Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ronwagn

What is the price of a Barrel of Oil vs. equal Natural gas?

An easy way to keep track of the comparison between the price of equivalent amounts of natural gas fuel versus a barrel of oil. It does not include the cost of compressing or liquifying it into CNG or LNG. Those prices are variable. You could compress the natural gas in your own garage for example. 

https://ycharts.com/indicators/boe_natural_gas_price

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2019 at 8:24 PM, ronwagn said:

An easy way to keep track of the comparison between the price of equivalent amounts of natural gas fuel versus a barrel of oil. It does not include the cost of compressing or liquifying it into CNG or LNG. Those prices are variable. You could compress the natural gas in your own garage for example. 

https://ycharts.com/indicators/boe_natural_gas_price

I have a question for you, Mr. Natural Gas.  I've been reading ngvglobal like you recommended and noticed that a lot of NG engines have been certified in the last 2-3 years.  It's almost as though industry is preparing for a massive shift. 

Here's the question: How quickly could the world switch vehicles from diesel to natural gas?  I.e. how quickly can natural gas destroy liquid crude demand? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BenFranklin'sSpectacles said:

It's almost as though industry is preparing for a massive shift

They will have to build a lot of natural gas filling stations.  Also, because of the nature of natural gas, you have more leakage when it goes through pipelines or into storage tanks.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Okie said:

They will have to build a lot of natural gas filling stations.  Also, because of the nature of natural gas, you have more leakage when it goes through pipelines or into storage tanks.

There are already plenty of natural gas filling stations. Most of them carry gasoline and diesel also. 

As for the leakage, the technology to find the leaks is readily available. The United States has tens of thousands of miles of natural gas pipelines. Lots of crude oil has been spilled also. It is a much worse problem. 

Anyone can buy a natural gas compression system. Fleet terminals should be sold on the idea of building their own. Especially for local return trips. 

http://www.cngprices.com/station_map.php

http://naturalgas.org/naturalgas/transport/

(edited)

2 hours ago, BenFranklin'sSpectacles said:

I have a question for you, Mr. Natural Gas.  I've been reading ngvglobal like you recommended and noticed that a lot of NG engines have been certified in the last 2-3 years.  It's almost as though industry is preparing for a massive shift. 

Here's the question: How quickly could the world switch vehicles from diesel to natural gas?  I.e. how quickly can natural gas destroy liquid crude demand? 

I really don't know the answer to that question. My goal is to help the transition. I predict that the transition is inevitable UNLESS something better comes along. I do not see anything better coming along. Natural gas is practically free energy compared to anything else that can be used for large vehicles such as ships, locomotives, trucks, airplanes, big cars, etc. It is also the best answer for creating electricity. It is very clean, and I would put it up against wind and solar considering the visual blight, etc. Biogas is a plus that helps get rid of a lot of biological waste and leaves a soil additive residue. Biogas has an enhanced Green appeal. 

Very large natural gas deposits have been found offshore in many areas and will be found in others. Stopping flaring should be another reason to use the natural gas already being wasted. Pollution and the desire for cleaner air are potent reasons for the transition to natural gas. 

Natural gas is a competitor to gasoline nad diesel. It helps control the pricing because it offers a better option IMO. Ethanol and propane are two smaller competitors. 

Edited by ronwagn
addition
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

Generally natural gas is sold by the Million BTU, to know the price of a ton of natural gas you should multiply the price by 52, Because, well a metric ton of natural gas is 52 million BTU.

Generally the price of natural gas in the latest years has been between 110 to 250 dollars a metrical ton, while the price of oil has been between 412 and 640 dollars.

The question is, what's the price of LNG at a port vs the price of synthetic diesel made from the natural gas?

Edited by Sebastian Meana