Tom Kirkman

Visualizing How Much Oil Is In An Electric Vehicle (Hint: a heckuva lot)

10 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Hmmmm, maybe we should look at the bigger picture.  Galactic climate change.  Because it's the next logical scientific progression.

It would be logical if people were in other galaxies.  No doubt you have as much evidence for that as you present in your many other posts on climate or renewables.  

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

Unfortunately that method doesn't work on my iPad. I've tried in Chrome and Safari.  :(

In menu go to

> Account

> Ignored Users

1 hour ago, Red said:

It would be logical if people were in other galaxies.  No doubt you have as much evidence for that as you present in your many other posts on climate or renewables.  

As a moderator, rather than scold people in this thread for edging closer to an all out verbal food fight, I intervened obliquely with some absurdist humor, to try to get people to put down the mashed potatoes and gravy that seemed ready to be hurled at others in food fight squabbling.

If you think I was actually serious about Galactic Climate Change, then I should probably switch from the Sarcasm font to Absurdist font.  Unfortunately, the Android software on my phone doesn't seem to be cooperating in adjusting the fonts.

• Haha 3

(edited)

22 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

In menu go to

> Account

> Ignored Users

Where is the fun in that?  If I wanted to isolate myself from idiots I would:

> Go to router

> Unplug power

Edited by Enthalpic
  • Great Response! 1

As a moderator, I am unable to ignore users. 

The "ignore" filter doesn't work for mods.

1e95992d076d6c300f3ab43c04f0cae13d7144143d08bd7f3dc7640cc52f87b4.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

If you think I was actually serious about Galactic Climate Change, then I should probably switch from the Sarcasm font to Absurdist font.  Unfortunately, the Android software on my phone doesn't seem to be cooperating in adjusting the fonts.

I commented on the fact that your post was without logic, and that as usual there was nothing evidentiary to support it.  Your other points may be of interest to your followers but seem irrelevant.

• Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, Red said:

I commented on the fact that your post was without logic, and that as usual there was nothing evidentiary to support it.  Your other points may be of interest to your followers but seem irrelevant.

My silly comments apparently stopped the verbal food fight in this thread though, so there's that....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

My silly comments apparently stopped the verbal food fight in this thread though, so there's that....

Why not do as Rodent suggested - and where you were copied in - and take posts with zero substance out of threads?

11 minutes ago, Red said:

Why not do as Rodent suggested - and where you were copied in - and take posts with zero substance out of threads?

Or for amusement, maybe we could trade places for a while:

• You moderate, and I'll comment about how Climate Change Science is settled and beyond question.

I can't seem to figure out how to add a poll to my suggestion ^ above. Reader votes might be amusing.

@Rodent how the heck do you add a poll to a thread?  This thread is already derailed, so may as well get a few giggles out of it.

1 minute ago, Tom Kirkman said:
  • You moderate, and I'll comment about how Climate Change Science is settled and beyond question.

Given I was website Administrator over 15 years ago, the moderator role comes naturally to me.  Whereas your knowledge of climate science might add true comedy here.

I say "gopher" it.

• Haha 2

One of the reasons so much oil is used in products is because it's so widely available and cheap through subsidies (especially externalities which now carry the cost of what is projected to be about 2200 trillion in a business as usual scenario) as well as being a monopoly in general. This for instance is one reason why EVs have struggled to develop for so long even as their technology advanced. It took a complete outsider to make EVs that are actually desirable and such that balanced out the pressure of the fossil fuel industry on car makers, everyone else just didn't seem to dare invest in these vehicles in a way as to make them competitive with ICEVs. Executing such investment/development is both difficult and potential repercussions to your existing business as a car company can be serious when you go against your main supporters which appear to often be fossil fuel investors and producers. Once fossil fuels begin to wane, more funds will be invested in alternatives for materials as well and I'm reasonably sure alternatives will be found and developed to be as cheap or cheaper than what we have today when the global industry actually starts serious work on this. A monopoly is never good for anyone other than the ones in control of it and oil is a clear monopoly, the largest of them all. The good news is that it's no longer as solid a monopoly as it once was, existing alternatives have likely already put a cap on the price for a barrel of oil that fossil fuel companies can get and that cap will be moving down in coming decades making it less and less attractive as an investment while at the same time external costs will undoubtedly be rising making the investment in fossil fuel technology even less appealing.

