Peter Svoboda

Tampering with Methane Monitors??

Good Morning guys,

First off, I must admit, when it comes to mining, my knowledge is extremely limited. I tend to be more interested in the geopolitics of energy, however while I'm in the Czech Republic for work, I heard some rumors and suggestions about a recent mine explosion that occurred here and assumed this group would be the best to ask. 

In December, there was an explosion in the Karvina coal mine here. Unfortunately, 13 people died. Because the company that owned the mine, OKD, was going through a period of ownership change (having just been taken over by the state at the time), there were suggestions that the state had neglected to put competent managers and safety protocols in place. Exact reasons for the explosion remain unclear--however, being in the region, many are saying that the state intentionally tampered with the methane monitors in the mine as they preferred productivity to safety.  My question for the group is, is this possible? How would it be done, and how would it be covered up?

Thank you!

30 minutes ago, Peter Svoboda said:

Exact reasons for the explosion remain unclear--however, being in the region, many are saying that the state intentionally tampered with the methane monitors in the mine as they preferred productivity to safety.  My question for the group is, is this possible?

Yes it's possible.  Over here in SE Asia, oftentimes safety is a negotiable cost adder.  Higher levels of safety for workers equals higher costs, regardless of the endless lip service to "SAFETY FIRST" signages.  Signs about "Safety" are a heckuva lot cheaper than actually performing work in a safe way, using skilled, competent staff.  Anyone who gets upset with me for saying this has probably never done work in a developing country.  In my experience, Vietnam probably has the worst "safety" in the region.

30 minutes ago, Peter Svoboda said:

How would it be done, and how would it be covered up?

I can't answer how it could technically be bypassed.

Easiest way to cover it up would be to bribe the investigators.  Anyone who claims that bribing investigators is not possible, has probably never lived in a developing country.

• Like 1

Oh I'm sure bribes like that would work here. For all the bluster about being an EU country, the Czech Republic is still very much a developing country-especially that way. 

Would there be any way to prove conclusively that the monitors were tampered with? The government is issuing a report about the shady circumstances leading to the mines nationalization soon, so I would assume rights groups and the families would be trying to get that into the report.