rainman

Trudeau Faces a New Foe as Conservatives Retake Power in Alberta

On 4/17/2019 at 9:12 PM, rainman said:

The return of conservatives to power in oil-rich Alberta adds another province to a growing bloc of opposition to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of Canada and his government. Incomplete returns late Tuesday night showed the United Conservative Party led by Jason Kenney, a former Conservative federal cabinet minister, leading the New Democratic Party under Rachel Notley by a substantial margin. While neither Mr. Trudeau nor his Liberal Party have ever been particularly popular in Alberta, the loss of a left-of-center ally is not welcome news for him six months before the federal election. Mr. Trudeau has been weakened by allegations from a former attorney Trudeau has been weakened by allegations from a former attorney general that he improperly intervened in a criminal case. Much of Mr. Kenney’s campaign fed on economic and political frustration in the province, which has been afflicted by job losses in the energy industry since the global collapse of oil prices more than four years ago....

On 4/17/2019 at 9:15 PM, 50 shades of black said:

It's remind me of a game of 'how far back to the stone age can you get'?

There are probably two ways how the oilers can fight against the environmentalists and climate change back-benchers:

1. we have to drain the oil as quickly as we can; grab as much profit as we can while the stock last; and go back to stone age of wood and fire or a modern solar panel and etc.

Or........

2. we have to use it sustainably so that the impact of transition will not be too much to bear within a short period of time. And then.... we go back to stone age of wood and fire; asteroid that glows with power; solar panel or something else..........

Shall there be further difficulties to co-exist........... we shall meet again in 3 years for the next summit of oilers and climate change activists....... and the next...... and the neyt..... and the nezt......... and ......... :$

On 4/17/2019 at 9:42 PM, Jan van Eck said:

But that is the story of all innovation.  The first units are incredibly expensive, and then after the guys get the feel of how to do it, the costs come tumbling down.  I bought my first electric calculator which only had four functions and it cost me $135.  Before that, we had to use slide rules. Now for $135 you would get one of those HP Scientific battery calculators with 9,000 scales on them, enough power to design the space shuttle.  

Have you attempted to buy a slide rule lately?  I actually found one in an off-campus store outside Columbia University on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.  It was covered with fifty years of dust.  The merchant charged me a hundred bucks for it  (talk about scalping!). I bought it to make my son a gift of how things used to be in science.  I don't think he ever used it, though.  Oh, well.  I tried.

Like all the educational DVDs I bought my daughter and how she didn't use them or the wonderful free internet sites out there. I would be a Jan van Eck if I had all that to work with when I was young. 

What we need is a way for smart people to get credit for teaching themselves using the internet. 

See Free Educational Sites https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nkAnzn9R7NH0LqihEeeq4be4ckBgk70YkGKbHsrnbTU/edit

On 4/18/2019 at 6:07 PM, Jan van Eck said:

Hard on the horses. 

Shoot, I forgot about that. Walking it is unless they feel they're trampling Mother Earth with excessive cruelty.

20 hours ago, Keith boyd said:

Envirotards

May I add this to my list of brave new words?