Mike Shellman

Why Is America (Texas) Burning Millions of Dollars Per Day Of Natural Gas?

44 minutes ago, wrs said:

Utter and complete nonsense from someone with no clue. In the Permian there isn't the possibility of getting all the gas to market so it's flared while the infrastructure is built.  If there is no flaring, no infrastructure gets built.  So I guess what you want is no production at all, right?

That is exactly what the buffalo hunters said. On the plains there is no possibility of getting all that meat to market so it is left to rot. If no meat is left to rot, people have to make due without buffalo hides. A vile practice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Sanches said:

That is exactly what the buffalo hunters said. On the plains there is no possibility of getting all that meat to market so it is left to rot. If no meat is left to rot, people have to make due without buffalo hides. A vile practice.

Oil isn't buffalo, your comparison isn't apt. Oil is simply a liquid buried beneath the earth, not an animal being killed.  Get a grip please.  All this wailing and gnashing of teeth over the waste but no wailing and gnashing of teeth over the worthless uses that much of the energy is put to.

16 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Here's an article relevant to this thread.  Maddeningly prickly; obviously I do not agree with all of the scattershot / buckshot that the author blasts at using both barrels.

But worth reading. 

Various points in this article to make dang near every commentor in this thread uncomfortable, no matter where you are on the Shale and / or Political spectrum.

Trump Thinks US Oil Is His Strength When It’s His Achilles’ Heel

Headlines abound about the massive surge in US shale oil production. The energy independence-cheering punditocracy hail this as a great victory. This includes President Trump.

And it would be if this surge in production was built on financially stable ground. But it isn’t. The fracking industry continues to bleed massive amounts of cash. As I pointed out in an article earlier this week, when accounting for this inconvenient truth much of the U.S’s return to dominance in the energy space is a lot of hot air.

Nick Cunningham’s article at Oilprice.com tells the tale.  ...

One more reason to switch trucking to natural gas. Cleaner, cheaper, and engines last longer also. 

Americans will pay whatever price they can to fill their vehicles, so the companies need to keep their leases active. 

(edited)

2 hours ago, Michael Sanches said:

My understanding is that they shot the bison to eliminate the Indian's resources. That probably applies more to those shot from trains. Bison or "buffalo" coats were popular back then.

Edited by ronwagn
correction

8 hours ago, wrs said:

Oil isn't buffalo, your comparison isn't apt. Oil is simply a liquid buried beneath the earth, not an animal being killed.  Get a grip please.  All this wailing and gnashing of teeth over the waste but no wailing and gnashing of teeth over the worthless uses that much of the energy is put to.

To paraphrase you:

"Buffalo are not American Indians, your comparison isn't apt. Buffalo are simply animals roaming the prairies, not a person being killed. Get a grip, please. All this wailing and gnashing of teeth over the waste but no wailing and gnashing of teeth over the worthless uses that much of the buffalo are used for." (We have factories to make clothes and houses should be made out of logs, not skin.)

When you see a well flaring, people will visualize rotting buffalo meat on the plains. History repeats its vile practice. Kneel at the altar of the cash cow.

On 6/13/2019 at 7:20 PM, Mike Shellman said:

You should get someone to explain to you, with crayons,  the difference in whining and advocacy. In the case of associated gas flaring from shale oil in the United States, flaring has increased, steadily, the past four to five years; please see the World Bank article you yourself referenced. The US has been hanging in there at around 4th in the entire world for total volumes of gas flared. Imagine that! The greatest industrialized nation in the world is pissing off almost as much natural gas as Nigeria, and Siberia. Now THATS something to cheerlead for. I mean, just think, 6-8 years ago the price of natural gas was $12 per MMBTU in America and now its worth nothing. That's some good planning there! 

As to flaring, nothing, I repeat nothing has improved and nothing will improve. The US shale oil industry is not going to do a damn thing about flaring until it is forced to, till flaring is regulated into the dirt, to the point of shutting those wells in. Why? Because it costs too much money, that's why. Shale basins are being over-drilled, GOR is going thru the roof, and the price of associated gas sucks. It cannot compete with APP Basin natural gas and it sure cannot compete with Qatar and West Australia and East Africa to make LNG, that's another piece of stinky shale oil BS. Associated gas is essentially worth nothing, the shale oil industry could not make any money 1Q19 with prices above $60, now those prices are going down to $40. Again. 

The American shale oil industry has already shot both its feet off with leveraged oversupply, now its going to shoot its left knee off... essentially because it can't keep its credit cards in its purse. It could care less about flaring. Same as fresh water. It could care less.  But you keep those shale oil induced links a commin.' We need to know that somebody out there in the world is not just whining, but actually DOING something to solve the problem. They sure are making me feel better. 

Up here in Alberta it took the government to make it illegal to flare (except for safety reasons). It openned up many opportunities for electrical generation etc, But you are correct - the regulator has to force it.

That said- it is nice to be able to say that the oil sands are cleaner than the Permian. We don't flare.

On 6/13/2019 at 7:20 PM, Mike Shellman said:

You should get someone to explain to you, with crayons,  the difference in whining and advocacy. In the case of associated gas flaring from shale oil in the United States, flaring has increased, steadily, the past four to five years; please see the World Bank article you yourself referenced. The US has been hanging in there at around 4th in the entire world for total volumes of gas flared. Imagine that! The greatest industrialized nation in the world is pissing off almost as much natural gas as Nigeria, and Siberia. Now THATS something to cheerlead for. I mean, just think, 6-8 years ago the price of natural gas was $12 per MMBTU in America and now its worth nothing. That's some good planning there! 

