Douglas Buckland

As if we didn't feel guilty enough...now disposable razors!

As if we didn't feel guilty enough about our lifestyles degrading the environment, now the incredibly reputable Huffington Post lets us know that our use of disposable razors is harming the environment.

Where will it end..... I think I'll buy stock in safety razors now and avoid the rush.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/disposable-razors-environment-094500086.html

• Haha 1

As a kid in the 70s during the oil embargo of '73 there were public awareness adverts telling us turning off a light saves energy for a baby's incubator, and using an electric razor was far more energy efficient than using disposable blades. And that was before the disposable plastic handle things.

My father, and grandfather, bemoaned the emergence of cardboard/blister pack packaging but it did/does two things well. 

1st, better for display for selling.

2nd. A bit harder to shoplift.

I've declined plastic straws for years, but just because prefer drinking straight from the glass. Or if a beer, straight from the bottle. Although in that case I'd prefer draft, I just don't have such an arrangement at home.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

As if we didn't feel guilty enough about our lifestyles degrading the environment, now the incredibly reputable Huffington Post lets us know that our use of disposable razors is harming the environment.

Where will it end..... I think I'll buy stock in safety razors now and avoid the rush.

All this article is doing is discussing the alternatives that would appear to be more environmentally friendly / sustainable as per Johns comment. Its not an announcement  of an ominous 5 year plan like you make it sound😄

Karma may be Huffington Post article bìting into Gillette revenue?

I'll just wait for the next virtue signalling marketing response from Gillette.  Gotta protect those shareholder dividends *and* be socially conscious.

c006f938d67441b6e4097f69344e92a9a7f66f9d182826ebf18db418fd5b0b55.jpg

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, NickW said:

All this article is doing is discussing the alternatives that would appear to be more environmentally friendly / sustainable as per Johns comment. Its not an announcement  of an ominous 5 year plan like you make it sound😄

I think it would be interesting is someone actually listed ALL of the alternatives which have been suggested over the years just to see what sort of impact, assuming that all suggestions were followed, they would have on the daily lifestyle of John and Jane Doe....you know, just to put it in perspective.

But the list would need to be comprehensive and complete, single use plastic bags/containers, disposable diapers, plastic drinking straws, insecticides, pesticides, fertilizers, disposable razors, etc...ad nausem.

For the record, I have used a safety razor for years as they provide, in my opinion, a better shave and I refuse to pay the astronomical price for disposable razors...nothing to do with 'going green'!😂

• Like 1

There is no such thing as "guilty enough", you toxic males. The guiltier the better. In any case, whatever you do, don't stop shaving and descend into that Taliban look that so many seem to like these days. Please. Please.

On a serious note, I'd say anything "disposable" is bad for the environment, so yeah, singling out razors is kind of unfair. 

• Haha 1

Well as someone who sports the "Taliban look" I frankly have not had much choice of going "green".  Have tons of giant ingrown hairs and tons of giant hairs who either bleed like stuck pigs, or do not shave worth a damn.  Forget 5 o'clock shadow.  With a brand new blade and shaving three ways against the grain, 3-->4 hours later I would have 11am o'clock shadow.  And, I would get exactly 2 shaves with a blade before it was too dull to actually get a clean shave which meant I either paid a crack ton of money to shave or gave up shaving.  Now a beard trimmer works great and I love my built in wall vacuum.  Sucks it all up and sucks your face clean as well

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

There is no such thing as "guilty enough", you toxic males. The guiltier the better. In any case, whatever you do, don't stop shaving and descend into that Taliban look that so many seem to like these days. Please. Please.

On a serious note, I'd say anything "disposable" is bad for the environment, so yeah, singling out razors is kind of unfair. 

Nothing like your 'non-serious' commentary to get the day started right!😂

(From a toxic and guilt ridden (although clean shaven 👍🏻) male)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Nothing like your 'non-serious' commentary to get the day started right!😂

(From a toxic and guilt ridden (although clean shaven 👍🏻) male)

I would guess that women use more disposable razors. I use a Norelco electric razor about twice a week. 

Okay, back to Marina for a 'girl's' point of view! 😆

• Like 1

I don't know how often other women use them but I certainly don't use them on a daily basis and they do tend to last for quite a while so my conscience is relatively clear. :D Probably better for the environment than the literally toxic/superexpensive alternatives, I suppose. Or the torture alternative that is bound to turn women into monsters temporarily, which must also be bad for the environment.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Wastral said:

Well as someone who sports the "Taliban look" I frankly have not had much choice of going "green".  Have tons of giant ingrown hairs and tons of giant hairs who either bleed like stuck pigs, or do not shave worth a damn.  Forget 5 o'clock shadow.  With a brand new blade and shaving three ways against the grain, 3-->4 hours later I would have 11am o'clock shadow.  And, I would get exactly 2 shaves with a blade before it was too dull to actually get a clean shave which meant I either paid a crack ton of money to shave or gave up shaving.  Now a beard trimmer works great and I love my built in wall vacuum.  Sucks it all up and sucks your face clean as well

For you it's not a choice, I understand. Genes can be mean that way. But even a beard can be trimmed, right? Maintained. Not let to grow uncontrollably just because it's fashionable, no less. Oh, well, I'm going off topic here, so I'll stop.

1 hour ago, Marina Schwarz said:

For you it's not a choice, I understand. Genes can be mean that way. But even a beard can be trimmed, right? Maintained. Not let to grow uncontrollably just because it's fashionable, no less. Oh, well, I'm going off topic here, so I'll stop.

Go off topic all you want! It's entertaining and instructive!😂

• Haha 1

On 6/5/2019 at 6:17 AM, Douglas Buckland said:

Liberals will feel guilty about this; the rest of us won't notice. 

Honestly, this is for the best: the worse liberals feel about the world, the less likely they are to procreate.