SP

Switch From Beef to Chicken Could Help the Planet

(edited)

Not a snowballs chance in hell my wife gives up her ribeye steaks. But then I am biased as well own a family ranch and raise beef. Minerals pay much better but we still enjoy raising cows on our property.

Edited by butasha
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Sofia said:

One simple change in diet , replacing beef with poultry,  could go a long way toward curbing climate change, new research shows. 

https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20190610/switch-from-beef-to-chicken-could-help-the-planet?src=RSS_PUBLIC#1

I wish instead of the heart, green up vote, red down vote, and trophy options that there was an eye roll option.

@CMOPcan we make that happen? 

• Great Response! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rolling Eye 1

12 hours ago, butasha said:

Not a snowballs chance in hell my wife gives up her ribeye steaks. But then I am biased as well own a family ranch and raise beef. Minerals pay much better but we still enjoy raising cows on our property.

My personal anecdotal research (can I say that?) is that a no-beef diet causes intrafamily mass hysteria, rioting, and severe clinical depression.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

That's interesting. I remember reading a study that poultry farming is the fastest-growing segment of the meat industry globally... That' can't be good, can it?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

That's interesting. I remember reading a study that poultry farming is the fastest-growing segment of the meat industry globally... That' can't be good, can it?

Image result for kfc witness protection meme

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

(edited)

21 hours ago, butasha said:

Is grass fed beef really a lot better than grain finished? 

My solution is not to eat EXCESS protein. I prefer to eat excess rice, beans, butter, spices, ice cream and other dairy products.  I would never give up meat though!

Edited by ronwagn
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

8 hours ago, Adam Varga said:

There’s a good joke in there somewhere. And speaking of jokes, I personally like this one more. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/08/if-everyone-ate-beans-instead-of-beef/535536/ 

That is an excellent article. There are many food combinations that meet protein (amino acid combination) needs in the human body. Soy tends to increase estrogen production however. Other combinations do not. The classic book, I am aware of on this subject, is Diet for a Small Planet. I would recommend that people consider reducing animal protein and use other protein sources also. It would, I think, improve health and decrease expense worldwide. I find that meat is a great seasoning for soups, stews, casseroles etc. A giant steak should be an exception IMHO, but we do love to stop at The Big Texan for a normal size steak as we travel on Route 66 a lot. I love their gelato too!

BIG TEXAN 72oz STEAK CHALLENGE!! - YouTube

Diet for a Small Planet (Frances Moore Lappé book) cover.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_for_a_Small_Planet

https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/a19539170/soys-negative-effects/

Edited by ronwagn
reference
  • Upvote 1

Yay we have a new rolling eye vote option!! Yay @CMOP!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, ronwagn said:

That is an excellent article. There are many food combinations that meet protein (amino acid combination) needs in the human body. Soy tends to increase estrogen production however. Other combinations do not. The classic book, I am aware of on this subject, is Diet for a Small Planet. I would recommend that people consider reducing animal protein and use other protein sources also. It would, I think, improve health and decrease expense worldwide. I find that meat is a great seasoning for soups, stews, casseroles etc. A giant steak should be an exception IMHO, but we do love to stop at The Big Texan for a normal size steak as we travel on Route 66 a lot. I love their gelato too!

BIG TEXAN 72oz STEAK CHALLENGE!! - YouTube

Diet for a Small Planet (Frances Moore Lappé book) cover.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_for_a_Small_Planet

https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/a19539170/soys-negative-effects/

On 6/12/2019 at 5:47 AM, Adam Varga said:

There’s a good joke in there somewhere. And speaking of jokes, I personally like this one more. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/08/if-everyone-ate-beans-instead-of-beef/535536/ 

I think humanity would replace a fair percentage of the methane emissions. I love chili and Mexican or East Indian cuisine so I am OK with legumes, but not just the vegetarian fare of some Indians, although it is good. Americans should return to great bean soups of all kinds, and vegetable soups including beans of all kinds. I love garbanzo beans in salads, other beans also. Bean dips and chips are a treat. 

On 6/12/2019 at 6:09 AM, Rodent said:

I wish instead of the heart, green up vote, red down vote, and trophy options that there was an eye roll option.

@CMOPcan we make that happen? 

Also how about a middle finger option? LOL ;)

On 6/11/2019 at 5:26 PM, Sofia said:

One simple change in diet , replacing beef with poultry,  could go a long way toward curbing climate change, new research shows. 

https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20190610/switch-from-beef-to-chicken-could-help-the-planet?src=RSS_PUBLIC#1

We could all also just go graze on green grass in the meadows!!!!!

• Haha 1

You have got to be kidding me!

This climate change debate just goes wherever it wants anymore.

I, for one, would rather perish due to some horrible, man-made catastrophic climate event than give up burgers, steaks, beef tacos, etc....

Kind of pointless to be alive if you can't enjoy it!

On 6/12/2019 at 7:26 AM, Sofia said:

Hold my beer.  

UK Labour Party Supports 10-Hr Work Week (With Pay Cuts) to Stop Global Warming

"... The inspiration for this obviously mad work time limit is a publication by Philipp Frey: The Ecological Limits of Work.

Supposedly, a "1 percent decrease in working hours could lead to a 0.8 percent decrease in GHG emissions."

That is not enough to save the planet, but a 75% net reduction reduction in hours worked, varying by country, along with other improvements, allegedly will.  ..."

50 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Hold my beer.  

"... The inspiration for this obviously mad work time limit is a publication by Philipp Frey: The Ecological Limits of Work.

Supposedly, a "1 percent decrease in working hours could lead to a 0.8 percent decrease in GHG emissions."

That is not enough to save the planet, but a 75% net reduction reduction in hours worked, varying by country, along with other improvements, allegedly will.  ..."

Most UK Labour voters would never accept that in a million years. Work 10 hours a week - they would never cope with that imposition. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Hold my beer.  

Excellent idea! Signing off now to take a dip in the pool, in the spirit of saving the planet from utter ruin. Heretofore I shall be available only 10 hours a week. (no cheering)

• Haha 1