Drilling Ban NY

Was anyone even remotely interested in drilling off of New York?

  • Like 2
  • Great Response! 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He won't even allow a natural gas pipeline to New England. He has harmed the New York State economy greatly. Especially the shale oil and gas potential. New York is bleeding population, especially of productive citizens.

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

He won't even allow a natural gas pipeline to New England. He has harmed the New York State economy greatly. Especially the shale oil and gas potential. New York is bleeding population, especially of productive citizens.

The gas situation in NY is complex.  The City takes all its fresh water from a series of lakes connected to the City via five huge pipelines, big enough to drive a truck through.  They are old and need repair.  NY is terrified of anything going wrong with that water supply.  Gas drilling and fracturing is forbidden for fear of the outside possibility of contamination of the water. Those types of events are classed as low-incidence / high consequence events; unlikely, but disastrous if they take place.  

Yet that should not preclude the construction of a gas pipeline across the State and into New England, were additional gas supplies are really needed.  One solution is expanded supplies of Canadian gas, coming down from Montreal area. That solution is not developed as of yet.  

One big requirement for gas is for electricity generation.  Long Island in particular is short of electricity, and a big cable was dropped from Canada across Long Island Sound to supply more power, to replace the power that was given up when NY prevented the fuelling and start-up of a large nuke plant on the North Shore after it was completely finished.  A new gas plant was set up in the area of Yonkers, just North of the city, but again that needs lots of gas, which get interrupted when it is really cold, as gas is diverted for heating fuel first in priority. 

As usual, it is a big mess, and with the politics so loaded, there are no obvious solutions. Meanwhile, NY has a gigantic unfunded public pension liability, no logical source of those funds, and the rich leave, as they do in Illinois and NJ and Connecticut, causing even more headaches as those personal income taxes evaporate.   

  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

The gas situation in NY is complex.  The City takes all its fresh water from a series of lakes connected to the City via five huge pipelines, big enough to drive a truck through.  They are old and need repair.  NY is terrified of anything going wrong with that water supply.  Gas drilling and fracturing is forbidden for fear of the outside possibility of contamination of the water. Those types of events are classed as low-incidence / high consequence events; unlikely, but disastrous if they take place.  

Yet that should not preclude the construction of a gas pipeline across the State and into New England, were additional gas supplies are really needed.  One solution is expanded supplies of Canadian gas, coming down from Montreal area. That solution is not developed as of yet.  

One big requirement for gas is for electricity generation.  Long Island in particular is short of electricity, and a big cable was dropped from Canada across Long Island Sound to supply more power, to replace the power that was given up when NY prevented the fuelling and start-up of a large nuke plant on the North Shore after it was completely finished.  A new gas plant was set up in the area of Yonkers, just North of the city, but again that needs lots of gas, which get interrupted when it is really cold, as gas is diverted for heating fuel first in priority. 

As usual, it is a big mess, and with the politics so loaded, there are no obvious solutions. Meanwhile, NY has a gigantic unfunded public pension liability, no logical source of those funds, and the rich leave, as they do in Illinois and NJ and Connecticut, causing even more headaches as those personal income taxes evaporate.   

The "earthquakes" you mention are usually best compared to a large truck going by your home. They are normally very mild but make a great scare tactic. I really doubt they would endanger any aqueducts and could be kept far away from them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

I really doubt they would endanger any aqueducts and could be kept far away from them. 

That is correct.  Modern drilling is developed to a high degree of sophistication, there is little risk in drilling anywhere in NY State, but the optics are formidable.  I don't see it happening in my lifetime.  too much fear. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jan van Eck said:

That is correct.  Modern drilling is developed to a high degree of sophistication, there is little risk in drilling anywhere in NY State, but the optics are formidable.  I don't see it happening in my lifetime.  too much fear. 

I think the fear could be overcome with education. There is a  very large need for realistic economic planning outside of NYC. Those are the ones I have the most sympathy for. Not the NYC socialists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Was anyone even remotely interested in drilling off of New York?

Sounds like France's ban on new oil and gas drilling.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ceo_energemsier said:

New York Bans Offshore Drilling in Its Waters

Gov. Cuomo said the new law sends a message to the Trump administration that the state’s coastline is off-limits.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/2019-04-30/gov-cuomo-signs-bill-banning-offshore-drilling-in-new-york-waters

Forget offshore, New York doesn't even want to capitalize on their share of the Marcellus Shale, the richest natural gas reservoir find to date. 

feature_marcellus_shale_lg.gif

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

The gas situation in NY is complex.  The City takes all its fresh water from a series of lakes connected to the City via five huge pipelines, big enough to drive a truck through.  They are old and need repair.  NY is terrified of anything going wrong with that water supply.  Gas drilling and fracturing is forbidden for fear of the outside possibility of contamination of the water. Those types of events are classed as low-incidence / high consequence events; unlikely, but disastrous if they take place.  

Yet that should not preclude the construction of a gas pipeline across the State and into New England, were additional gas supplies are really needed.  One solution is expanded supplies of Canadian gas, coming down from Montreal area. That solution is not developed as of yet.  

