Marina Schwarz

California Threatens Ban on ICE Cars

Forest ... trees ... Darwin Awards ...

4bb7d87a48b1e6777eaae1cde46a148113779d8ecb663009df6bcb845c648266.jpeg

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

California regulator threatens ban on gasoline engines

I say do it. Take the experiment out of the lab. So what if it's the single largest car market among all the states? DO IT NOW.

California is one of the few places in the world who can actually go solar + pumped hydro storage.... They won't of course as all those hydro dams would destroy many valley's.  Rather they will pretend they can build batteries. 

So why don't they? They certainly want to do it. Subsidise EVs for everyone and go 100% renewable. 

Agree, they need to put their money where their mouth is! Quit talking and start doing!

I will sit back, watch and laugh.

At least electric cars actually work year round in California. The canadian green party is campaigning on mandating all electric vehicles by 2040. They seem to be not concerned about the very well known fact that EV batteries shit the bed when its below minus 20 (most places in canada) Winnipeg bought some electric buses and they were dead in the water as soon as winter hit and they had to stop using them. 

But never mind those facts, canada is going 100% EV according to the greens. Maybe their version of the green new deal includes building heated domes over every road in canada. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Keith boyd said:

Winnipeg bought some electric buses and they were dead in the water as soon as winter hit and they had to stop using them. 

There i this school-bus manufacturer in greater Montreal area, I think on the South Shore, that builds these electric school buses.  But the builder installs a "Webasto" heater, which is a small oil furnace  (same idea as you would have in your house) that pumps hot water through piping to both heat up the bus and heat that battery pack.  Underneath is this diesel oil tank to provide the fuel for the Webasto.  So, pure electric it is not.  Oh, well. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

(edited)

These people have lost their minds. I'm never surprised at what's comes next these days. I'm also throughly convinced they have absolutely no idea how to use a calculator. Gasoline taxes are the 2nd largest source of revenue collection only behind income tax..
Let alone all the other slough of fees that go into regulating the oil, fuel, and ICE auto industry, sales tax, the list goes on and on. 
They cant even make it financially WITH all that revenue. Where else do they plan to pull other people's money to give away? 
But again, i dont think they really care about that either. Might as well just rename the state capital to Caracas 

Edited by J.mo
  • Upvote 1

On 5/17/2019 at 1:04 AM, Marina Schwarz said:

I say do it. Take the experiment out of the lab. So what if it's the single largest car market among all the states? DO IT NOW.

Maybe ICE vehicle manufacturer's should say we are banning sales of our cars in Crappifornia.

Oil companies should say we are banning our fuels and derivatives in Crappifornia , no fuels, no petchems, no plastics, no composites, no asphalt for roads, no rubber for tyres, no fertilizers for agri, no transport of anything, shipping at standstill, no farming, no processing, no IOT, no iphones, no androids .............................. no water?

And oil and petchem companies should say we are banning the sales of our products to companies who will sell finished products from our components to Crappifornia. End destination clause ~!!!!!

Let Crappifornia be OIL FREE!!!!!!

even for just a week! PLEASE PLEASE!!!:D🤣

Was there a specific timeframe mentioned? I doubt we're talking about an immediate ban. I would like to see them enact a plan for this in the form of bringing the timeframe closer and closer as production capacity and the technology develops further and maybe combine this with some sort of additional action on charging infrastructure. I'd say set it to 2035 to give industry a proper message and then review the situation every 3-5 years and shorten the timeframe if possible.

(edited)

On 5/17/2019 at 3:04 PM, Marina Schwarz said:

image.png.34c1905ccf2a4713e0bd1a98d9ad6f5b.png

Electric car and this kid's assignment might have some silimarities....... It appears new and correct from one perspective but not so right in details from the other..........

Electric cars might still have some safety issues to be improvised......

1. In case the current is off...... everything is off..... including the braking system.............. automatic car could post more danger during break down than manual. Unless they work on grid (attached to grid) like trams in Europe there might be no guarantee especially if the cars are out sourced to be produced somewhere else.........

2. software operated car could be attacked easily like a computer linking to the internet. Unless there is a separate system governing the important functions of car and other added features that are not related to how car functions ..... the car might always be in alert mode...........especially when it gets popular and some techies might be thinking of earning money by sabotaging and threathening the existing  steady settings like commonly seen in the movies.

3. limiting raw materials might cause the exterior of the car to be more fragile to collision than before e.g national cars produced in Malaysia. The cars evolve from hard body that rarely dent despite light collision with good car parts lasting more than 20 years to soft body that can be dented with finger and parts that usually broken down after 5 to 10 years depending on the usages. Lithium battery is sensitive to collision despite it might be just light collision. With softer body parts the protective factor from the exterior is estimated to be reduced.

Therefore........ there ought to be no rush for the aim to be achieved until all aspects are inspected properly before going full force. There might be no wrong to coexist with gasoline engines. If the development is to be redesigned to patchy instead of metropolitans so that the number of cars would be minimized and the well designed electric public transport on grid like a few places in Europe could function at optimum......... the whole scenario would be changed........ It will not be a fight of monoistic any more but multi-car-istic. Jam would be reduced and etc.

22 hours ago, Keith boyd said:

At least electric cars actually work year round in California. The canadian green party is campaigning on mandating all electric vehicles by 2040. They seem to be not concerned about the very well known fact that EV batteries shit the bed when its below minus 20 (most places in canada) Winnipeg bought some electric buses and they were dead in the water as soon as winter hit and they had to stop using them. 

But never mind those facts, canada is going 100% EV according to the greens. Maybe their version of the green new deal includes building heated domes over every road in canada. 

noted. Keep us updated then......... thanks

Edited by specinho

Well, there will not be ban on internal combustion engines by 2040.  Why won't there be a ban?

1. Banning all US military vehicles with ICE engines would not only be unconstitutional, but a major hit on California economics. One reason that California is rich is because of military spending in the state.

2. Banning all tourists with ICE engines would result in a huge economic hit in a state that depends on tourism. In fact, this may cause the law to be deemed unconstitutional due to the interstate commerce clause.

3. Banning registration of ICE engines in used cars would hit the immigrant community hard because they need cheap, used cars.

Now, banning new car sales with ICE engines is doable. And, knowing California I kind of expect this to happen.

On 5/18/2019 at 12:20 PM, Keith boyd said:

At least electric cars actually work year round in California. The Canadian green party is campaigning on mandating all electric vehicles by 2040. They seem to be not concerned about the very well known fact that EV batteries shit the bed when its below minus 20 (most places in canada) Winnipeg bought some electric buses and they were dead in the water as soon as winter hit and they had to stop using them. 

I live in the frozen north (Edmonton, AB) and the Prius batteries have been fine - unlike a ICE lead acid starter battery that might last 6 years if you are lucky.

We used to have electric buses (not battery but overhead lines); now they are gone but we are installing more and more electric trains (LRT) all the time, paid for in part by carbon taxes.

2 hours ago, Michael Sanches said:

Now, banning new car sales with ICE engines is doable. And, knowing California I kind of expect this to happen.

California has long been an environmental leader.  Without them a lot of places would still use 2 stroke ICE without a catalytic converter...

When they regulate the rest of the country/world follows as it's a huge market.

"This product is known by the state of California..."

News Flash!

ALOT of places still use two stroke engines! They must not have gotten the memo.

Check out your chain saw engine.

Here in Asia there are many two stroke scooters.