Tom Kirkman

Australia Election Summary: "This was the Climate Change Cult Election, and the Climate Change Cult Lost"

6 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

1 minute video on Sky News. 

Absolutely brilliant summary. 

Canada, take note, for your upcoming federal elections in October.

I cannot embed the video, here is a link:

Sky News Video - "This was the Climate Change Cult Election, and the Climate Change Cult Lost"

Is it normal for Australian news anchors to be dressed so haphazardly?

5 hours ago, BenFranklin'sSpectacles said:

Is it normal for Australian news anchors to be dressed so haphazardly?

I rarely watch news on TV, usually only at airport waiting lounges, where there is hours to kill and nothing else to do.  So I'm the wrong person to ask about what news anchors wear.

I love Tom's climate change meme posts. They are like autist grade awesome. 

Keep the memes coming Tom, you have a natural talent for the meme magic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Keith boyd said:

I love Tom's climate change meme posts. They are like autist grade awesome. 

Keep the memes coming Tom, you have a natural talent for the meme magic. 

Heh heh thanks Keith.  Actually, I'm dyslexic, not autistic, but I appreciate the reference to a certain chan research forum where autists post memes with wild abandon. 

When I was a kid, before I learned how to keep my dyslexia under control, I would literally see one way signs pointing the wrong way.

For example I would see an arrow pointing to the right  ----->  while in actual fact the arrow was pointing to the left  <-----

Mirror image visually for arrows, letters, numbers, things like that.  Forwards, backwards, mirror image, upside down, or any combination of the above.  I learned that yep, I do indeed see things differently than most people.  Writing with 2 hands at the same time, my left hand would write right to left (backwards) while writing at the same time, my right hand would write normally, left to right.  All that got "unlearned" out of me early on in very strict private religious school (was taught that being left handed was eeeevil - not joking here.)

These days, sh*tposting on the wild west of uncensored chan forums amuses me endlessly.  Horrified reactions by polite people can make it even more amusing.

And here on this forum, I need to keep it tame, but hopefully still amusing, and trying my darndest to stay somewhere in the vicinity of the primary topic of oil & gas + its intertwined politics.

Since I'm already derailing my own thread, here is an example that I tend to use to try to explain what dyslexia is like.  It is not like this exactly, but the mental brain farts and mental disorientation at trying to do this correctly tends to approximate the mixed-up-ness of having my brain wired a bit differently than most. 

In this example below, I would feel more at home seeing colors while others would feel more comfortable seeing words.  Try saying out loud this chart as per the instructions. 

It's not that difficult, but a bit disconcerting, and you will probably need to concentrate on each color and each word and process your thinking for each color in order to do this correctly.  That is similar to how dyslexia used to be for me, before I got it under control:

color_test.gif

51 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Heh heh thanks Keith.  Actually, I'm dyslexic, not autistic, but I appreciate the reference to a certain chan research forum where autists post memes with wild abandon. 

When I was a kid, before I learned how to keep my dyslexia under control, I would literally see one way signs pointing the wrong way.

For example I would see an arrow pointing to the right  ----->  while in actual fact the arrow was pointing to the left  <-----

Mirror image visually for arrows, letters, numbers, things like that.  Forwards, backwards, mirror image, upside down, or any combination of the above.  I learned that yep, I do indeed see things differently than most people.  Writing with 2 hands at the same time, my left hand would write right to left (backwards) while writing at the same time, my right hand would write normally, left to right.  All that got "unlearned" out of me early on in very strict private religious school (was taught that being left handed was eeeevil - not joking here.)

These days, sh*tposting on the wild west of uncensored chan forums amuses me endlessly.  Horrified reactions by polite people can make it even more amusing.

And here on this forum, I need to keep it tame, but hopefully still amusing, and trying my darndest to stay somewhere in the vicinity of the primary topic of oil & gas + its intertwined politics.

