Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Douglas Buckland

And yet more things we can do without!

For those who championed the demise of the disposable razor, we can now do away with laundry detergent, shampoo in bottles and those pesky, environmentally unfriendly toothbrushes!

Soon we will all be together like one big happy Swiss Family Robinson and live happily ever after....or until the seas rise due to human induced climate change, our tree house becomes submerged...and we drown.

https://dornob.com/3-sustainable-replacements-for-everyday-household-products/

• Like 1

I want a Sapindus Mukorossi. I'm not giving up my toothbrush but a soap bush sounds just wonderful.

I have already done my part by refusing to use, and pay the extravagant cost of, disposable razors!

I refuse to drive ANYTHING electric. As a matter of fact I am contemplating getting another motorbike with an engine displacement of greater than 1000cc! 

I am a qualified engineer and firmly adhere to the old engineering adage that, "If some is good, more is better!". This is especially true when dealing with explosives.

Another Rule of Thumb drilled (pun intended) into young Drilling Engineer's heads (when considering if backup equipment or tools are really necessary) is, "One is none and two is one!".

I think it is now time in the Battle for the Environment to ensure that I am properly prepared with two of everything, at all times, with anything with the word 'disposable' in front of it; toothbrushes, lighters, Chinese made shop tools, adult diapers, etc...

I will also need two of everything that contains an internal combustion engine; a second car for my wife, a second motorbike for me, an extra chainsaw for Dad, etc...

I'll also change over my illegal whiskey still to run off propane instead of burning wood (which initially was the thinking about the spare chainsaw...) and build a redundant still.

I intend to maximize my carbon footprint as a protest against those who want to drive (pun intended) me back to the Stone Age and force me to live in a cave!

Carry on....I need to get to the hardware store ASAP!

• Haha 2

On 6/6/2019 at 9:48 PM, Douglas Buckland said:

For those who championed the demise of the disposable razor, we can now do away with laundry detergent, shampoo in bottles and those pesky, environmentally unfriendly toothbrushes!

Soon we will all be together like one big happy Swiss Family Robinson and live happily ever after....or until the seas rise due to human induced climate change, our tree house becomes submerged...and we drown. 

https://dornob.com/3-sustainable-replacements-for-everyday-household-products/

*Mounts soapbox*

Personally, I think climate change is real, as evidenced by a long geological record.  Whether humans influence it is up for debate.  The idea that it will be "catastrophic" is laughable.  I won't be changing my behavior to avoid an alleged apocalypse. 

On the other hand, some of their "environmentally friendly" ideas make financial sense.  If I use something frequently, why would I want to keep paying for it?  Better to buy a permanent version and be done with it.  If I must drive a car, why would I want to purchase more fuel?  Better to get the most efficient vehicle that meets my needs.  In the near future, that will be an electric vehicle - and I'll be happy to save money driving one. 

Similarly, some of their ideas are good for health.  Do we need to stop using all products?  No.  Should we be cognizant of how our consumption & waste affect the environment?  Absolutely.  Should we pay attention to what we expose our bodies to?  Without question.  The environmentalist nuts have gone off the rails, but they're investigating important things.  Let's not abandon that knowledge simply because we find them off-putting. 

Finally, so many have been driven into environmental extremism precisely because some of us refuse to show any concern for the environment.  They perceive that we lack empathy, compassion, and a sustainable path forward - and then they panic.  This panic is the source of their loony ideas.  The irony is that "conservatives", Big Business, and entrepreneurs do care about the environment and do have a sustainable path forward.  There's nothing wrong with what most of these people are doing; they just present it poorly. 

I've learned over the years that I need to do two things when discussing with environmentalists:
1)  Acknowledge that their desire to protect the planet is valid - even somewhat noble.  There's nothing wrong with how they feel, and to a certain extent, I feel the same.  We can agree with their motivation even if we disagree with their conclusions. 
2)  Discuss how their concerns are being addressed.  Give them some hope. 

#2 is easy, if you know the technology:
- Automotive fuel efficiency is rapidly increasing. 
- Automotive emissions are down - and will continue to decline as fleets of old vehicles are replaced. 
- Coal power plants no longer release the heavy metals and other toxic compounds that so many studies have shown to be dangerous. 
- Electric vehicles will sweep the market on their financial merits; no government action is required. 
- Landfills will be mined for valuable minerals, with waste plastics recycled into crude oil. 
- New buildings are consuming 75% less energy than the old buildings they replace. 
- Nuclear "waste" can - and will - be recycled into fuel, with the final product containing no more radiation than the minerals we pulled out of the ground. 
- Farmers are moving to sustainable practices: cover crops, organic foods, precisely targeted pesticides, reduced use of fertilizers, etc. 
- The EPA is cleaning up old waste sites
- Dangerous chemicals have long since been banned; those that remain in the environment are slowly degrading
- etc.

We're already saving the planet; we just need to advertise that fact.  The way to end environmental extremism is to show these people that we're on their side and give them some hope.  That's easy - and free!

There will always be die-hard extremists we can't convince, but they don't matter.  What matters is the moderates: young people still forming their opinions, politically unaligned people who aren't quite sure, etc.  These people will listen.  If we respect the motivation of extremists, we'll have better luck convincing the moderates they're wrong. 

• Great Response! 1