SK

Did Saudi Arabia pull a "Jussie Smollett" and fake an attack on themselves to justify indiscriminate bombing on Yemen city population ?

(edited)

I thought US undertook an investigation into tanker and pipeline bombings.  Has any conclusion been released ?

The Yemen border is 600 miles from the pipeline pump stations.  Does Yemen have the technology and capability to pull that off ? They have been lobbing Iranian supplied missels into KSA with little accuracy. Yemen has sent rockets into KSA with no successful hits for a while.  Then they send drones 600 miles into KSA with direct hit on pipeline pump stations.  

We will never know if MBS/AL-FALIH pulled a 'Jussie" but you know they are quite capable of doing it.

SAUDIS TRYING TO SCARE-UP Oil PRICES

NOW Saudis are ramping up the rhetoric after their meeting in Jeddah this weekend.  Calling for Security meeting May 30th.  Notice the sabotage started right after Brent started testing support at $70.  Public still hasn't been shown proof of Iranian backing ?  

Oil Minister al-Falih now admitting oil inventories are UP .  Orbital Insight numbers are correct (143 Million bbls last 20 weeks) . WORLD INVENTORY UP 143 mm/bbls (That's HUGE) . . . WITH . (1) OPEC CUTS, (2) SANCTIONS, (3) LIBYAN CONFLICT, (4) TANKER SABOTAGE (5) PIPELINE SABOTAGE , (6) RUSSIAN CONTAMINATED CRUDE. 

What does that tell you. 

Edited by Falcon

2 hours ago, Falcon said:

I thought US undertook an investigation into tanker and pipeline bombings.  Has any conclusion been released ?

I dont think they would pull a "Jussie", it would just make them look vulnerable and exposed to sabotage and a threat to their ambitions of the great ARAMCO IPO ;)

It would also make their oil customers to start looking for more alternative supplies, so they wont be interested in "belittling" themselves in these terms

(edited)

no the Houthis claimed responsibility for the pipeline attack by Houthi military spokesman. https://www.israelhayom.com/2019/05/15/saudi-oil-pipeline-hit-by-drones-iran-backed-houthis-claim-responsibility/

And yeah MBS want a war with Iran, while he thinks that its easy to control Qatif as the population there might stand with Iran.

I also hope something happen, not so positive about MBS plans.... 

Edited by العنزي ،،،
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ceo_energemsier said:

I dont think they would pull a "Jussie", it would just make them look vulnerable and exposed to sabotage and a threat to their ambitions of the great ARAMCO IPO ;)

It would also make their oil customers to start looking for more alternative supplies, so they wont be interested in "belittling" themselves in these terms

Don't underestimate the stupidity of rabble rousing plans.

I remember when the whole Tawana Brawley hoax erupted back in '87.

Jussie Smollet apparently copied the Tawana tactic.

I can see these current oil "bombings" as just another trouble-making sh*t-stirring provocation.

de1b66dd703c0dfeaf0df99c84794520fc2ff9a870013e1ad07e9be830d5f029.png

2 hours ago, العنزي ،،، said:

no the Houthis claimed responsibility for the pipeline attack by Houthi military spokesman. https://www.israelhayom.com/2019/05/15/saudi-oil-pipeline-hit-by-drones-iran-backed-houthis-claim-responsibility/

And yeah MBS want a war with Iran, while he thinks that its easy to control Qatif as the population there might stand with Iran.

I also hope something happen, not so positive about MBS plans.... 

I read there was a call into a Yemen TV station whereby the caller vlaimed to be a Yemen military general.  The article said authenticy of call had not yet been confirmed.

5 hours ago, العنزي ،،، said:

There is an infamous quote, "We will fight to them to the last dead American." It was in reference to a previous skirmish, but no doubt the sentiment remains.

They tried to get the Pakistani's to fight the Houthies. The Saudis will not put their military in serious harms way except to guard the palaces unless they are fighting on home soil. Now would the House of Saud like the USA to fight Iran for them, absolutely. 

