Tom Kirkman

California is the second biggest consumer of oil in the U.S. after Texas.

57 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

So why does California apparently hate the oil & gas industry so much?  NIMBY ... ?

1893747394_OilConsumptionbystate.thumb.png.cd9a180880239462acd636ecdf1f77ca.png

16ed7fe8df25dce80fe951e9958e75ef159e1b59b4f653749f9c67a618defdd9.jpg.4ea84354acc1e93e41a75475b0ab82f5.jpg

From Oil Consumption Statistics and from The Slow Death Of Californian Oil & Gas

Because I’m lazy I’m going to ask: how does that look relative to population. Looks as if Cali would be middle of the pack on a consumption per capita basis, mostly due to the high population 

Tom,

Baffling to be sure. They could really use the money generated at the moment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Tom,

Baffling to be sure. They could really use the money generated at the moment.

Virtue signalling Trumps generating money.

(Heh heh, that's a lot of politically incorrect inferences for Trump haters in one short sentence.)

• Haha 1

California, like Florida, does not mind using oil produced in other States and letting other States shoulder any risks imposed by the exploration and production.

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1

3 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

California, like Florida, does not mind using oil produced in other States and letting other States shoulder any risks imposed by the exploration and production.

NIMBY

(Not In My Back Yard)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Haven’t been there, only visited. Seem like eccentric people though

• Like 1

I know the term well Tom, from one of my trips into the forest of academics.

Just imagine if that Californian crude was available for blending with LTO! 

Of course,,that would simply allow the death knell of the shale industry to be postponed...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

I know the term well Tom, from one of my trips into the forest of academics.

Just imagine if that Californian crude was available for blending with LTO! 

Of course,,that would simply allow the death knell of the shale industry to be postponed...

There is shale oil all over the world and lots that have not been tapped in the USA. We are just at the easy pickings so far. 

• Like 2

If this is the 'easy pickings' things should get interesting when we get to the harder to reach stuff!

The industry is swimming in debt during this 'easy pickings' season, the decline profiles will get worse, the 'sibling well' issue is not going away, etc...

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

If this is the 'easy pickings' things should get interesting when we get to the harder to reach stuff!

The industry is swimming in debt during this 'easy pickings' season, the decline profiles will get worse, the 'sibling well' issue is not going away, etc...

That's just un-American thinking, we'll just print mo' money 

• Haha 1

Heck, let California do all the NIMBY they want. There is is plenty elsewhere.

My problem with California is the amount of Californians moving to Texas. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, John Foote said:

Heck, let California do all the NIMBY they want. There is is plenty elsewhere.

My problem with California is the amount of Californians moving to Texas. 

They moved to the wonderful fine state of CO as well and now it is being turned into another Crappifornia!!

TX should "limit" immigration from CA LOL!!!

Oil & gas jobs and production and oil and gas tax revenues are going to fall in CO.

• Like 2
  • Great Response! 1
  • Haha 1

I see where they have enacted a 1% sales tax in California restaurants to fund climate change initiatives recently.

The insanity continues.

No doubt Colorado will follow suit...as they did with legalized dope, sanctuary cities, et cetera ad nausem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

I see where they have enacted a 1% sales tax in California restaurants to fund climate change initiatives recently.

The insanity continues. 

Vegan restaurant that charged men 18% more as ‘man tax’ is closing down

A vegan restaurant in Victoria, Australia that charged men 18 percent more than women is closing down.

Handsome Her, located in Brunswick, Victoria, first made headlines back in 2017 after their “man tax” sparked criticism all over the internet. The restaurant is known to give women priority seating and charge men an 18 percent premium, though the latter is not imposed. 

The taxes, which were donated to a women’s service, were meant to raise awareness regarding the gender pay gapin Australia, where women across all industries earned 17.7 percent less than men. The restaurant also serves as a safe space for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community

The restaurant, however, is closing down just two years on. 

20190425-Restaurant-man-tax.png

• Like 1

Amazing. Whyever might that be, I wonder.

