Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marina Schwarz

What's in a Name

Danish DONG Energy changed its name to, erm, Ørsted (pronounced “Ehr-still*”), after the scientist who discovered electromagnetism. The family sued. The company won...

But embarrassment was something of a factor too: “DONG,” while innocuous in Denmark, tends to have a different meaning among English speakers.

Gotta love these name-changing energy companies.

* This is why I love this language. Nothing is what it seems. I'm not even sure this transcription is accurate.

45 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

But embarrassment was something of a factor too: “DONG,” while innocuous in Denmark, tends to have a different meaning among English speakers.

whilst probably not the only reason there is a striking correlation between Ørsteds entry into US renewables and the name change. On the other hand they operated under the name DONG in the UK for 15 years +. 

It says they're now the largest wind power producer (or one of?), so yeah, it definitely makes sense even besides the unfortunate part with the English meaning. 

I wonder when Vietnam will get around to renaming their currency...