The shias of the Eastern Province have by and large been losers in MBS's reign. Al Hasa, not just Qatif, has also suffered too, partly by losing commerce with Qatar. Areas of Qatif have been absolutely brutalized and left to rubble by the government.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, John Foote said:

There is an infamous quote, "We will fight to them to the last dead American." It was in reference to a previous skirmish, but no doubt the sentiment remains.

They tried to get the Pakistani's to fight the Houthies. The Saudis will not put their military in serious harms way except to guard the palaces unless they are fighting on home soil. Now would the House of Saud like the USA to fight Iran for them, absolutely. 

The shias of the Eastern Province have by and large been losers in MBS's reign. Al Hasa, not just Qatif, has also suffered too, partly by losing commerce with Qatar. Areas of Qatif have been absolutely brutalized and left to rubble by the government.

I recall from the 80s and 90s that some of the Shia's out of Al Hasa were always a thorn in the side of Al Saud and KSA policies, even back then there were numerous small scale "insurgencies" carried out by the Shia's in that province against the Gov and Aramco interests, and even back then there were bits and pieces of info around (pre internet days, instant messaging)  that Iran was using the Shia's of the province to carry out their proxy wars.

Recall the violence carried out by Iranian "pilgrims"

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1987-08-02-mn-971-story.html

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/127214/iranians-no-longer-allowed-make-pilgrimage-mecca

I think I've been every place the US State Department suggested I avoid. Al Hasa, Qatif, Qasim, and Jazan come to mind (Jazan for the war with Yemen and a place I was at was bombed the next week). Baring rocks and very small arms, there can be no fighting the man in Kingdom.

A few areas of Qatif has always been openly hostile to the House of Saud. The only place with graffiti saying death to the Sauds and F the king sort of thing. By and large the Shias are second class citizens in their own land. The Naj only came much later, after Aramco was bringing in the money. Prior to MBS the Shias were more or less protected by the Sauds, albeit with a serious glass ceiling. After MBS bombing mosques, busses, etc., became fair game for Al Qaeda. You abuse what was the majority population enough, they'll fight back, you leave them no choice. That said, they have no capability to fight but they do have a lot of babies. Would they welcome Iran, sort of but not really, but they'd also welcome Al Dossary's in charge. The Shia culture there are from farmers, fisherman, and some trading. The Naj come from Bedouin roots. Those are more significant differences than Shia/Sunni. I have a good friend whose parents, one is Sunni, one if Shia. The current level of loathing is not the historical norm. Money and power, and rile us idiots to think it's our religion.

And KSA not allowing pilgrimages, that is pretty horrifying for a Muslim, and just about an act of war in and of itself. MBS also took the beginning of Ramadan to start his pressure on Qatar. In an honor shame culture, he has no shame. Before they closed ranks, even the Saudis at Aramco were aghast the Qatar thing started during Ramadan.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

John lots of negativity in your reply, I am not going to argue with you, as usually political arguments don't end.

Lots of wrong facts I want to correct. Saudi Arabia allow pilgrimages from anywhere, in fact this year they increased the quota for Iranian pilgrimage., and for Qataris they have allowed them to come without even registering, as the Qatari gov blocked the registering site. Politics have been always separated from these affairs.

And what do you mean pressure on Qatar? we closed the border and pulled our diplomats only.

Edited by Abdulah AlBassam

7 hours ago, Abdulah AlBassam said:

And what do you mean pressure on Qatar? we closed the border and pulled our diplomats only.

Well now. Would you not think that "closing the border" is putting pressure on Qatar?   Considering the geography, and all. 

8 hours ago, John Foote said:

I think I've been every place the US State Department suggested I avoid.

Keep your head down, John.  They shoot at Westerners in that part of the world.  Actually, they shoot at everybody.  Kind of a rough neighborhood, if you get my drift. 

14 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Don't underestimate the stupidity of rabble rousing plans.

All true, of course.  But still,  putting bombs on your own or Western tankers goes way beyond stupid.  The more intuitive explanation is that the Iranians are behind it, either with their own commandos, or with proxies.  Puts the insurance rates up with "excess risk" premiums.  Both hull and cargo insurance can easily receive a 100% premium increase for being in a danger zone.  That makes Saudi/Iraqi/Kuwaiti oil more expensive, and forces the shippers to eat the premiums.  Ouch. 

