VK

Homes Near EV Charging Stations Fetch a Premium

Proximity of charging facilities boosts value of properties. A new analysis by realtor.com finds that  homes in the USA, which are located closer to the electric charging sites are averaging 1.5 times more expensive. 

The top 20 housing markets fall within nine states, with a majority of the Zip codes in California. Zip code 92618 in Irvine, California has the most charging stations, 77, while the top 20 Zip codes have an average of about 30 charging stations each. The combined median listing price for the areas that are most accommodating to electric vehicles is $782,000, 1.5 times higher than their surrounding metro areas and 2.6 times higher than the rest of the country.

• Like 1

A "hidden cost" for owning an EV?

So, I can hire an electrician, add a charging station to my house, put the house up for sale, and just wait for the bidding war?

Actually it won't help me. It's already code for my neighborhood for new builds. I love golf carts for suburbia. Still don't want an EV for driving out of the local area. And my place is pre-requirement, and while I'm a fan of renewables, no solar for this house, wrong roof orientations, and the premiums for a vehicle don't make sense to me, yet.

I'm not sure why this is. I have a plug-in hybrid (soon to change to full electric) a 5 kW solar shade structure that was installed 7 years ago, and a level 2 charger recently added. The new charger works about 3 times faster than the 120 V charger that Ford included with the car.

I would never charge my car at a commercial station, unless absolutely necessary (and with a hybrid it's never absolutely necessary). The ones I've seen usually charge about $0.50/kWh, which makes it cheaper for me to run on gasoline. The new TOU rates from San Diego Gas & Electric allow me to charge from midnight until 6:00 am at $0.09/kWh. The airport has free chargers, so I use those when away for the day.