EA

Mexico Demands Spain and the Vatican Apologize to Indigenous People for the Spanish Conquest

Mexico's president has demanded both Spain and the Vatican apologize to the indigenous people of Mexico for the Spanish conquest 500 years ago.

It's unknown if Mexico is demanding Aztec descendants apologize to the descendants of Cortes' Tlaxcalan allies, whose people were taken for human sacrifice by the Aztecs.

Also unknown is if Mexico's mestizos will apologize to the indigenous people for their treatment today.

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah I saw this earlier today. What a bold move by the President to demand such an apology. You make an excellent point regarding the Mestizo's modern day role to the indigenous people of Mexico. Mexico battles with an internal racism between the "white, mestizo, and indigenous". It's very unfortunate, but I believe Mexico is making improvements - slowly, but it's getting out of that mindset. 

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1

It's funny because just a few weeks before this a white or mestizo actor was caught on tape calling the indigenous actress in 'Roma' a 'f*king Indian'. She received a lot of abuse on social media from Mexicans.

Even funnier is Mexicans in the US compete with blacks for being the poorest so I'm unsure where this attitude of superiority comes from.

• Like 2

It's extremely unfortunate - it happens throughout the whole world. Everyone needs to have somebody else to pick on. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, shadowkin said:

Mexico's president has demanded both Spain and the Vatican apologize to the indigenous people of Mexico for the Spanish conquest 500 years ago.

It's unknown if Mexico is demanding Aztec descendants apologize to the descendants of Cortes' Tlaxcalan allies, whose people were taken for human sacrifice by the Aztecs.

Also unknown is if Mexico's mestizos will apologize to the indigenous people for their treatment today.

apologies, apologies, apologies.... (sigh)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rodent said:

apologies, apologies, apologies.... (sigh)

Rodent, I didn't realize that you had converted to Canadian.

Presumably, then, the Aztecs should apologize for cutting beating hearts out of the hapless members of other tribes in the area that got caught up in their ceremonies.

If one has two parents and four grandparents, then one has as many as 1000 ancestors at the 10th generation. One has a maximum of 1 million ancestors in the 20th generation, and 1 billion ancestors in the 30th generation. 30 x 25 years = 750 years, or roughly 1250 AD. However, in many points in time a 'generation' was more in the period of 20 years, or 600 years, tracking back to 1400 AD.

While Spain might 'apologize', the average Spaniard right now has probably got lots of ancestry that tracks back to the New World, including Mexico and Peru and some of the other areas where the Spanish were particularly exploitative. So perhaps they should go to their local church, light a candle, and apologize to themselves.

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, shadowkin said:

It's funny because just a few weeks before this a white or mestizo actor was caught on tape calling the indigenous actress in 'Roma' a 'f*king Indian'. She received a lot of abuse on social media from Mexicans.

Even funnier is Mexicans in the US compete with blacks for being the poorest so I'm unsure where this attitude of superiority comes from.

I'm not sure it is a feeling of superiority so much as it is the soup of the day. puke. I guess the cool thing for me to do now is to apologize to myself for being white and Native American.  There. I have forgiven myself.  Back to work I go. 

• Like 2

our messages crossed, @Meredith Poor, you read my mind. 

18 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Rodent, I didn't realize that you had converted to Canadian.

I'm not sure I understand your reference, but knowing you I am sure it is funny and so I laughed anyway :).  I lived near the Canadian border for many years if that means anything. I said "eh?" after every sentence most my childhood.

that leads me to my next question. do I need to apologize for not being Canadian? it's really hard to wrap my head around this whole apology thing. 

for anyone keeping track, that would be my biggest campaign promise. I will not apologize for my race, my gender, my privilege, my residency... and so on.

R2020

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The President of Mexico is doing the same as Trump...Playing to his Base.  As in this Country, some African American Politicians Play to there Base by wanting Apologies and Reparations for Slavery.  As in Trump's 10' Thick 50' High Wall....it ain't Happening.

11 hours ago, tldpdb1 said:

As in Trump's 10' Thick 50' High Wall....it ain't Happening.

Nope