What's with all the hate for California? What are they doing wrong? Please satisfy my curiosity.

5 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Amazing. Whyever might that be, I wonder.

What's with all the hate for California? What are they doing wrong? Please satisfy my curiosity.

I lived in Southern California for 3 years, many decades ago.  It's a strange place.  I don't hate California, but I do get weary of seeing California taking the lead on many occasions in trying to tell the U.S. how to live.  I much preferred living in New York City, but NYC has apparently gone a bit loco as well.

New York City's "Green New Deal" To Phase Out Red Meat By 50%

New York City's recently-approved "Green New Deal" (not to be confused with Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's environmental wish-list) will slash the amount of red meat served in municipally-run facilities by half in order to combat climate change, according to Breitbart's Josh Caplan. 

meat%20ban.jpg

The $14 billion "Green New Deal" will phase out purchases of processed meats in city-run schools, hospitals and correctional facilities by 2040, amid an overall cut in purchases of 50 percent. New York would be the first city in the world to adopt such a policy, and was announced after New York Schools adopted "Meatless Monday" in an effort to encourage the consumption of less meat. 

Why, that's just swell. No meat, no problem. Amazing. (My heart goes out to the normal people of New York.)

Marina, the State is supposedly the eighth largest economy on the planet and it is still perpetually in debt due to their liberal attitudes. They tax everything to get out of the debt trap instead of trying to rein in their entitlement programs...to legal and illegal residents.

The 9th Circuit Court routinely issues injunctions against anything the Federal administration proposes. These injunctions are effective nation-wide, essentially handcuffing the rest of the country to the 9th Circuit Court.

The myriad of confusing taxes have caused many businesses to leave the State, which defeats the whole tax scheme.

The list goes on and on. I think the term 'hate' may be a little strong. Disgust and exasperation are probably more accurate terms.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Thanks, Douglas. yeah, sorry, I used "hate" as an umbrella term for negative sentiment.

1 hour ago, Douglas Buckland said:

The 9th Circuit Court routinely issues injunctions against anything the Federal administration proposes. These injunctions are effective nation-wide, essentially handcuffing the rest of the country to the 9th Circuit Court

How is this even possible? Rather, why is it possible?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Thanks, Douglas. yeah, sorry, I used "hate" as an umbrella term for negative sentiment.

How is this even possible? Rather, why is it possible?

The Crazies are running the Asylum!! 

If all truck drivers stopped at the borders and off-loaded their goods, have California drivers pick up and continue to destination someone would take notice the rest of the country isn't too happy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Vegan restaurant that charged men 18% more as ‘man tax’ is closing down

A vegan restaurant in Victoria, Australia that charged men 18 percent more than women is closing down.

Handsome Her, located in Brunswick, Victoria, first made headlines back in 2017 after their “man tax” sparked criticism all over the internet. The restaurant is known to give women priority seating and charge men an 18 percent premium, though the latter is not imposed. 

The taxes, which were donated to a women’s service, were meant to raise awareness regarding the gender pay gapin Australia, where women across all industries earned 17.7 percent less than men. The restaurant also serves as a safe space for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community

The restaurant, however, is closing down just two years on. 

20190425-Restaurant-man-tax.png

It's a VEGAN restaurant.  MEN don't eat there anyway.

• Haha 4

(edited)

On that basis Texas uses 3mmbbl/day of oil. I don't understand how that number is derived because no one uses oil, they use refined products and there are only about 20 gallons of gas and 11 gallons of diesel in a barrel of oil so what is the rest of the barrel used for and imputed to?  I am sure there is a mix of gasoline and diesel used in every state so I wonder if this number considers that or it's just something that doesn't have much relation to reality?

In any case, Texas produces much more than it consumes so we are a net oil producer while the rest of the states in CONUS are all sinks.  Well actually I guess Wyoming isn't a sink and maybe not Louisiana if offshore is counted.

Edited by wrs
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1