Tom Kirkman

WaPo Quixote : Trump administration heeds oil and gas industry calls to remove protections for imperiled beetle

Not often I share an article from Washington Post these days, since it went totally off the rails batsh&t crazy as a biased asset of Jeff Bezos, and continues to lead the Don Quixotean charge of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Here you can see a WaPo hodge podge of scaremongering combining their hatred of both Trump and the Oil & Gas industry and WaPo's sobbing tears of grief about the bad guys bullying the Environment and a Beetle.

Apparently downgrading the Beetle's status after 30 years from "Endangered" to merely "Threatened" is cause for righteous indignation, wailing and gnashing of teeth, and general panic by the good peoples of the world.  By good I mean you and me, not those horrible Trump-loving Oil & Gas Destroyers of the Universe.

Can you spot the hyperbole in this heartwrenching aricle about the Eeeeeevil Trump and the even MORE Eeeeeeeeeeeeeevil Oil & Gas Industry?

Trump administration heeds oil and gas industry calls to remove protections for imperiled beetle

< *insert cute cuddly beetle picture here* >

imrs.php?src=https%3A%2F%2Farc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2F7KD73XM6LZC73JN33VZIFAGCCQ.jpg&w=908

An American burying beetle. (Lindsay Vivian/U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service)

The Trump administration said it plans to weaken protections for a beetle facing a threat of extinction from climate change, a move welcomed by oil and natural gas drillers lobbying for the change. 

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced last week a proposal to change the status of the American burying beetle from “endangered” to merely “threatened,” which would make it easier for oil and gas producers who must work around the insect when drilling and laying pipeline.

< *those meenies!  Bad Trump! Bad Oil & Gas!* >

But environmental advocates lashed out at the decision to lift the 30-year-old protections on the species. They say it's ironic since the beetle is imperiled by climate change, but removing protections will allow easier oil and gas drilling will only contribute to rising temperatures.

And the decision came just before a United Nations panel issued a major report warning that the world is on the brink of losing up to one million plant and animal species to extinction.

< *Chant with me now: Oil & Gas Kills Beetles* >

The agency said it was following the letter of the law by listing the beetle as "threatened" rather than "endangered." "It fits that definition of not currently endangered, or at risk of extinction, but is within the foreseeable future," Stubbs said.

Preparing for that future, the Trump administration's plan calls for 213,000 acres of conservation area to be set aside for the beetle's southern population so it can later be reintroduced to the north once temperatures warm.

< *See, eeeevil Trump wants global warming* >

< *I can't go on, I'm sobbing too hard* >

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Not often I share an article from Washington Post these days, since it went totally off the rails batsh&t crazy as a biased asset of Jeff Bezos, and continues to lead the Don Quixotean charge of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Here you can see a WaPo hodge podge of scaremongering combining their hatred of both Trump and the Oil & Gas industry and WaPo's sobbing tears of grief about the bad guys bullying the Environment and a Beetle.

Apparently downgrading the Beetle's status after 30 years from "Endangered" to merely "Threatened" is cause for righteous indignation, wailing and gnashing of teeth, and general panic by the good peoples of the world.  By good I mean you and me, not those horrible Trump-loving Oil & Gas Destroyers of the Universe.

Can you spot the hyperbole in this heartwrenching aricle about the Eeeeeevil Trump and the even MORE Eeeeeeeeeeeeeevil Oil & Gas Industry?

Trump administration heeds oil and gas industry calls to remove protections for imperiled beetle

imrs.php?src=https%3A%2F%2Farc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2F7KD73XM6LZC73JN33VZIFAGCCQ.jpg&w=908

The Trump administration said it plans to weaken protections for a beetle facing a threat of extinction from climate change, a move welcomed by oil and natural gas drillers lobbying for the change. 

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced last week a proposal to change the status of the American burying beetle from “endangered” to merely “threatened,” which would make it easier for oil and gas producers who must work around the insect when drilling and laying pipeline.

But environmental advocates lashed out at the decision to lift the 30-year-old protections on the species. They say it's ironic since the beetle is imperiled by climate change, but removing protections will allow easier oil and gas drilling will only contribute to rising temperatures.

And the decision came just before a United Nations panel issued a major report warning that the world is on the brink of losing up to one million plant and animal species to extinction.

The agency said it was following the letter of the law by listing the beetle as "threatened" rather than "endangered." "It fits that definition of not currently endangered, or at risk of extinction, but is within the foreseeable future," Stubbs said.

Preparing for that future, the Trump administration's plan calls for 213,000 acres of conservation area to be set aside for the beetle's southern population so it can later be reintroduced to the north once temperatures warm.