As to flaring, nothing, I repeat nothing has improved and nothing will improve. The US shale oil industry is not going to do a damn thing about flaring until it is forced to, till flaring is regulated into the dirt, to the point of shutting those wells in. Why? Because it costs too much money, that's why. Shale basins are being over-drilled, GOR is going thru the roof, and the price of associated gas sucks. It cannot compete with APP Basin natural gas and it sure cannot compete with Qatar and West Australia and East Africa to make LNG, that's another piece of stinky shale oil BS. Associated gas is essentially worth nothing, the shale oil industry could not make any money 1Q19 with prices above $60, now those prices are going down to $40. Again. 

The American shale oil industry has already shot both its feet off with leveraged oversupply, now its going to shoot its left knee off... essentially because it can't keep its credit cards in its purse. It could care less about flaring. Same as fresh water. It could care less.  But you keep those shale oil induced links a commin.' We need to know that somebody out there in the world is not just whining, but actually DOING something to solve the problem. They sure are making me feel better. 

Mike the, expert has spoken. I am waiting for my shale condensate and ngls to get to the market and into the petchem plant so I can buy the crayons cheaper!!! ;)

Mostly advocates are whiners when they cant get their way, everything is bad, everything is unjust and the bog bad corporations and what nots and who nots are the evil ones.

Yes I reference that article to show how terrible it is to flare. I can understand flaring for a very short time when a new resource play is being explored and a large number of exploratory wells have been drilled and there is a shortage of infrastructure to manage all the hydrocarbon streams being produced. I had used an example in another thread of , well will operators and producers just let the oil flow into the fields and ditches and creeks and arroyos if they dont have the infrastructure to manage it?

No they wont. I am of the opinion and also real life action and implementation of methodologies , procedures and technologies to curb and end flaring asap and to that effect I have posted many times, some of those actions implemented and enforced.

I for one do not allow drillers, contractors, and or operators to flare endlessly when all these options are available.

You are just a denier by saying that ,

" As to flaring, nothing, I repeat nothing has improved and nothing will improve. The US shale oil industry is not going to do a damn thing about flaring until it is forced to, till flaring is regulated into the dirt, to the point of shutting those wells in"

Companies that are ethical, good resource producers and managers, good neighbors and overall understand the value of every stream of hydrocarbons being produced is valuable and not replaceable  in the terms as we know it, are doing, have been doing and will be doing everything they can to end flaring. If the State, and also DOE want to step in and say after X number of days, or development of basic needed infrastructure , flaring must end or you shut in the wells and if you cant then you pay a X$/boe of gas flared as a fine every day till it ends.

Marcellus doesnt have this issue, why? because natgas is the main hydrocarbon stream that the producers and investors are after, so it is not wasted, oil condensate and ngls are an added bonus and they capture every product stream for its value.

From all your "whining" it is apparent you are not doing anything positive to improve anything about flaring and shale, your only agenda is shut it down!!!!

Apparently he can't make money at these prices either and that's why he is whining for a "balanced" $100/bbl oil market.

SOLUTIONS, not denials of tech, whining or useless self serving "advocacy"!!!!!

LNG is also being shipped from TX to Mexico, same process and set up can be used to truck out gas from the Permian as LNG to other parts of TX and demand hubs and or to pipeline and terminal sites instead of flaring it all!!!!

NextEra-Backed Venture Trucks LNG to Northeast

(Bloomberg) -- A venture backed by NextEra Energy Inc. is trucking natural gas from the Marcellus Shale to New England, where pipeline bottlenecks have helped send prices for the fuel soaring in the winter.

Closely held Edge Gathering Virtual Pipelines 2 LLC is using tractor trailers to treat gas, chill it and truck it from northeastern Pennsylvania to Rhode Island, Chief Executive Officer Mark Casaday said in a telephone interview. NextEra Energy Marketing LLC, a subsidiary of the biggest North American utility owner, is a shareholder in the company and the exclusive sales and marketing partner for the fuel.

Gas explorers are looking for new ways to get their supply to market as multibillion-dollar pipeline projects to transport shale gas to consumers in the Northeast stall amid opposition. The Trump administration has sought to speed up approval of gas lines, which have faced legal and regulatory roadblocks amid concern about fossil fuels’ contribution to climate change.

“By next year this time we will probably have increased our production five or 10 times” as more Marcellus producers sign on, Casaday said. “It’s pipeline constraints, but it’s also the connectability of pipelines. A lot of wells are in no man’s land.”

New Fortress Energy LLC, founded by billionaire Wes Edens, is also considering trucking Marcellus LNG north. Casaday said Edge Gathering is in discussions to haul supply from the Permian Basin of West Texas and New Mexico and the Bakken formation in North Dakota and Montana, where gas is a byproduct of oil drilling and is often burned off in a process known as flaring.

Edge’s first Pennsylvania project can produce the equivalent of 1 million cubic feet a day, or two truckloads, according to Casaday. Other Edge backers include LNG equipment maker Galileo Technologies SA and private equity firm Blue Water Energy LLP.