Not very good at scaremongering, those Brits.

In the U.S. AOC proclaims the world will end in 12 years due to Climate Change Apocalyse, while Presidential hopeful Beto uses one-upmanship of only 10 years before Climate Change Catastrophe.

These Brits are stretching Climate Change Flooding (not even Doomsday, just flooding) to 2100 and beyond.  Meh. 

This calls for gratuitous memes with hidden, subliminal, anarchic messages, for no apparent reason.  You're welcome.

1c92c0a41547554fe131d28619f6e116a753c63d300639e07377a13a256cc979.png

795fd8f6fe90336b6ebfbc8f720069a7a3d225a7e748d5725a64414f71e42fda.jpg

Anyway, better try scaring harder, Brits.

1 hour ago, Marina Schwarz said:

England’s flood planners must prepare for the worst on climate change, the Environment Agency has warned.

Its chairwoman, Emma Howard Boyd, said on current trends, global temperature could rise between 2C and 4C by 2100 and £1bn a year would need to be spent on flood management.

She said some communities may even need to move because of the risk of floods.

34 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

These Brits are stretching Climate Change Flooding (not even Doomsday, just flooding) to 2100 and beyond.  Meh. 

What if they are being realistic? 

Maybe climate change will not end the world, but chagne our lives? 

It is already changing lives and livelihood patterns as it always has since Earth exists. It's just getting increasingly difficult to distinguish between facts and alarmism with so much of the latter.

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1

3 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

It is already changing lives and livelihood patterns as it always has since Earth exists. It's just getting increasingly difficult to distinguish between facts and alarmism with so much of the latter.

Depends where you are. If rising sea levels are eroding away your home / farmland whether that be in Bangladesh or the UK you might see that situation as an emergency.

Personally I don't buy into the level of simplistic alarmism going on of late - we are all gonna die in 10 years........... the Greta Thunberg stuff is almost like the Village of the Dammed but I do suspect we are in slow boiled frog mode on the climate front

greta-thunberg-2.jpg

Village of the dammed.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Climate change: England flood planners 'must prepare for worst'

Well, Brits in England, are you preparing?

5 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Not very good at scaremongering, those Brits.

5 hours ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

What if they are being realistic? 

Maybe climate change will not end the world, but chagne our lives? 

Don't panic......... we have not reached consensus yet............

Image result for climate change summit cartoon

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, NickW said:

Personally I don't buy into the level of simplistic alarmism going on of late - we are all gonna die in 10 years........... the Greta Thunberg stuff is almost like the Village of the Dammed but I do suspect we are in slow boiled frog mode on the climate front

My thoughts exactly. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, NickW said:

Depends where you are. If rising sea levels are eroding away your home / farmland whether that be in Bangladesh or the UK you might see that situation as an emergency.

greta-thunberg-2.jpg

Village of the dammed.jpg

It Could be worse....The World could have been Taken over by all the Little Hitler Clones from "The Boys from Brazil"

6 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

My thoughts exactly. 

The point I made is not an excuse to do nothing, in fact its on the contrary. What we actually need are consistent long term policies to support wind and solar, a more pragmatic approach to nuclear which IMO is generally needed for high population density countries like the UK in high latitude climates.

On the demand side - policies to incentivise people to move away from SUV's back to normal size cars, shift towards public transport, support for domestic solar (Not what the UK government is doing) and especially energy efficiency. Id like to see more support for domestic CHP systems which generate heat and electricity from Gas - this would pretty much mirror demand in cold climates.

• Upvote 2

I apologise if I've led you to believe I interpreted what you wrote as a suggestion to do nothing. I did not. Honestly, communication on this forum sometimes drives me to despair.

On 5/10/2019 at 11:36 AM, Marina Schwarz said:

I apologise if I've led you to believe I interpreted what you wrote as a suggestion to do nothing. I did not. Honestly, communication on this forum sometimes drives me to despair.

I was just clarifying my position - more on the basis of what I had previously said than your reply. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 3:09 AM, tldpdb1 said:

It Could be worse....The World could have been Taken over by all the Little Hitler Clones from "The Boys from Brazil"

What makes you think it hasn't?   

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2019 at 11:19 PM, NickW said:

Personally I don't buy into the level of simplistic alarmism going on of late - we are all gonna die in 10 years.

Randomly related incongruity for you:

fa9d7272257b294f3cc93c28453a23189838238b75e0ba7b95797e4683052b5b.png

5648fdf37077540eb658244451eb2d10811fb854643ef2d1dc57edf49a35ec2a.jpg

67290bf40556684221ee9b40619e530dcf0b61ab503fe9abaf6db480e0880707.png

1fb11aae133b27bdaef3b0c0b39400105a5e33428e6609822709291f901834a4.jpg

On 5/11/2019 at 7:26 PM, Jan van Eck said:

What makes you think it hasn't?   

I definitely think this guy was an in vitro birth conception somewhere in the jungles of Brazil

Verhofstat.jpg

• Haha 2

On 5/9/2019 at 10:19 PM, NickW said:

the Greta Thunberg stuff is almost like the Village of the Dammed but I do suspect we are in slow boiled frog mode on the climate front

I think the original title, "The Midwich Cuckoos," is more appropriate.

