Tom Kirkman

California is the second biggest consumer of oil in the U.S. after Texas.

1 hour ago, wrs said:

On that basis Texas uses 3mmbbl/day of oil. I don't understand how that number is derived because no one uses oil, they use refined products and there are only about 20 gallons of gas and 11 gallons of diesel in a barrel of oil so what is the rest of the barrel used for and imputed to?  I am sure there is a mix of gasoline and diesel used in every state so I wonder if this number considers that or it's just something that doesn't have much relation to reality?

In any case, Texas produces much more than it consumes so we are a net oil producer while the rest of the states in CONUS are all sinks.

Agreed, not sure how they are calculating usage because it probably varies a lot per state. For reference though, in Exxon's 2040 Energy Outlook, they show that in North America 42% of oil is used in light duty transportation, 29% in commercial transportation, 13% in chemicals, and 16% in other. Globally, only about 20% is used for light duty transportation (which is why EVs don't make a catastrophic dent in global oil demand even with 100% market share). 

Also, not to the scale of Texas which is using 3M and producing 4.7M, but there are other net producing states out there (didn't look at every state, but I did check that Cali did not make the list using 1.8M, producing 400k).

• Oklahoma using 300k, producing 500k per day
  • North Dakota using 72k , producing 1.3M per day
  • Wyoming using 77k, producing 250k per day
  • Colorado using 140k, producing 500k per day
  • New Mexico using 130k, producing 800k per day
  • Upvote 2

(edited)

3 hours ago, wrs said:

On that basis Texas uses 3mmbbl/day of oil. I don't understand how that number is derived because no one uses oil, they use refined products and there are only about 20 gallons of gas and 11 gallons of diesel in a barrel of oil so what is the rest of the barrel used for and imputed to?  I am sure there is a mix of gasoline and diesel used in every state so I wonder if this number considers that or it's just something that doesn't have much relation to reality?

In any case, Texas produces much more than it consumes so we are a net oil producer while the rest of the states in CONUS are all sinks.  Well actually I guess Wyoming isn't a sink and maybe not Louisiana if offshore is counted.

No one uses oil? everyone uses oil once it is refined into the products like gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, kerosene , and lubricants, greases etc and into plastics just to name a few plus pharmaceuticals.

Depending on the type of crude oil , a barrel of oil can yield :

image.png.dbfd4aa1e827dac2b9001d31e9e40fca.png

image.png.ea8b7f2b72d8a0e0ccba1c16d376e57a.png

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/can-made-one-barrel-oil/

Edited by ceo_energemsier
add info

https://www.sfchronicle.com/science/article/Trump-administration-unveils-plan-to-open-up-1-13796179.php

1 million acres for drilling in CA!! but it wont happen, it will be tied up in lawsuits and probably some local courts will issue injunctions and the 9th circuit court will jump in and block it and then more lawsuits by left leaning groups. By the time , the leases are awarded, if they are awarded, the companies that have the leases will be sued and blocked and every Hollywood name will be out there protesting.

So hilarious to read the comments on that article though.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

How is this even possible? Rather, why is it possible?

Marina, the reason has to do with the separation of powers of our constitution. The reality of course is that California plus a large number of western states making up the 9th, have decided that legislating from the bench is much easier than actually crafting laws the voters are willing to accept. Conversely, any 9th Circus judge can undo a valid law voted by the people at whim. Amusingly, there is no other court that has been overturned more often by SCOTUS than the 9th, which is why every lawyer I know calls them the 9th Circus. 

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Marina, the State is supposedly the eighth largest economy on the planet and it is still perpetually in debt due to their liberal attitudes.

The mongo lack of fiscal discipline isn't any state, it's the Feds. And it's not the Social Security or Medicare/Medicaide issues. Those actually lend money to the Feds, though that charade will end soon.

(edited)

1 hour ago, Danlxyz said:

Here is another list of energy used per capita by state.

https://www.eia.gov/state/rankings/

Interesting how different the two lists are.

I believe the other list was not per capita but absolute usage.

Also the EIA list doesn't seem to measure only oil but all energy aggregated. 

Edited by Ward Smith

(edited)

1 hour ago, Ward Smith said:

I believe the other list was not per capita but absolute usage.

Also the EIA list doesn't seem to measure only oil but all energy aggregated. 

Yes, they are different lists. The EIA list is dated 2016, it is in BTUs and it is annual consumption   per capita. The other list is dated "most recent", it is in petroleum barrels and it is just annual consumption. California has a population of 35.12 million and consumes 199 million BTUs per person. Texas has a population of 21.78 million and consumes 472 million BTUs per person. 

Here is another EIA file showing where the energy is used : https://www.eia.gov/state/seds/data.cfm?incfile=/state/seds/sep_sum/html/rank_use_capita.html&sid=US

Sometime adding more information helps explain things and sometimes it obfuscates.

Edited by Danlxyz
grammar

I have found a new hobby during downtime on location...I started trolling some Bernie facebook pages, those people have all been brainwashed and are so nieve...and a lot of them are from...you guessed it....CA 😂😂 big contradiction to use the essentials of everyday life but wanting it all left in the ground...o well, drill on!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cbrasher1 said:

I have found a new hobby during downtime on location...I started trolling some Bernie facebook pages, those people have all been brainwashed and are so nieve...and a lot of them are from...you guessed it....CA 😂😂 big contradiction to use the essentials of everyday life but wanting it all left in the ground...o well, drill on!!

259ec666fad84edc7490aed4c76c3509c70f4e23635f4dbaa4852ba634f77e95.jpg

65e472a053c6be5e6ca9adadde6b171e438b06ad1f3852ec97f934fbef5a416f.png

On 4/27/2019 at 1:33 AM, Ward Smith said:

Marina, the reason has to do with the separation of powers of our constitution. The reality of course is that California plus a large number of western states making up the 9th, have decided that legislating from the bench is much easier than actually crafting laws the voters are willing to accept. Conversely, any 9th Circus judge can undo a valid law voted by the people at whim. Amusingly, there is no other court that has been overturned more often by SCOTUS than the 9th, which is why every lawyer I know calls them the 9th Circus. 

bffca082002df0b408b4df55f23c074b7ae944c40530cbd98926bb9f4a5b56d4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2