Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marina Schwarz

World May Never Get to EV Era

“Think about these negative consequences for consumers when you have more electric cars,” Hitomi said. “I personally don’t think the age for electric vehicles will ever come.”

That's a Mazda executive who argues EVs can be worse for the environment and internal combustion engines could become efficient enough to cover government restrictions on emissions. So why make EVs then if normal cars are clean enough?

I thought Mazda is working on technology for electric cars with Toyota.

Yes, but obviously Mr. Hitomi doesn't  know that. They are building electric cars to fail. What kind of sales and marketing is all of this? 

It seems he's not the only executive who thinks this way. A survey by KPMG also revealed a majority of global auto executives believe EVs are  a fool's errand. They think that EVs will be leapfrogged by fuel-cell vehicles because of the infrastructure challenges.

Well there are some contradictory data in that survey. Even there's a negative view on EVs, 50 percent of executives still believe that battery-electric vehicles will be the key automotive trend till 2025, but mostly because a regulatory environment will dictate it. 

I think the most important here is the opinion of car shoppers because if they are not interested in buying these cars, there's no point of making them. And 36 percent of respondents said they choose conventional hybrid-electric cars. 

If this is what global executives really think then they are giving power directly to Tesla. The only way H2 will ever become the fuel source of the near future is because the fossil fuel companies will subsidize. 

I will try to read between the lines and think that they wanted to say infrastructure problem is based on what we have today but what could be and will be changed in the future.

Fuel cell infrastructure has always been the insurmountable barrier.Same old story. What can we do to change its end? 

I'm looking forward to the day Tesla puts these executives out of business. The EV era is already here, but someone forgot to tell them.