(edited)

9 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

All true, of course.  But still,  putting bombs on your own or Western tankers goes way beyond stupid.  

UNDERSTAND Saudis and all of OPEC live in their own world.  This is demonstrated by their arrogance as well as the stupid I'll advised decisions they have made over the years.  

Think about it.  The Saudis are a relic, a Fifteenth Centurury barbaric autocracy living in the 21st century.

Just one example: within last year a young Saudi Princess went to Lebanon to attend University. She was very high up in the House of Saudi hiarchy, not some 10 generations removed. While at University she fell in love with a Saudi (married) man. 

Upon return to KSA She was tried under Sharia law and found guilty.

In front of their families, he was shot in the head, she had her head lopped of with a sword.  

I fail to understand how some rationalize this behavior.  The US is a champion for human rights, until it gets in the way of other goals

Edited by Falcon
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

All true, of course.  But still,  putting bombs on your own or Western tankers goes way beyond stupid.  The more intuitive explanation is that the Iranians are behind it, either with their own commandos, or with proxies.  Puts the insurance rates up with "excess risk" premiums.  Both hull and cargo insurance can easily receive a 100% premium increase for being in a danger zone.  That makes Saudi/Iraqi/Kuwaiti oil more expensive, and forces the shippers to eat the premiums.  Ouch. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-yemen-security-iran-denies/iran-denies-ties-to-houthi-drone-attack-on-saudi-oil-installations-idUSKCN1SN1S9

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-iran-oil-tankers-exclusive/exclusive-insurer-says-irans-guards-likely-to-have-organized-tanker-attacks-idUSKCN1SN1P7

4 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

Keep your head down, John.  They shoot at Westerners in that part of the world.  Actually, they shoot at everybody.  Kind of a rough neighborhood, if you get my drift. 

I'm there anymore, but to be honest, except for the crazy driving, I felt safer in Saudi Arabia than in the USA although I did keep a "go bag" and substantial wad of cash handy as a just in case. Westerners are safe in the KSA. Just don't be rude and overtly violate the local norms and values. 

Qatif and Al Hasa are quite welcoming to Americans. Away from the large cities I found Saudis as warm as welcoming as any people on the planet. People say Saudis won't work, in Qasim I was eating, observing some construction, and amazed at the craftsmanship being put into simple forms to prep for a concrete pour, going at it like a master carpenter making cabinets. And then I noticed it wasn't imported labor, but rather a local Saudi, and working on a Friday afternoon (Friday is prayer day, and you rarely see construction work at all). Qasim does have areas of Al Qaeda, but two of my friends were from the region. As are arguably the best dates in the world (food, not romantic or calendar dates). 

Yemen, Syria, Iraq, I would have loved to visit, but yes, outsiders there are at risk. Heck, locals are at risk.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Abdulah AlBassam said:

KSA did a lot more than that, and had Secretary Tillison not intervened, KSA probably would have invaded and turn Qatar into another Bahrain, a vassal state. MBS miscalculated the overall response. The largest US airbase in the region is in Qatar, so effectively the USA would have had to sanction an invasion. 

This also effectively destroyed the alliance of Gulf States since neither Oman or Kuwait would agree. It also forced Qatar into a military alliance with Turkey (Kuwait as well) and into closer ties with Iran. UEA does much more business with Iran than Qatar, so no b.s. on Qatar's ties there. Go to Iran, and the way around the banking restrictions is making the transactions appear logically in the UAE. At this point Qatar is probably more secure than before. And the lobbyists in DC are being very well paid by both sides to spew their stories.

MBS's next overreach will be for the King to be declared the guardian of Al-Aqsa Mosque. In return KSA will recognize Israel, completely sell out the Palestinians, alienate King Abdullah II Al-Hussien, ending centuries of Hashmite guardianship although the Ottomans really were in charge for quite a while. The great secret plan of Trump, MBS, and Jared. 

FYI, for folks who think Sharia Law is the boogyman, it's not.

In many ways it's very similar to Old Testament. Now in many areas they do not embrace utilizing precedent, as is done in most countries.

