Marina Schwarz

Greenpeace Boards BP Platform

Greenpeace activists halt BP's North Sea oil rig

"The activists demanded that one of the world’s biggest energy companies immediately end drilling new wells and invest only in renewable energy or shut its operations and return cash to investors."

It's not even funny any longer.

• Upvote 1

Clowns.  Criminal clowns.

6361c8eb8f321f10ac7da9cf02374cdd028d8afd5b6c7e3b95e1ec89d1a40038.jpg

What surprises me about these sea boardings is the implicit assumptions of the people doing that platform boarding.  I picture this giant rig at the end of a long tow cable, being pulled to sea by a very large tugboat, something of 100 tons bollard pull.  What makes these Greenpeace guys scrambling aboard that rig think that the tug is going to stop? And how to they conclude that the rather burly rig workers do not descend on them and beat them up?  All things considered, that strikes me as rather problematic.  I think I would view boarding that rubber Zodiac, then chasing out after some oil rig out in the ocean, to an inevitably unfriendly reception, a rather risky proposition.  Not very smart.

On 6/10/2019 at 4:37 PM, Jan van Eck said:

What surprises me about these sea boardings is the implicit assumptions of the people doing that platform boarding.  I picture this giant rig at the end of a long tow cable, being pulled to sea by a very large tugboat, something of 100 tons bollard pull.  What makes these Greenpeace guys scrambling aboard that rig think that the tug is going to stop? And how to they conclude that the rather burly rig workers do not descend on them and beat them up?  All things considered, that strikes me as rather problematic.  I think I would view boarding that rubber Zodiac, then chasing out after some oil rig out in the ocean, to an inevitably unfriendly reception, a rather risky proposition.  Not very smart.

When I worked the North Sea rigs, the fire hoses were our go to option. Never had to resort to it as boarding a rig in the North Sea, from sea level, in the weather/sea states common to the North Sea is essentially Darwinism at work.

If you want to see some real ballsy guys at work, watch the anchor handling boats and crews in the North Sea.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1