War, world hunger, child labor, terrorism, school shootings, human trafficking, and beetle endangerment.  Yup. Fits in right there on my list. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Rodent said:

War, world hunger, child labor, terrorism, school shootings, human trafficking, and beetle endangerment.  Yup. Fits in right there on my list. 

Thanks Rodent.  ^ The bits I bolded above are some of the topics I address over on Chan forums, one of the last bastions of Free Speech.

Here on Oil Price forum I try my darndest to stick to Oil & Gas and related topics, but sometimes wander a bit afield into other topics.

Beetles are also not exactly high on my list of global priorities.

But the mental gymnastics of Washington Post highlighting a Beetle getting a label change after 30 years from "endangered" to merely "threatened" and trying to use this to attack the Oil & Gas industry is simply too absurd for me not to mock.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Thanks Rodent.  ^ The bits I bolded above are some of the topics I address over on Chan forums, one of the last bastions of Free Speech.

Here on Oil Price forum I try my darndest to stick to Oil & Gas and related topics, but sometimes wander a bit afield into other topics.

Beetles are also not exactly high on my list of global priorities.

But the mental gymnastics of Washington Post highlighting a Beetle getting a label change after 30 years from "endangered" to merely "threatened" and trying to use this to attack the Oil & Gas industry is simply too absurd for me not to mock.

Thanks to ya both, the Beetle might survive at any rate......or it might pass on like a lot of other species. Humans aren't the only factor. In the mean time keep up the posts hehee

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

Thanks to ya both, the Beetle might survive at any rate......or it might pass on like a lot of other species. Humans aren't the only factor. In the mean time keep up the posts hehee

You can't make this stuff up.  The scaremongering absurdity continues to escalate...  The Climate Change Doomsday Catastrophe Humn Extinction Clock is  apparently speeding up from AOC's 12 years, to Beto's one upmanship of 10 years, to the new figure below of 3 or 4 years.

Everybody better panic. Panic, Dammit!

No really, panic is the only viable option, along with a huge increase in Carbon Taxes.

● Remember, only Tax Increases can solve Climate Change.

Climate change should be top issue for [ Canadian ] voters in October, advocates say

OTTAWA — A large group of Canadian climate scientists, environment advocates, business owners and corporate executives want climate change to be the No. 1 issue for voters this fall, including problems and solutions beyond the federal carbon tax.

A hundred of them signed an open letter to Canadians this week, urging them to understand the impacts of climate change and the solutions each party offers before casting their ballots in October.

Those behind the letter fear important discussions about climate change are being lost in the sea of political rhetoric for or against a national carbon price.

It’s a national emergency,” said Gavin Pitchford, the CEO of recruiting firm Delta Management and executive director of Clean50.

She said if this election is not about stopping climate change, Canada and the world will suffer immensely.

International studies show we have about three to four years to turn things around,” said Smith.

She also said climate change affects almost any other issue voters might care about, from health care to the economy to immigration.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

She said if this election is not about stopping climate change, Canada and the world will suffer immensely.

International studies show we have about three to four years to turn things around,” said Smith.

She also said climate change affects almost any other issue voters might care about, from health care to the economy to immigration.

Well, another whack job, and if we don't turn things around in 3 to 4 years??? I have a feeling al will be the same except taxes on carbon will remain in place no matter. Goofy Canadians..... 

• Like 2

(edited)

Hi guys,

I'm from Europe, so a bit strange, with off-world ideas anyway 🙂

Permit me:

1 I would chose keeping the beetle over keeping Trump.

2 Never worry, climate change is coming. It's not as if we could do very much about it. What I'm missing is governments taking responsible steps in mitigating the effects of it. Stepping aside from a runaway lorry seems more sensible than single-handed trying to stop it, although that has happened occasionally as well. Risk assessment and such comes into play here.

3 Goofy Canadians, goofy Europeans, goofy Americans, boy, but we do have a lot in common.

Have fun.

Edited by RuudinFrance
Make up
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

So, these beetles don't like oil projects? That sounds pretty far fetched to me. Maybe we could keep them around and thriving somehow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom Kirkman said:

You can't make this stuff up.  The scaremongering absurdity continues to escalate...  The Climate Change Doomsday Catastrophe Humn Extinction Clock is  apparently speeding up from AOC's 12 years, to Beto's one upmanship of 10 years, to the new figure below of 3 or 4 years.

Everybody better panic. Panic, Dammit!

No really, panic is the only viable option, along with a huge increase in Carbon Taxes.

We'll, if utter doom is really just 3 or 4 years away, I guess we might as well make the best of it.  Viva la oil!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Rodent said:

We'll, if utter doom is really just 3 or 4 years away, I guess we might as well make the best of it.  Viva la oil!

