally call an excellent site with very interesting blogs and discussions which are usually partaken by people of intellect.

I am a caucasian man, English and proud and incase you are wondering I voted to remain in the union because I honestly believed we are stronger together but now (like many people like me) I now have changed my mind. A lot of that is down to the bigotry of our European counterparts which is evident in this thread. The levels of immigration will slow considerably and I am 100% sure that some of the oldest water companies in existence will invest in the infrastructure and build more resevoirs and fix leaks (which is the biggest problem). Unfortunately in this TRUMP era, any bold statement can be released to get attention and then forgotten about 2 weeks later and this would not be the first time the EA has done that !

One thing I would have done before creating this post is check what the average water consuption levels are in general, I am glad some of the other posters rectified that for you..... poor research !!

Had a big delivery of straw today? 

I wouldn't target any particular ethnic group but I think its quite reasonable for people to question the logic of the UK's mass immigration policy that has added up to 500,000 people a year from 1997 when prior to that from 1945 to 1997 typical net migration into the UK was 30-50K a year. 

No, we have no water for the grass to grow unfortunately !! and you have targeteted an ethnic group, 3rd generation immigrants as you call them are now doctor's, scientists and business owners who speak the language and are fully intergrated into our society. Is that the same for the Indians that you mentioned earlier ?

Thank you for the stat and it is a sound one, I think that you will find free movement of the union being the culprit, in other words we had no choice if we wanted to be part of the union. The fact that we have a benefits system which a lot of european countries did not enjoy also contributed to the willingness of relocation. plum

1 hour ago, NickW said:

Had a big delivery of straw today? 

I wouldn't target any particular ethnic group but I think its quite reasonable for people to question the logic of the UK's mass immigration policy that has added up to 500,000 people a year from 1997 when prior to that from 1945 to 1997 typical net migration into the UK was 30-50K a year. 

This may help

image.png

image.png

• Great Response! 1

(edited)

6 minutes ago, Iain09 said:

This may help

image.png

image.png

Replacing manufacturing jobs with 16 hour a week cleaners on WTC? 

1 hour ago, Iain09 said:

No, we have no water for the grass to grow unfortunately !! and you have targeteted an ethnic group, 3rd generation immigrants as you call them are now doctor's, scientists and business owners who speak the language and are fully intergrated into our society. Is that the same for the Indians that you mentioned earlier ?

Thank you for the stat and it is a sound one, I think that you will find free movement of the union being the culprit, in other words we had no choice if we wanted to be part of the union. The fact that we have a benefits system which a lot of european countries did not enjoy also contributed to the willingness of relocation. plum

That particular  group with a nationality identity has some of the highest unemployment rates in the UK. I don't think this is down to racism because another group of the same ethnic background have relatively low levels of unemployment. 

Free movement in the EU hasn't helped either along with the largess of the UK's not contributory benefits system. Personally I'd replace it with a universal basic income for which at least 2 years tax and NI has to be paid to qualify. 

A UBI would also help a lot of workers retrain from occupations which are no longer in demand in the UK as it would provide them with a basic income while out of the workforce. 

Edited by NickW

(edited)

42 minutes ago, NickW said:

Replacing manufacturing jobs with 16 hour a week cleaners on WTC? 

That particular  group with a nationality identity has some of the highest unemployment rates in the UK. I don't think this is down to racism because another group of the same ethnic background have relatively low levels of unemployment. 

Free movement in the EU hasn't helped either along with the largess of the UK's not contributory benefits system. Personally I'd replace it with a universal basic income for which at least 2 years tax and NI has to be paid to qualify. 

A UBI would also help a lot of workers retrain from occupations which are no longer in demand in the UK as it would provide them with a basic income while out of the workforce. 