One big requirement for gas is for electricity generation.  Long Island in particular is short of electricity, and a big cable was dropped from Canada across Long Island Sound to supply more power, to replace the power that was given up when NY prevented the fuelling and start-up of a large nuke plant on the North Shore after it was completely finished.  A new gas plant was set up in the area of Yonkers, just North of the city, but again that needs lots of gas, which get interrupted when it is really cold, as gas is diverted for heating fuel first in priority. 

As usual, it is a big mess, and with the politics so loaded, there are no obvious solutions. Meanwhile, NY has a gigantic unfunded public pension liability, no logical source of those funds, and the rich leave, as they do in Illinois and NJ and Connecticut, causing even more headaches as those personal income taxes evaporate.   

NY the state where people are leaving due to high taxes and soon to be uncomfortable conditions being created by politicians who will not be affected by their own laws and will make themselves exempt and not only that but they will consume more resources than the average New Yawker.

There is a substantial amount of marcellus shale as well as conventional oil and gas onshore NY state. I know of several companies and people who lost everything because they were banned from developing their leases. Never got compensated for their losses either.

It is a state run by hypocrite elites, it is the CA of the East Coast. They all have modern amenities and everything they have, want and need to have the luxury life if NYC is directly or indirectly derived from fossil fuels.

High taxes, new bans and high taxes on types of buildings, fuels, food, drinks, what is next breathing?

The energy companies as a form of protest should shut down all energy  supplies flowing into NY for 2 weeks. See how they work things out.

NY has also banned pipelines as you mentioned, they then interfere in interstate commerce and deprive residents of other NE states to suffer higher costs of energy and shortages.

What is the point of banning domestic regional  gas infrastructure and then haul Russian LNG to the East Coast. How many more tons of carbon did that put into the environment? how much marine life was displaced and killed by that vessel? how much more the people of those states had to pay in energy costs for the imported LNG?

You are correct about IL as well, it was a thriving industrial and commodities export state now it is broke just like its pension fund.

  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

That is correct.  Modern drilling is developed to a high degree of sophistication, there is little risk in drilling anywhere in NY State, but the optics are formidable.  I don't see it happening in my lifetime.  too much fear. 

Fear mongering for a political purpose(s) only with no scientific basis. They are like the anti vax folks.

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ronwagn said:

I think the fear could be overcome with education. There is a  very large need for realistic economic planning outside of NYC. Those are the ones I have the most sympathy for. Not the NYC socialists.

With a certain group of people , no amount of education, enlightenment about a subject will achieve anything as they have already made up their minds that this thing should and wont and will never happen. There maybe a movement in upstate NY to secede from the greedy , corrupt segment.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Sounds like France's ban on new oil and gas drilling.

Saw a blurb somewhere, that France is continue to use nucx power for another decade!.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only a decade? They source a pretty fat portion of their power from NPPs. 75% to be precise.

Was this the story you saw? France to delay cutbacks to nuclear power by a decade

Here's more without a paywall: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-energy/new-french-energy-law-puts-off-difficult-climate-decisions-idUSKCN1S61X1

I'd appreciate @Guillaume Albasini's take on this. Can France go nuclear-free at all by 2050 or even earlier?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Only a decade? They source a pretty fat portion of their power from NPPs. 75% to be precise.

Was this the story you saw? France to delay cutbacks to nuclear power by a decade

Here's more without a paywall: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-energy/new-french-energy-law-puts-off-difficult-climate-decisions-idUSKCN1S61X1

I'd appreciate @Guillaume Albasini's take on this. Can France go nuclear-free at all by 2050 or even earlier?

yes thanks that was the Reuters article, I had seen the headline and skipped it for reading later. I have watched  France start their decline in the 90s and the early 2000s , once a thriving manufacturing, industrial, pharmaceutical, energy/petchem economy now a rubble due to their policies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ronwagn said:

I think the fear could be overcome with education. There is a  very large need for realistic economic planning outside of NYC. Those are the ones I have the most sympathy for. Not the NYC socialists.

I just don't think that is realistic.  Unfortunately, basic education is the USA is poor. All you need to do is look at any of the Jay Leno man-in-the-street interviews to see just how uninformed the average person really is.  OK, so Leno does it to amuse and entertain his TV audience (and put big cash into his own pocket), but still, where do those people come from?  Check it out: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmI6YpGew1w 

Sample question:  What is the largest organ on the human body?   Chickie response:  "Yours or mine?"   Just amazing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh, you can't thrive forever. True for any civilisation. But I'm really interested in how realistic some climate change goals are. Just read the UK's been recommended to reach net zero emissions by 2050 through policies including a cut in meat and dairy consumption. How do you force people to change their eating habits? Also mandatory EVs. It looks unrealistic to me but who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"

Brouilette said one of the key components in the U.S. remaining in a position of strength in the oil and natural gas sector is that policies in this country must be designed for continued growth. Investing in infrastructure, he said, is at the top of the list.

