Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WS

Canadian Stripper operator shuts down and abandons 4700 wells

6 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

Old Ruff, I worked on rigs for 4 years on and off during college and never heard of a "9lineblind". I even looked in the "knowledge box" in the doghouse, no joy. 

Now if it was a plain old lineblind…

How many lines on the block? 8..... so if you have 9 lines you have a real effing problem. But that was 40 years ago and maybe some old terms lost along the way. Down below is a polite way of saying:

Source: goldeman.en.alibaba.com

Many years ago, when I was a petroleum geologist, I had the experience on several occasions of discovering what a "nine-line bind" is. It refers to a predicament that you can't readily get out of, and can be used as a metaphor for major messes that will stop you in your tracks and take lots of time to clean up. Anyway, the classic nine-line bind in the oil business occurs when the steel hoist lines that are used to lift the drill string (pipe) out of the drill hole become fouled or tangled.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2019 at 8:59 AM, Old-Ruffneck said:

And that is the reason as you so eloquently explained I chose to stay out of this thread till now. You are spot on @Mike Shellmanand know your business quite well. The keyboard fanatics on here, some have good intelligent answers but bet less than .05% ever stepped foot on a rig or even know what a "9linebind" is. Thanks fer yer intelligent input 🙂

I know what the song" Outta the hole the driller tried...popped the clutch an the motor died" refers to...😊

53 minutes ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

How many lines on the block? 8..... so if you have 9 lines you have a real effing problem. But that was 40 years ago and maybe some old terms lost along the way. Down below is a polite way of saying:

Source: goldeman.en.alibaba.com

Many years ago, when I was a petroleum geologist, I had the experience on several occasions of discovering what a "nine-line bind" is. It refers to a predicament that you can't readily get out of, and can be used as a metaphor for major messes that will stop you in your tracks and take lots of time to clean up. Anyway, the classic nine-line bind in the oil business occurs when the steel hoist lines that are used to lift the drill string (pipe) out of the drill hole become fouled or tangled.

It was about 40 years ago, but my operations apparently weren't Charlie Foxtrot oriented. Some people call them fusterclucks but I don't know what they're talking about either. 

Here's two for you. Why do we abbreviate barrel as bbl? And why is it 42 gallons? I know those answers, do you? 

3 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

It was about 40 years ago, but my operations apparently weren't Charlie Foxtrot oriented. Some people call them fusterclucks but I don't know what they're talking about either. 

Here's two for you. Why do we abbreviate barrel as bbl? And why is it 42 gallons? I know those answers, do you? 

weight of the 42 gallon barrel was around 300 pounds. If my memory serves me right. not sure why bbl was the generic abbreviation.

1 minute ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

weight of the 42 gallon barrel was around 300 pounds. If my memory serves me right. not sure why bbl was the generic abbreviation.

I'll wait awhile to see if anyone else gets it. The weight has nothing to do with the answer

(edited)

42 gallons was a "standard" shipping container.

Long before England’s King Richard III defined the wine puncheon as a cask holding 84 gallons and a tierce as holding 42 gallons, watertight casks of many sizes were crafted by “tight” coopers.

A powerful guild, the Worshipful Company of Coopers, prescribed the manner of construction. Lesser skilled craftsmen (known as slack coopers) made casks, barrels, and pails for dry goods. Practical experience and custom made the 42-gallon watertight tierce a standard container for shipping everything from eel, salmon, herring, molasses, soap, butter, wine, and whale oil. 

And while we're into old terminology, who knows where a "ginsel" lies in the pecking order? Co man, Tool pusher,etc,etc.

Edited by Justin Hicks
Misspelled word

1 hour ago, Justin Hicks said:

42 gallons was a "standard" shipping container.

Long before England’s King Richard III defined the wine puncheon as a cask holding 84 gallons and a tierce as holding 42 gallons, watertight casks of many sizes were crafted by “tight” coopers.

A powerful guild, the Worshipful Company of Coopers, prescribed the manner of construction. Lesser skilled craftsmen (known as slack coopers) made casks, barrels, and pails for dry goods. Practical experience and custom made the 42-gallon watertight tierce a standard container for shipping everything from eel, salmon, herring, molasses, soap, butter, wine, and whale oil. 

And while we're into old terminology, who knows where a "ginsel" lies in the pecking order? Co man, Tool pusher,etc,etc.

Close but no bananas Justin. 

But you're better than a worm in the pecking order, not worse ;)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

Close but no bananas Justin. 

But you're better than a worm in the pecking order, not worse ;)

I'll just sit on my blue barrel over here.😋

• Great Response! 1