I am sorry Nick but without identfying the particular group & another group from the same background I can't confirm that and accept it, however I do agree with the rest of what you have written and it is logical, and you do make a point about the change in work contracts and job types. The people who are lets say cleaning for 16 hours a week are generously supported with tax relief and benefits hence making it more attractive than doing the same job in different countries lets say. I am not saying that is right or wrong, we all want a better life hey ? well most anyway and that is usually linked to money with the greatest of respect. One fact that is prominent though is that immigration can drive GDP and we control NON-EU immigration to an extent adding the skills we need, with EU migration (which has also helped GDP growth) we can have people entering the UK with skills we need as well but unfortunately we can not stop the ones who do not come here to work which backs up one of your points about benefit qualifications etc because simply it just wouldn't be worth it and if controlled correctly could benefit us and not hinder. Also the elephant in the room is that we as a society brought non-eu migrants in to do the jobs we generally felt we did not want to do in the 70's (note that our unemployment levels were lower than 3%). Young people who go through our education system probably do not aspire to be a cleaner or a bin man (not knocking the professions) which is why that particular generation have produced offspring who are as british as you and I who take up technical careers and contribute to the top level of the jobs market as well as the bottom. Plus as you know, more workers equals more tax income and less cost to the government.

I really like the UBI point, I think that it is very sensible. I think workers at Jag/Landrover and Wedgewood ceramics would agree too. Maybe limit it to technology based careers, Internet, computers, robotics, the kind of job skills which we are behind with compared to other developed nations.

Or digging new resevoirs.......

Edited by Iain09
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 2:35 AM, Guillaume Albasini said:

image.png.e961f544bad3d2817a8fb12b5b5c54d2.png

The following consumption data sheds light on our daily relationship with water:

• A bath: 150-300 litres
  • Shower: 50-100 litres
  • Flushing a toilet: 10 litres
  • Washing dishes by hand: 23 litres
  • Dishwasher: 20-40 litres.
  • Washing machine: 40-80 litres
  • Defrosting food under the tap: 25 litres
  • Leaving the water running for 1.5 minutes while you brush your teeth can use more than 18 litres.
  • Washing your car with a hose: 200-500 litres.

COMPLETE HOGWASH data.  Must have a LARGE portion of agriculture water use in that data, or more than likely, they pulled it out of their nether regions. 

Live on a well with large tanks we manually fill up and switch between as the water has to oxidize/settle for 2 weeks before use as we have iron, manganese and zinc and it turns black/orange.  Know exactly how much water we use.  Family of 4.  We use about 120(480L) gallons/day during winter and 150gallons/day(600L) in the summer.  That is 4X less than the stated data above.  Yes, we have a lawn and a garden as well. No we do not conserve water.  We are on a well and septic.

We all take showers everyday without a low flow shower head and sometimes 2 in summer  In fact, we have it drilled out for a nice HARD hot shower.

Have an old top loading washing machine which is NOT water friendly, but I do not care as the hot water comes from the sun.  Solar Thermal on our roof and large hot water tank.  Does for heating the house as well.

Wash by hand the dishes, but will soon be installing a dishwasher which uses ~4 gallons.

A toilet that is OLD and have it set to an EXTRA full flush which uses 3.5gallons per flush for a certain member of the family who quite often does a double and there is no half flush option for #1....

And... NO one uses 200-->500 liters to wash their car.  Or brushes their teeth for 1.5Minutes.... What idiot wrote this?  You are LUCKY if anyone(myself or kids) brush their teeth for 15 seconds, let alone 90 seconds!!!!  What idiot wrote this?  Oh right, some environmental wack job who is on a religious zealot dogma parade. 

Now the damned CITIES use massive amounts of water manicuring all their road sidewalk strips making sure the grass is bright green in the height of summer...  Don't forget the golf courses which use more water than most cities for rich snots to wag their stick around on...

Of course Just as in the USA, England, or anywhere else, Agriculture uses the vast majority of the water.  Not people.  Exceptions do exist, but lets not kid ourselves.  Drizzly England has tons of water.  Just has to build the dams/infrastructure for its use. 

• Like 1

Water conservation is the key. California wastes twice as much water as it needs to use. They lost trillions of gallons to the oceans this rainy season. https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-rainwater-lost-wet-winter-california-20190220-story.html

The idea of England having a water shortage is ludicrous. 

