Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AV

Musk's Promises 'Robotaxi' Network By 2020

Under Musk's strategy, the electric car maker will enable owners to add their autonomous driving-capable vehicles to a Tesla ride-sharing app, which he described as a combination of Uber and Airbnb.

“From our standpoint, if you fast forward a year, maybe a year and three months, but next year for sure, we’ll have over a million robotaxis on the road,” Musk boldly claims while comparing other cars to a horse. 

Musk unveiled a new microchip that he claimed would be “objectively” the best in the world, predicted that fully autonomous Teslas capable of operating without a human driver would be on the road by mid-2020. 

Not the first time he makes promises like this, and it wouldn't be the first time he doesn't hit a deadline. 

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/22/tesla-plans-to-launch-a-robotaxi-network-in-2020/ 

Honestly shocked they’re doing this. Just seems to be giving critics cannon fodder. I get that they’re working to improve they’re stock outlook, but promises like this will definitely backfire. I’ve followed Musk for nearly a decade and while he almost, and I said almost  always delivers on what he says, it’s never in the timeframe he specifies. 

This is typical Musk hype... Especially now that he's in a bit of financial trouble, he needs to create more hype and enthusiasm. 

He  noted $30k/year expected profit for owner of car run in taxi mode, while also saying that 0.18/mi would be costs/mile, and that rate will quickly slope down as the fleet effectively increases. 
Anyway this promise is revolutionary. Reminds me on politicians, final product is very different from initial vision.