Just curious, which wording flows better, Rodent:

30fark.jpg

30fatj.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Just curious, which wording flows better, Rodent:

30fark.jpg

30fatj.jpg

#1.  Definitely #1. Except missing the word "be"

23 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Oops, fixed it.  Thanks : )

30fq1l.jpg

• Haha 1

(edited)

The Horny Toads I used to play with in southern Texas as a kid are becoming rather scarce too. By the way  how are the  orangutans doing in your neck of the woods - if neck of the woods is an accurate term to describe any part of Malaysia nowadaze?

Civilization

by Tony Ryals

Around the world the ruins lay,
Reminders of a better day,
Modern man he doesn't heed them,
Only for tourism do they please him,
For this he too shall pass away,
And there shall come another day,
Rats and roaches shall have their way,
I dreamt I saw the first creation,
Of humanity's earliest civilization,
From a distance it looked rather nice,
Rather like a paradise,
They carved their stones to tell their tales,
And dug their very first wishing wells,
They sowed their soils they plowed them deep,
So their first harvest they could reap,
And to further increase their population,
They invented irrrigation,
They got their seeds from nature's garden,
And cut the remainder in the bargain,
The said to the rest you have no value,
Uproot yourselves we're going to plow you,
So a little of the biosphere disappeared,
And the civilized said that's good and cheered,
We with big brains and hands shall rule the earth,
We'll till the soil for all it's worth,
We'll build our temples to our gods,
And subdue our neighbors those uncivilized clods,
With our wheat our rye our barley our corn,
A new man has now been born,
And of course they also planted beans,
To complete agricultural man's proteins,
 And so the population grew,
From where other animals and plants once did too,
Tigris,Euphrates and the Nile,
Cradles of civilization for a while,
The Tigres and Euphrates silted in,
Somewhere else to begin again,
Go out and multiply said the man on top,
Reproduce until you drop,
And that's just what they've been doing,
While the biosphere they're misconstruing,
Trouble for civilization is still brewing,

Edited by Tony Ryals
  • Like 1

Everyone who has ever taken a geology class must know that 99.999% of ALL species known have Already gone extinct. Billions and billions of them, gone forever. Yet the world keeps spinning and life keeps finding a way. Funny that

• Like 1

(edited)

On 5/7/2019 at 3:47 PM, Tom Kirkman said:

There is a reason for this:

Related image

........... that hygienic birds are on the rise............ the survivorship of certain beetles is hence seen on the rise....

........... that the population of birds is in a massive declining stage. According to the latest information - urbanization has caused severe lost of habitats. This results in severe disruption of peeing habit/ peeing ability and corpulation mood of birdies........... Birds are feeling uncomfortable emotionally and physically owing to the fact that they are not able to pee freely like they used to any more (no tree or bush where they could pee safely hiding from the sight of predators). It is deduced that this could be an intoxicating phenomenon for birds. :( The declining population of predators (birds) is increasing the survivorship of the preys (beetles)........

.......... that the beetles are generally coated with moderate to thick water resistant surface. This surface helps to reduce water evaporation and probably keep the temperature under controlled amidst extreme temperature e.g. too hot or too wet....... Hence...... while other insects are dying before they know why many beetles have survived. Therefore........ it might be just a lucky strike that oilers and gassers are being facilitated.

On 5/8/2019 at 11:29 AM, ronwagn said:

So, these beetles don't like oil projects? That sounds pretty far fetched to me. Maybe we could keep them around and thriving somehow. 

Insects are generally attracted to light or fire...... May be not beetles.... Not that they don't like oil projects nor the flare produced by waste material at oil refineries... They might have not used to toasted flavor of themselves........

As mentioned above..... it might be just a lucky strike that their survivorship is making it easier for oil and gas producers........

Edited by specinho
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2019 at 11:36 AM, Tony Ryals said:

The Horny Toads I used to play with in southern Texas as a kid are becoming rather scarce too. By the way  how are the  orangutans doing in your neck of the woods - if neck of the woods is an accurate term to describe any part of Malaysia nowadaze?

Civilization

by Tony Ryals

Rather like a paradise,

King James Bible
And you, be ye fruitful, and multiply; bring forth abundantly in the earth, and multiply therein.

(edited)

On 5/9/2019 at 12:36 AM, Tony Ryals said:

Civilization

by Tony Ryals

16 hours ago, ronwagn said:

King James Bible
And you, be ye fruitful, and multiply; bring forth abundantly in the earth, and multiply therein.