I have a topic on Water Conservation https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s6vxrBPC_8XYQgSNK7-UuNbqsdDKflhXPDeswYFKDt0/edit  

• Great Response! 1

6 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Water conservation is the key. California wastes twice as much water as it needs to use. They lost trillions of gallons to the oceans this rainy season. https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-rainwater-lost-wet-winter-california-20190220-story.html

I have a topic on Water Conservation https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s6vxrBPC_8XYQgSNK7-UuNbqsdDKflhXPDeswYFKDt0/edit  

Mate, I have spent most of my morning reading your information 🙂 Very interesting and I learned something new !

The global sea levels are rising for sure, for whatever reason, global warming being the main contributor as far as I can tell, but the rain that eventually falls on us starts it journey from the sea and evaporates once the moisture build up turns too heavy. Up in the echelons it is pretty cold and melts on the way down unless we are talking about high ground where it is usually snow, with that in mind do you think we will be getting more and more rain as sea levels go up and the globe becomes warmer as that is the recipe for the whole fresh water process ? bearing in mind little old England is underneath a triple weatherfront where hot air and cold air collide.

We love our spring water over here, the biggest problem I can see is not that it is running out, it's how we can keep the small particles of plastic out of it 🙂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43388870

Over 250 bottles from various brands had plastic particles in them, not sure on the exact PPM but still quite alarming. Research led by journalism organisation Orb Media discovered an average of 10 plastic particles per litre, each larger than the width of a human hair. urrrrgh ! This test was conducted in New York. My understanding is that spring water suppliers use a 2 micron filter when bottling the product.

You can then trade that risk against water from the tap which comes through the treatment process here in the UK, the only problem with that it is highly likely some of it has passed through other humans, animals and aggriculture and waste water treatment plants which as you know is a chemical process.

I generally love science but when you get an understanding of microbiology it really turns you off water 🙂

image.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wastral said:

COMPLETE HOGWASH data.  Must have a LARGE portion of agriculture water use in that data, or more than likely, they pulled it out of their nether regions. 

Live on a well with large tanks we manually fill up and switch between as the water has to oxidize/settle for 2 weeks before use as we have iron, manganese and zinc and it turns black/orange.  Know exactly how much water we use.  Family of 4.  We use about 120(480L) gallons/day during winter and 150gallons/day(600L) in the summer.  That is 4X less than the stated data above.  Yes, we have a lawn and a garden as well. No we do not conserve water.  We are on a well and septic.

We all take showers everyday without a low flow shower head and sometimes 2 in summer  In fact, we have it drilled out for a nice HARD hot shower.

Have an old top loading washing machine which is NOT water friendly, but I do not care as the hot water comes from the sun.  Solar Thermal on our roof and large hot water tank.  Does for heating the house as well.

Wash by hand the dishes, but will soon be installing a dishwasher which uses ~4 gallons.

A toilet that is OLD and have it set to an EXTRA full flush which uses 3.5gallons per flush for a certain member of the family who quite often does a double and there is no half flush option for #1....

And... NO one uses 200-->500 liters to wash their car.  Or brushes their teeth for 1.5Minutes.... What idiot wrote this?  You are LUCKY if anyone(myself or kids) brush their teeth for 15 seconds, let alone 90 seconds!!!!  What idiot wrote this?  Oh right, some environmental wack job who is on a religious zealot dogma parade. 

Now the damned CITIES use massive amounts of water manicuring all their road sidewalk strips making sure the grass is bright green in the height of summer...  Don't forget the golf courses which use more water than most cities for rich snots to wag their stick around on...

Of course Just as in the USA, England, or anywhere else, Agriculture uses the vast majority of the water.  Not people.  Exceptions do exist, but lets not kid ourselves.  Drizzly England has tons of water.  Just has to build the dams/infrastructure for its use. 

The water agriculture uses in most cases doesn't come off the municipal supply

The 740L / head is basically all municipal supplied water which will include supply to businesses divided by population count. Its not a measure solely of domestic consumption

• Like 1