Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PP

The Political Debacle: Brexit delayed

Prime Minister Theresa May requested a three-month delay to Brexit on Wednesday after her failure to get a deal ratified by parliament left the United Kingdom’s divorce from the European Union in turmoil. Nearly three years the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union and nine days before the formal exit deadline, British politicians are still arguing over how, when or even if the world’s fifth largest economy should leave the bloc it first joined 1973. When May set the March 29 exit date two years ago by serving the formal Article 50 divorce papers, she declared there would be “no turning back” but parliament’s refusal to ratify the withdrawal deal she agreed with the EU has thrust her government into crisis. Now, May has written to European Council President Donald Tusk to ask for a delay until June 30. “As prime minister I am not prepared to delay Brexit any further than the 30th of June,” May told a rowdy session of parliament.

The worst PM ever..definitely.

It was: another two weeks; another month; another week; another few days; oh, another a few months..

It will not help. There are no miracle cures yet to be found for the brexit problem that the UK has gotten itself into. It 's much easier to say you have changed your mind and call it off the loose some political points but at least you will not destroy your nation.

And so the saga continues....

image.png.13f399814051ec5e98a827298caaa5a8.png

Brexit delayed is Brexit betrayed... So, white flag. 

Head in the sand.. And the 108 times she said "we were leaving in March"? And she will write again on June 21st for another extension.

I hope the EU will reject her approach as kicking the can down the road for a few more weeks is not a solid proposal. Without goal, without strategy - it's Brexit from the start.

The amateur psychologist in me says that she’ll have made her mind to go if at the end of this three month period it’s not through. ‘Enough is enough’ I can hear her saying to herself....

image.png.37acb756006d2565f035db0cc00632e3.png

Theresa May : - I am therefore writing to inform the European Council that the UK is seeking an extension to the Article 50 period under Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union  until 30 June 2019.

Donald Tusk : - In the light of the consultations that I have conducted over the past days, I believe that a short extension would be possible. But it would be conditional on a positive vote on the withdrawal agreement in the House of Commons.

John Bercow (speaker of the House of Commons) : - "What the government cannot legitimately do is resubmit to the House the same proposition -- or substantially the same proposition -- as that of last week, which was rejected by 149 votes,"

Theresa May : - The Speaker of the House of Commons said on Monday that in order for a further meaningful vote to be brought back to the House of Commons, the agreement would have to be "fundamentally different-not different in terms of wording, but different in terms of substance". Some Members of Parliament have interpreted that this means a further change to the deal. This position has made it impossible in practice to call a further vote in advance of the European Council. However, it remains my intention to bring the deal back to the House.

So it may look like that....

image.png.c370a69117187f4526f320ae15e4f8cb.png

Some people may recall the 2000 'hanging chad' debacle in Florida (Bush vs Gore). There is an exchange for betting on political outcomes: https://www.predictit.org/. This exchange was split right down the middle in 2000 - this meant the people making bets evidently 'just didn't have a clue'. As it turns out, the market made a very accurate prediction of the 'real world' outcome.

With that in mind, I leave the following for your perusal.

image.thumb.png.d086fbd72687d1d5d19d551697b79194.png