Gentlemen............... not trying to draw your attention but someone might have taken the context as personal mission:

Mohammed Bello Abubakar[1] (28 January 1924 – 28 January 2017) ................... married 120 wives, divorced 10, and fathered 203 children. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammed_Bello_Abubakar

More than 10 years ago....... shared something on a tradition in Swaziland (not sure if still being practised) ...... that the king is entitled to choose his women every year ( very much like the emperor of China chose his concupines and porcupines in the ancient days). Each year women will make themselves available in a nude dance ceremony where the king dances amidst them and picks his wife/wives. At the age of 30 + the king of Swaziland then already had 39 wives..............

uuhhh....... then we have doctrine promotion of "a man should have at least four wives" in a remote country somewhere. The reason is simply to reduce the number of single women available in the society............. (that practice was done during ancient war time. Many men were killed in the war. Widow women and children were left with no food. Out of kindness the prophet took the neighbour(s) in).

Decade in decade out

Something in something out

Out of boredom we dish new things out

Wisdom bows unwillingly out

Bringing the dark sides gloriously out

And common sense subdued to none sense we cry out

Return the light of wisdom we shout out

Let the sun shine let the hope spread widely out

Despite shadow co-existed the light and care cast fear out.

Edited by specinho
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 11:36 AM, Tony Ryals said:

Civilization

by Tony Ryals

Rather like a paradise,

https://biblehub.com/genesis/9-7.htm 

23 hours ago, ronwagn said:

King James Bible

And if you can't do all that, then at least make the effort and practice!

• Haha 1

(edited)

On 5/8/2019 at 6:32 AM, Rodent said:

Oops, fixed it.  Thanks : )

---------------------------------------------------------------

See, Tom, now that's what happens when you are out there down at the Officers' Club as an expat, mellowing out with your third gin and tonic..........   Details, always details.........:D:D

Edited by Jan van Eck

I would like to hear from those who have lived in very highly populated areas of the world such as cities in China, India, NYC, London, etc. I have never lived in a truly populous area. I have been throughout Western Europe, all fifty states, New Zealand, Tahiti etc. I avoid the congestion and have always preferred the far fringes of urban areas. I realize that urbanites and suburbanites are the majority so it should not be hard to get some opinions. 

The United States could easily support a billion people as do China and India. We have plenty of land that is not being used and that can be improved. We are the world leader in agricultural techniques. Our main health problems are due to overeating and obesity. 

I personally do not favor rapid population growth and would like to see it be gradual and based on merit as much as is reasonable.

1 hour ago, Jan van Eck said:
  On 5/8/2019 at 6:32 AM, Rodent said:

Oops, fixed it.  Thanks : )

---------------------------------------------------------------

See, Tom, now that's what happens when you are out there down at the Officers' Club as an expat, mellowing out with your third gin and tonic..........   Details, always details.........:D:D

Nah, I haven't had a drop of alcohol since last year, at least 6 months ago.

I'm just a bit cranky lately because a week ago Monday 6th May I was suddenly informed that my employment contract was not going to be renewed when it expires on 31st May.  

It was a shock because on Friday 3rd May the Vice President personally congratulated me face to face and thanked me profusely for a job well done, in instituting Project Management Office and Project Controls for all engineering projects globally for the company (in 19 countries).

The same VP told me the next business day on Monday 6th May that due to cost cutting, I was being replaced at the end of this month by someone else who is apparently younger and cheaper.  Totally unexpected news.  Being punished for doing great work, it seems.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

The same VP told me the next business day on Monday 6th May that due to cost cutting, I was being replaced at the end of this month by someone else who is apparently younger and cheaper.  Totally unexpected news.  Being punished for doing great work, it seems.

He will be "Half-price Tom."   Until he totally screws it up, that is.  Then he will be 200-price Tom.   Oh, well. Welcome to old age. 

• Great Response! 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

He will be "Half-price Tom."   Until he totally screws it up, that is.  Then he will be 200-price Tom.   Oh, well. Welcome to old age. 

It amuses me greatly that the company thinks that cost cutting and replacing me with someone else who is cheaper and less experienced will actually succeed in the scope of work required.  Cost cutting in Engineering rarely works out as planned.

Apparently this person has never even worked overseas before, but has only worked locally within Malaysia.  Apparently this person has no experience with international contracts, international legal terms & conditions, different work cultures, clearly delineated scope of work and deliverables, and so far has been unable to charge simple Variation Orders to customers for additional scope of work to black & white POs.  Train wreck approaching.  

• Great Response! 1

(edited)

2 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Train wreck approaching.

Well, you are no longer in the Engineer's cab, so it is not your wreck.  Time for that gin and tonic!

Edited by Jan van Eck
  • Like 1