Tom Kirkman

Americans for Carbon Dividends Infographic

I'm at a loss to explain this interactive infographic.   

173098999_AmericansforCarbonDividendsinfographic.thumb.png.3347d29cd6272da45fec2c12b00e0875.png

From here:

https://littlesis.org/maps/4070-americans-for-carbon-dividends?Americans_for_Carbon_Dividends

Hover your mouse over the various arrows to see the interconnections.

Extracted from here:

Big Oil Pushes Corporate-Friendly Carbon Tax in Attempt to Stem Green New Deal Wave

It's a mess of an article, but it is very definitely something skewed way outside of the normal news cycle, so it piqued my interest.  Anyone care to weigh in and clear up the muddled, convoluted article a bit?

Connections.jpeg.a34b24f817a8836e5d4915b265e7b399.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Tom,

That is definitely a convoluted article.

I was not aware that anyone was actually considering the Green New Deal except perhaps AOC and Bernie.

Also, I have a problem with labelling the multinationals who have bowed to green shareholder pressure as the 'fossil fuel industry'. There are many different players within this  industry, small and mid cap operators, national oil companies, service companies, etc.... I am sure everyone would be thrilled to be fined $40/ton simply because the Big Boys want to suck up to the Green lobby.

I am sure that this $40/ton fine would eventually be applied to the drilling contractors and the manufacturing processes required for third party services to remain in business.

As for whichever entity is given the responsibility of collecting this tax returning the money to the people....I was born at night, but it wasn't last night!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Big Oil Pushes Corporate-Friendly Carbon Tax in Attempt to Stem Green New Deal Wave

It's a mess of an article, but it is very definitely something skewed way outside of the normal news cycle, so it piqued my interest.  Anyone care to weigh in and clear up the muddled, convoluted article a bit?

The interactive map perhaps a bit confusing (or unimportant, rather ). The article seemed okay to me, I guess. Although it had about double the word count that it should to match the substance. Yeah, I get it. Big Oil sees the Dem's push (and push and push) for some overzealous climate deal as scary, so why wouldn't they try to come up with something more palatable in hopes of staving off the angry masses (if that's in fact what they are). That part seems logical to me. Why wouldn't they?

I'm not sure the author's conclusions are sound, though. Perception and reality don't always meet, I guess. The media has done a great job promoting the climate agenda. And while there is a climate agenda, to be sure, the extent of those who are gung-ho to sacrifice much to save the planet are likely not as numerous as some in the media would like us to believe. 

"The popularization of the Green New Deal, the disruptive protests of Extinction Rebellion, mass student walkouts in Europe, the growing threat of climate lawsuits, and expanding movements for divestment from fossil fuels all have contributed to a rising sense of urgency for transformative action to curtail the fossil fuel industry and transition rapidly towards a system of renewable energy." 

I'm just not sure that's entirely true. They are trying to change the narrative, not accurately depicting what the current narrative is. Recent elections would suggest I am correct. 

and @Tom Kirkman WHAT'S WITH ALL THE CLIMATE THREADS?? :) 

• Like 1

Thanks Rodent.  The infographic threw me for a loop a bit I guess.

And ok, I'll scale back the climate threads a bit.  I wish the media would do the same, as the media seem to really want to shove climate panic armageddon religion down the throat of the oil & gas industry.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Thanks Rodent.  The infographic threw me for a loop a bit I guess.

And ok, I'll scale back the climate threads a bit.  I wish the media would do the same, as the media seem to really want to shove climate panic armageddon religion down the throat of the oil & gas industry.

I'm just giving you a hard time. Climate-thread to your little heart's content!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rodent said:

I'm just giving you a hard time. Climate-thread to your little heart's content!

Heh heh, ever feel like you are not quite riding along unquestioningly with the crowd on the mainstream bandwagon, but are having some fun off to the right a bit instead?

125310f244b2e51745c7411a511c9eba7a99bb463f0007f639f4290c84715519.png