And anyone who has been around Christianity knows the bible is interpreted in many ways. The Roman Catholic faith I was raised in is quite different in social justice than the a fundamentalist Southern Baptist. 

A atheist Jewish friend of mine loves to mock the ten commandments. "Which one" he says. The Catholic, the Protestant, the Jewish. They are all a bit different.

KSA is almost unique in not allowing any public displays of religion except Islam, but that is their right. Don't go there if you don't like it. I am not a fan of absolute monarchies, but that is their system. It will destroy itself, history says that system always does, but it is there system to let them have it. Now should we risk one red corpuscle to protect that system? That is a different story. The story politicians sell to go to war is virtue, but it's rarely the true case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Foote said:

I'm there anymore, but to be honest, except for the crazy driving, I felt safer in Saudi Arabia than in the USA although I did keep a "go bag" and substantial wad of cash handy as a just in case. Westerners are safe in the KSA. Just don't be rude and overtly violate the local norms and values. 

Qatif and Al Hasa are quite welcoming to Americans. Away from the large cities I found Saudis as warm as welcoming as any people on the planet. People say Saudis won't work, in Qasim I was eating, observing some construction, and amazed at the craftsmanship being put into simple forms to prep for a concrete pour, going at it like a master carpenter making cabinets. And then I noticed it wasn't imported labor, but rather a local Saudi, and working on a Friday afternoon (Friday is prayer day, and you rarely see construction work at all). Qasim does have areas of Al Qaeda, but two of my friends were from the region. As are arguably the best dates in the world (food, not romantic or calendar dates). 

Yemen, Syria, Iraq, I would have loved to visit, but yes, outsiders there are at risk. Heck, locals are at risk.

Spent a lot of years in KSA and that part of the world. As an American, never felt unwanted. Traveled through all parts of KSA, UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, Jordan , Israel and ofcourse Yemen and Iraq. During the wars Iraq was a bit unnerving and Yemen even back in the 80s and early 90s carried a certain amount of risk, just because of the "unsettled tribes" here and there chewing Qat LOL. The Yemenis were always a nuisance in KSA as at one time they were probably one of the biggest population of illegals in that country and they basically ran just about all the stores and gas stations etc. They would just slip over the border and stay , this was in the 70s, 80s and even into the early 90s.

They had lot in common with the southern part of KSA, down into the Asir and Jizan areas.

Very beautiful region, one would not imagine that being the scenery in the Mid-East. I was lucky enough to see a leopard and 2 cubs, still have the pics somewhere.

I also remember the beautiful valleys and also experience snow fall in the north as well as the south and beautiful thunderstorms and flash floods in the deserts. Taif was also a great place in the summer too and in winter, that winter was like spring in the US.

I have the experience to drive all through KSA, UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar , Oman , Jordan and Israel and covered a lot of area in Yemen. When they started exported crude  from there, I moved a decent amount of cargoes from there and mostly was shipped to Europe and Japan back then and I think couple of the cargoes made it to the US. But then things got hairy so stopped the cargoes.

Overall people were always friendly, welcoming and great and gracious hosts. Enjoyed many many dinners and feasts at "farms" in KSA and such great farms they were, oasis in the desert.

Did enjoy a good amount of hunting as well with some of the locals.

I havent been back there to indulge in all these activities lately but all the contacts still say come on over!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

On 5/18/2019 at 2:31 PM, John Foote said:

MBS's next overreach will be for the King to be declared the guardian of Al-Aqsa Mosque. In return KSA will recognize Israel, completely sell out the Palestinians, alienate King Abdullah II Al-Hussien, ending centuries of Hashmite guardianship although the Ottomans really were in charge for quite a while. The great secret plan of Trump, MBS, and Jared. 

JF You are correct. Jared's current plan includes having Saudis in charge of holy sites security ( assume includes al- Asqa) Jerusalem. PLUS, Controls Jerusalem, Settles West Bank, and is allowed to install a security force inside the Palestinian territory.

The Palestinian get $10 Billion from MBS and Billions more from other countries.   Apparently Abbas has been briefed by MBS and rejected completely.