As a cautionary tale, Brouilette points to policies in New England and the northeast region that it made it more practical to buy Russian LNG rather than Marcellus Shale—one of the world’s largest natural gas fields—that sits just a few hundred miles away. Anti-energy activist reportedly pressured locally elected officials in that region to block new energy infrastructure, like pipelines, that would have made it easier to bring American gas to the region. Also, the State of New York has not allowed any pipeline projects through its borders to transport natural gas from the Marcellus to the New England.

As a result, residents in New England have paid some of the highest energy bills in the country, according to a story that appeared in the Washington Examiner in March 2018.

“The United States is on track to be a net exporter of LNG in the coming years and some of our citizens have to rely on foreign adversaries to supply or satisfy their energy needs.” Brouillette said. “Policies like these lead to an astonishing and a willful loss of economic opportunity.

“In contrast our administration is doing everything it can to foster innovation, to encourage responsible energy development and to build the infrastructure that we need in the future days.”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

US Still Processing Atlantic Seismic Permits Despite Drilling Plan Delay

Valerie Volcovici and Nichola Groom, Reuters
Tue, 04/30/2019 - 08:32
 

The U.S. Interior Department is still processing permit applications for companies to conduct seismic testing in the Atlantic—a precursor to drilling—despite shelving its plan to vastly expand offshore drilling, a spokeswoman said April 29.

Atlantic coastal state lawmakers, businesses and conservation groups are adamant that Interior should not allow seismic testing—a process that often uses powerful air guns to map resources below the ocean floor—arguing the surveys hurt marine life, such as the endangered North Atlantic right whale.

Newly confirmed Interior Secretary David Bernhardt said last week the agency’s five-year plan for oil and gas drilling on the Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) would be sidelined indefinitely after a March court ruling blocked drilling in the Arctic and part of the Atlantic Ocean.

But Interior’s Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM), which is responsible for managing energy development on the OCS, continues to review the applications of a half-dozen seismic testing companies awaiting permits to test for oil and gas drilling potential on the Atlantic Ocean floor.

“BOEM is continuing to process the permit applications for conducting seismic surveys in the Atlantic, consistent with applicable law,” BOEM spokeswoman Tracey Moriarty said in an emailed statement on April 29.

Five companies received a first round of permits last year when the fisheries office of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration issued permits that would allow for the incidental harassment of marine mammals with air gun blasts in a region of the Atlantic from Delaware to Cape Canaveral, Florida.

The last time seismic surveys were completed in the Atlantic was in the 1980s. The Obama administration banned seismic testing permits there in 2016 after it removed the Atlantic coasts from drilling in its five-year OCS proposal.

Gail Adams-Jackson, spokeswoman for the International Association of Geophysical Contractors, a trade group representing seismic testing companies, said its members "remain hopeful" that BOEM will issue seismic testing permits soon - even if it remains unclear whether the Trump administration will pursue its plans to expand offshore drilling in the Atlantic.

“The more data that our government has to make informed decisions, the better off our country is in terms of our energy future,” she said.

A federal district court judge in Charleston, South Carolina, asked the Interior Department on April 30 to update him on the status of BOEM's seismic survey permit process. The South Carolina Republican attorney general and conservation groups including the Southern Environmental Law Center, filed a motion in that court earlier this year seeking an injunction to block BOEM from issuing final seismic testing permits.

“It makes no sense to proceed with seismic testing now. It’s exposing our resources to very significant harm for no reason, when no one wants drilling or seismic here,” said Catherine Wannamaker, a lawyer for the Southern Environmental Law Center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, ceo_energemsier said:

With a certain group of people , no amount of education, enlightenment about a subject will achieve anything as they have already made up their minds that this thing should and wont and will never happen. There maybe a movement in upstate NY to secede from the greedy , corrupt segment.

We have one in Illinois and one in California already. 

  • Great Response! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ceo_energemsier said:

The energy companies as a form of protest should shut down all energy  supplies flowing into NY for 2 weeks. See how they work things out.

" The energy companies as a form of protest should shut down all energy  supplies flowing into NY for 2 weeks. "

 

Do it In the MIDDLE of winter - reduce it to 48 hours   ----  😔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

19 hours ago, ronwagn said:

He won't even allow a natural gas pipeline to New England. He has harmed the New York State economy greatly. Especially the shale oil and gas potential. New York is bleeding population, especially of productive citizens.

As far as drilling in New York or off their coast they decide. That's their call. Home rule.

The gas pipeline is not a problem with New York state, Massachusetts is blocking the Kimberly Morgan cross state gas pipeline.  

That's Massachusetts. They won't change.

Edited by Falcon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

New York State is blocking it, I am not aware of Massachusetts blocking it. Maybe you have a reference. 

https://dailycaller.com/2019/04/11/trump-cuomo-natural-gas-pipeline/

I found this https://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenrwald/2018/09/14/how-the-massachusetts-natural-gas-pipeline-disaster-will-exacerbate-an-energy-shortage/#3827c8257469

Edited by ronwagn
reference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites