Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AV

How Many EVs Can The Grid Take?

High concentration of EVs can lead to equipment trouble. If everyone get their EVs charged  at the same time, will we stay in the dark while searching for the switchbox to reset the blown fuse. Are we really ready for more EVs? 

The existing power infrastructure in most places is simply not up to the task of massive EV adoption. 

And they would probably have stupid excuse for this unpreparedness. This reminds me on winter service in my country. Every time when snow falls and we have a lot of snow every winter they say the snow caught them completely surprised. 

Well local power company in my country offers a box for turning off the water heater to help manage peak load.  The infrastructure should already be in place. 

I think this is where home battery packs are going to come in soon. The battery packs can charge off peak or slowly all the time and when you plug in your car you can pull from the grid and the battery to maintain quick charging without pounding the grid. 

the grid is already subpar, without EVs complicating things. Great idea, poor execution.

the title to this thread sounds like a bad joke? "How Many EVs does it take to tax the electrical grid"?