Edited by Falcon
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, ceo_energemsier said:

They had lot in common with the southern part of KSA, down into the Asir and Jizan areas.

Asir was my favorite place to run to on the long weekends, so beautiful. And just try and buy a meal for your host, almost impossible.

Outsiders don't realize KSA isn't a homogenous country. Just working and visiting Riyadh/Jeddah/Dammam-Dhahran-Khobar is not to know of the country.

I remember waiting for an airplane to go to Hail. A young Saudi man asked me where i was going (westerners just don't go there, very little commerce). I told him Hail and I wanted to see for myself the legendary hospitality and beauty of Hail. Within minutes he was trying to take me in and my biggest challenge was trying to come up with a acceptable way not to spend the weekend with his family since I already had plans. That sums up how I was usually treated away from the commerce sectors. And in Hail women run the market place. That caught me by surprise. Or going to a friends village, women driving, no one fully covers, unless an unvetted outsider shows up. Then they play the conservative game. 

I genuinely miss the adventure aspects of my KSA experience. The work, not at all, too dysfunctional, too many conflicting interests than an outsider cannot know.

• Like 1

(edited)

3 hours ago, John Foote said:

Asir was my favorite place to run to on the long weekends, so beautiful. And just try and buy a meal for your host, almost impossible.

Outsiders don't realize KSA isn't a homogenous country. Just working and visiting Riyadh/Jeddah/Dammam-Dhahran-Khobar is not to know of the country.

I remember waiting for an airplane to go to Hail. A young Saudi man asked me where i was going (westerners just don't go there, very little commerce). I told him Hail and I wanted to see for myself the legendary hospitality and beauty of Hail. Within minutes he was trying to take me in and my biggest challenge was trying to come up with a acceptable way not to spend the weekend with his family since I already had plans. That sums up how I was usually treated away from the commerce sectors. And in Hail women run the market place. That caught me by surprise. Or going to a friends village, women driving, no one fully covers, unless an unvetted outsider shows up. Then they play the conservative game. 

I genuinely miss the adventure aspects of my KSA experience. The work, not at all, too dysfunctional, too many conflicting interests than an outsider cannot know.

I have seen the Saudi women driving on the highways and even in cities and villages in the 80s and 90s, no one cared. The first time I saw , I was shocked, I had to look twice. I also saw women driving tractors on the highways between the farms and pick up trucks loaded with produce and other farm goods .

You never went hungry, whether you knew them ( local Saudis or not) if you just came across some people in the local market or the hotel or just walking around, you would definitely get an invite and a home cooked meal!!

Again also traveling across the country was a bit difficult because you needed to show the right papers at all the different checkpoints.

Even the security officers at the check points were very nice. On more than one occasion, it was prayer time, so they just closed the check point for their prayers and before that they asked if anyone wanted to join if not there were dates and tea and other goodies to feast on while waiting to get checked through. You always had to carry "papers", "jawazat, iqama, and a host of other documents"

Hail was a very laid back place like the rest of the country away from all the big cities. I also enjoyed the time in Taif as well. There were a lot of creeks and streams and the stepped farms or terraced farms with lot of wildlife including the big fanged Hamadryas Baboon troops that  would raid the farms and fields. I have troops comprising of atleast a hundred of these critters hanging near the Intercontinental Hotel in Taif (that was in the 80s and 90s)

The local farmers markets were just that local farmers markets, everything local including bananas and pommegranates.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/360366

Also enjoyed a great amount of fishing and diving both in the Red Sea and the AG

Edited by ceo_energemsier
corrections
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, ceo_energemsier said:

Also enjoyed a great amount of fishing and diving both in the Red Sea and the AG

KSA has some beautiful geography.  You have some very fond memories.

While there did you get the opportunity to witness a beheading for disagreeing with the Monarchy ?

(edited)

1 hour ago, Falcon said:

KSA has some beautiful geography.  You have some very fond memories.

While there did you get the opportunity to witness a beheading for disagreeing with the Monarchy ?

Yes saw several of the crime punishment events!!! also saw many of the public floggings too.

Edited by ceo_energemsier
Correction