Ha I love it. I too can write with both hands at the same time, and my left writes backwards also. I too went to Catholic school and clearly remember the nun smacking my left hand with a ruler to discourage me from writing left handed. With your 4 years of Latin (me too, getting scary here) you should recall the Latin for right is dexter, from which we get dexterous and Latin for left is sinister, from which we get… sinister. Speaking of sinister, have you noticed how many left handed presidents we've had lately? ;)

23 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

Ha I love it. I too can write with both hands at the same time, and my left writes backwards also. I too went to Catholic school and clearly remember the nun smacking my left hand with a ruler to discourage me from writing left handed. With your 4 years of Latin (me too, getting scary here) you should recall the Latin for right is dexter, from which we get dexterous and Latin for left is sinister, from which we get… sinister. Speaking of sinister, have you noticed how many left handed presidents we've had lately? ;)

Yikes, scarily similar!  Yes, Latin for left is "sinistra".  Good to know there ate others out there who can relate.

Side topic for lurkers who have no idea what the heck we are talking about:

Sinister is the Latin word for left-handed. What evolution of meaning turned left-handed into evil and threatening?

By early primary school, it was schooled out of me to stop using my left hand.  Although to this day, I still normally use my left hand for eating finger food (like popcorn and nuts) while using my right hand for using silverware to eat.

Being both dyslexic and switching from being predominately lefty to becoming predominately righty probably made for some odd neural wiring in my brain in my childhood development.

When I was forced to stop using my left hand for writing, I mostly lost the ability to write cursively, I can pretty much only print.  Trying to write cursively is an exercise is futility these days.  My signature is a memorized hand motion - if I get interrupted, I am unable to complete my own signature, and must restart.  Watching me try to write other words cursively would be like trying to watch someone who is severely brain damaged - slow, disconcerting, heavy concentration on trying to do the task.  Pretty much the opposite of automatic or easily done.

No worries though, these days I'm perfectly normal and well-adjusted : )

3 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Yikes, scarily similar!  Yes, Latin for left is "sinistra".  Good to know there ate others out there who can relate.

Side topic for lurkers who have no idea what the heck we are talking about:

Sinister is the Latin word for left-handed. What evolution of meaning turned left-handed into evil and threatening?

By early primary school, it was schooled out of me to stop using my left hand.  Although to this day, I still normally use my left hand for eating finger food (like popcorn and nuts) while using my right hand for using silverware to eat.

Being both dyslexic and switching from being predominately lefty to becoming predominately righty probably made for some odd neural wiring in my brain in my childhood development.

When I was forced to stop using my left hand for writing, I mostly lost the ability to write cursively, I can pretty much only print.  Trying to write cursively is an exercise is futility these days.  My signature is a memorized hand motion - if I get interrupted, I am unable to complete my own signature, and must restart.  Watching me try to write other words cursively would be like trying to watch someone who is severely brain damaged - slow, disconcerting, heavy concentration on trying to do the task.  Pretty much the opposite of automatic or easily done.

No worries though, these days I'm perfectly normal and well-adjusted : )

My hand writing was so bad, the nuns wouldn't let me use a pen.  I too mostly print, thank God for typing! 

Going back to the ancient Greeks, every soldier needed to face the same way in the cohort, with the sword or spear in the right hand and the shield in the left. That "regimentation" was needed, because mixing in a bunch of sinister lefties would mess up the formation. Perhaps that's still the case today? ;)

Worldwide only about 11% are left handed, but even less are ambidextrous (two rights). I can play any sport with either hand. In tennis I didn't use a backhand, I'd just switch hands. Had someone complain I was cheating in a match but of course there's no rule against it.

I never knew what dyslexia was until my senior year of high school. A classmate was going to some special school and the people from there had this cool puzzle where you looked through an eyepiece to solve it. It was pretty clever, apparently only dyslexic people could finish it. They asked how long I'd been struggling in school and I was like, "Umm I'm on the Honor Roll and have been taking all advanced placement classes since junior year". Apparently I wasn't in their target demographic. I vaguely remember trouble in the first grade but I got everything to click by the second grade. I get things wrong all the time, but I just read real fast several times and kind of average out what I think I saw. 

• Upvote 2