On 5/9/2019 at 7:45 PM, Tom Kirkman said:

In the U.S. AOC proclaims the world will end in 12 years due to Climate Change Apocalyse, while Presidential hopeful Beto uses one-upmanship of only 10 years before Climate Change Catastrophe.

Haven't you heard? She backtracked, says it was "dry humor + sarcasm"

12 minutes ago, DanilKa said:

Haven't you heard? She backtracked, says it was "dry humor + sarcasm"

BS.  AOC was serious as a heart attack.

See attached.

New Green Deal FAQ.pdf

10 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

BS.  AOC was serious as a heart attack.

See attached.

New Green Deal FAQ.pdf

068B28E4-7DE4-42B0-9D68-31C666A7720C.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Wow, that is some seriously amazing backpedaling by AOC.

Will Beto now backpedal on his one-upmanship of 10 years before Climate Change Armageddon?

Um, is blatantly offending your political opponents a new tradition or a long-running one? I really haven't paid that much attention before but now the style some U.S. politicians are using in their public communication is... well, surprising.

On 5/10/2019 at 12:15 PM, NickW said:

The point I made is not an excuse to do nothing, in fact its on the contrary. What we actually need are consistent long term policies to support wind and solar, a more pragmatic approach to nuclear which IMO is generally needed for high population density countries like the UK in high latitude climates.

On the demand side - policies to incentivise people to move away from SUV's back to normal size cars, shift towards public transport, support for domestic solar (Not what the UK government is doing) and especially energy efficiency. Id like to see more support for domestic CHP systems which generate heat and electricity from Gas - this would pretty much mirror demand in cold climates.

On 5/10/2019 at 12:36 PM, Marina Schwarz said:

I often wonder what came first - alarmists or deniers... Seems very chicken and egg to me. 

On a personal note - whilst I consider myself very moderate I have to admit that all the denial views presented on this forum if anything more sympathetic for the alarmists. Maybe the opposite is true of other forums. 

There have always been people with extreme views on any axis, so yes, probably chicken and egg although we know that the egg actually came first. :)  However, classifying even moderate view as extreme is something I have trouble accepting. In climate-related discussions it seems this most commonly applies to sceptics who are being called deniers. The whole climate debate is taking on the characteristics of mass hysteria, fueled by social networks. I see on Twitter mostly, here not so much, thankfully. 

7 hours ago, DanilKa said:

068B28E4-7DE4-42B0-9D68-31C666A7720C.jpeg

Fact checking time. 

AOC was serious as a heart attack in her original claim of 12 years till Climate Change Catastrophe.

Go to this link to see the 1 minute video of AOC making it clear she was not joking.  

Ocasio-Cortez realizes she said something stupid and reacts badly

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez finally understands that her claim that we have only 12 years to save the world from global warming disaster was a ridiculous statement.  Having been mocked by her many enemies, and unable to defend the absurdity, she is actually digging a deeper hole for herself, trying to main the self-righteousness that seems to power her drive for political power.

In a Tweet Sunday morning, she implausibly claimed that the 12 years ‘til doom prediction was “dry humor” and that the GOP is too stupid to grasp her wittiness:

This is a technique of the GOP, to take dry humor + sarcasm literally and “fact check” it.

Like the “world ending in 12 years” thing, you’d have to have the social intelligence of a sea sponge to think it’s literal.

But the GOP is basically Dwight from The Office so who knows.

This is a provable lie.

She spoke in public last January about her claim of 12 years to escape doom and nobody laughed. Her audience clearly did not think it was a joke, and she did not pause for laughter at the punch line. Rather, she was greeted by applause:

Embedded video

.@AOC on millennials and social media: "We’re, like, the world is going to end in 12 years if we don’t address climate change"

And she doubled down in April on Instagram, without a trace of a smile or humor. (view here).  The only mention of laughter was her explicit denial of any humor in the situation:

"For everyone who wants to make a joke about that, you may laugh, but your grandkids will not."

She is shaming people who disagree with her, claiming history and their heirs will judge them harshly for laughing. And now she wants to claim she was joking? What will her grandkids (assuming she reproduces) think?

She didn’t think this through --  a skill that she has not practiced very much. If she is claiming that it’s dry humor to say 12 years are left before doom, then she is also mocking the  2018 UN report from whose conclusion she extracted her 12 years prediction. This would make her a “denier” if her claim of humor is taken seriously.

The ingenue pol is simply not used to being called to account for the stupid things she says. Having lived her adult life as fit, busty, good-looking female with some good dance moves, and working as a bartender, she could get away with spouting all sorts of nonsense, and at least the males around her would nod, approve, or sympathize. Hot chicks don’t get called out very often by the guys.

And I’m joking that AOC knows what’s she is telling - in 12 years she’ll be old enough to run for US presidency and fulfill her doomsday election promise...

nobody laughs though - cause that’s a plausible scenario

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Michael Sanches said:

I think the original title, "The Midwich Cuckoos," is more appropriate.

I know but more people are familiar with the Village of the Dammed and the visual imagery of the 8 kids.