Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rodent

If a driverless car's "passenger" is drunk, is it still drunk driving?

"The California Highway Patrol (CHP) says a driver was found passed out in his Tesla with a very high blood alcohol content on San Francisco’s Bay Bridge on Friday. The driver, according to CHP, claimed the car had been “set on autopilot” in an apparent attempt to defend himself."

Tesla's autopilot still requires from driver to take full control over the vehicle. They were warning that current driverless system can't replace a human operator, but assist them in controlling the vehicle.  

Right, now Tesla should add "not a replacement for a sober human pilot" just to avoid any misunderstanding. 

Isn't the term "driverless" car a misnomer, then? Let's be precise, people!

Sad and funny story at the same time. Pathetic people would say anything to avoid responsibility and this is the best example of that.  

Well, Tesla did name the feature "autopilot", allowing these dumb owners to think that's more capable that it really is. 

That's a reason why there's an Uber. At least you won't wake up next morning drowsy and aware of your stupidity. 

It would be nice if Tesla just forget about its autopilot for a while. What they are doing with electric cars is more important for them and shouldn't be threatened by bad news about autopilot accidents. 

Yes I agree with you completely. Tesla's primary purpose is to fight pollution with its EVs against IC engines. And now they will ruin everything with unnecessary autopilot. 

On 1/23/2018 at 12:50 AM, Rodent said:

Isn't the term "driverless" car a misnomer, then? Let's be precise, people!

The Model S is not driverless. it has an Autopilot system, which is actually described as a semi-automatic system. Drivers have to pledge they won't take their hands off the wheel before they can use it. But apparently, that's not a guarantee against stupidity. Now there's been another crash and of course, it's the Autopilot is the culprit. I agree Tesla might want to turn off the Autopilot for a while. Only that would be bad publicity and so on and so forth.

I honestly don't understand what the allure is. So it's not really driverless, you have to even have your hands on the wheel and keep watch at ALL TIMES. So what's the benefit? I don't even understand. How does it benefit me in any way?