Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fb

Facebook Is Banning White Nationalism And White Separatism

Facebook will now treat content posted by users about white nationalism and white separatist topics as hate speech, banning content and phrases associated to the movements, and targeting specific hate speech, according to a report by Motherboard on Wednesday. Facebook already considers white supremacy to be hate speech, and the new policy recognizes the overlap between traditional white supremacy and movements like so-called white separatism and white nationalism. Facebook Counterterrorism Policy Director Brian Fishman told Motherboar d that the company had discussed the matter with more than 20 civil rights organizations and race relations experts before coming to the decision.

I thought hate groups are, usually, illegal?

• Like 1

NIce FB. They could make Zuckerberg  walk on water.  I still wouldn't go back to  Fb

It will stop them? I'm not sure, real answer must be pro action, not post reaction

image.png.6c7410c9d267a48fe29284d362a9d45a.png

"Facebook Is Banning White Nationalism And White Separatism"

We could say progress. But. The only time you seem to be able to get a serious response out of these people is when there’s a tragedy. That's why our governments need to hold social platforms to account for their inaction on hate.

I usually hate bans but this one I support.... It's about time!!! It seems that Facebook (finally) has figured out how to do it.

Great new start but not enough. I hope, FB decided not to be more just a cesspool of disinformation and hard speech....

On June 18, 2016, one of Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s most trusted lieutenants circulated an extraordinary memo weighing the costs of the company’s relentless quest for growth.

“We connect people. Period. That’s why all the work we do in growth is justified. All the questionable contact importing practices. All the subtle language that helps people stay searchable by friends. All of the work we do to bring more communication in. The work we will likely have to do in China some day. All of it,” VP Andrew “Boz” Bosworth wrote.

“So we connect more people,” he wrote in another section of the memo. “That can be bad if they make it negative. Maybe it costs someone a life by exposing someone to bullies.

“Maybe someone dies in a terrorist attack coordinated on our tools.”

Can we then ban Dems for supporting illegal immigrants and Rep’s who support companies who hire them? You gonna start burning books because you know those religions think their message is the only true one?

You need a thick skin or you will never be happy on this planet. When you ban a nasty group you are inviting others outside your belief system to ban your beliefs.

I will say this about a company. No matter what position they take they will gain and lose customers on positions they take. That is their decision or should be. Governments have laws on the books that in theory should be upheld. Unfortunately as humans, many laws are skirted and become unfunded mandates like taxes. Lol I suppose with so many split ideologies there will never be a good answer but rue the day governments take on the business of deciding the limits of free speech.