12 hours ago, Red said:

Given I was website Administrator over 15 years ago, the moderator role comes naturally to me.  Whereas your knowledge of climate science might add true comedy here.

I say "gopher" it.

Let me break my promise early and end it here: But, back to my original post: Ah, here is the vid with many of the references for cosmic radiation foundation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3biTbgx_l3c What is interesting is that Neptune has "magically" mirrored the exact same "warming" as the earth...  Note Jupiter/Saturn produce their own radiance(heat) so... Why Neptune is relevant. 

And here is a gigantic list of the solar variances http://chrono.qub.ac.uk/blaauw/cds.html listing links between cosmic rays, sunspots and no, I am not going to do the  searching, reading, contemplation for you.  The answer is the sun.  WAY too many things correlate with the sun(common sense as well).  CO2 is NOT among them.  It is not true in the ice cores and it is not true in Hansens paper.  All one has to do is look at C14 %'s historically and it becomes even MORE apparent. 

Now add radiative forcing of clouds is hundreds of times greater than even 100% CO2 atmosphere and...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Wastral said:

Why Neptune is relevant. 

Planets without humans are not relevant to climate change issues.

5 hours ago, Wastral said:

The answer is the sun.

You would need to show why declining irradiance leads to increasing temperature, which has been our planet's trend for many decades.  You have not, do not, and cannot.  You cannot because there is absolutely no data available which supports that contention.

• Downvote 1

So EVs need Lithium sourced batteries to function. Just a reminder that Lithium is a rare earth metal which needs to be mined from the earth similar to extracting petroleum from the earth. Lithium is also a NON-RENEWABLE resource. 

1 hour ago, Bobby P said:

So EVs need Lithium sourced batteries to function. Just a reminder that Lithium is a rare earth metal which needs to be mined from the earth similar to extracting petroleum from the earth. Lithium is also a NON-RENEWABLE resource. 

Lithium is NOT a rare earth metal and it is not rare.  Its concentration is rare.  In fact, "rare earth" metals, are not rare at all.  Their concentration is rare like lithium.  So, if it is the ONLY thing you are mining, then you have some problems.  And no, no element is a non-renewable resource unless you literally FISSION the entire source material.  So, the only non "renewable" resource, are the super heavy elements.  Of course there are so many absurd gigatons of even the rarest elements(couple exceptions... we think) as to be laughable.  The only question is the ability to mine and refine economically. 

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 2

On 5/28/2019 at 8:18 PM, Red said:

In the many forums I visit, I have yet to have anyone present climate science from their perspective that explains the reality we all experience.

There is a paper that I have uploaded to academia.edu which does present a rational case for global warming that by-passes the IPCC uncertainly and reckless advocacy. Has everyone missed it?

"Macro-modelling, using regression analysis over the period from 1850 to 2012, can be used to successfully identify the impact of identified variables on the average annual global temperature. Variables included were: increases in the atmospheric levels of GHGs, anthropogenic atmospheric sulphur emissions, volcanic acidic aerosols, total solar irradiance and ENSO / El Niño. The generated model uses the IPCC's formulae for measuring the change in flux arising from the identified changes in the atmospheric levels of each of the GHGs. In addition, the model has been adapted to take into account delays in the heat taken up into the atmosphere. From this model we can calculate the observed climate sensitivity over the 163 years examined. This is shown to be 1.6 °C (with a 90% confidence range of 1.4-1.8 °C), even after taking into account all the "take-up delay" actually found in the data. Although there could be some residual delay not identified by the model, it is not sufficiently material to be actually found in data. Therefore this modelling allows us to propose that equilibrium climate sensitivity is likely to be very close to the 1.6 °C climate sensitivity observed in the data."

To read the paper, go to https://www.academia.edu/35473715/Macro-Modelling_Updated

• Upvote 1

Plastics are good.

Oil, converted into plastics retain most of it's energy and carbon content. It is not wasted completely.

Plastics can be recycled, or used as a feedstock for chem industry.

Oil burned in engine, is completely gone.

• Upvote 1