jm

Middle East on brink: Oil tankers attacked off Oman

(edited)

50 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

I view it as highly, highly Unlikely that the Iranians are behind this.  Those mines are not exactly "off-the-shelf," nor are they amenable to being improvised by disgruntled irregulars that would have little knowledge of the complex systems to construct and detonate one.  This is not some I.E.D. rigged up form old artillery shells, the type of buried improvised land mine set off by a wire from some nearby house, the sort of thing that plagued the US Infantry on those roads in Iraq.  A limpet mine is built in a munitions factory by people who know what they are doing. 

So, who got their hands on this? And from where?  The Iranian military knows perfectly well that it cannot go into combat with the US military, they would get wiped out.  That Iranian Navy is thoroughly professional, probably more so than the Russian.  You never see the Iranians doing those near-collision runs at US warships the way the Russians do in the Black Sea against US destroyers;  nothing to stop the US from leveling its deck cannons directly at the bridge of any Iranian commander reckless enough to do that and blast that ship superstructure right off the hull.  And the Iranians know it.   So they do not provoke the USA.

If the US wanted to, the Navy aircraft and land-based machines off Bahrain/Qatar could wipe out the entire Iranian air force in one strike.  Don't think the Iranians were not watching when, at the start of the Iraq War, those stealth aircraft went in to the center of Baghdad and blasted the Iraqi  communications buildings into total rubble, right smack through AA flak fire so intense you could walk on it at 10,000 feet.  And those guys were watching as US "smart bombs" would sail down and right through a window or ventilation shaft to blast a command bunker into rubble.  Anybody military seeing that knows that you are blind against US aircraft and helpless against those smart bombs.  

If you have no real defense and you know you are going to get wiped out in less than 15 minutes in the first wave attack, and your enemy can and will do it with impunity no matter how much you shoot at him and your enemy can and will do it without suffering a scratch, would you go out there and start up a shooting war?    No chance.  The Iranians are a very smart people. That military knows better. 

So the idea that the Iranians are out there in rubber rafts sneaking up on foreign shipping right smack off their coast and attaching magnetic mines to those hulls, that idea is a non-starter. 

OK, think this through: if not the Iranians, then who?  And for what aim?  

The Iranians would benefit by making good on their implied threats to effectively close the Persian Gulf to all shipping, which they can do by jacking up insurance rates in London.  And that line of thought would imply Iranian proxies.  Sounds good, but getting less likely.

The Sunnis would benefit by making it look like Shi'ite agents were responsible, in order to provoke the US into blasting the Iranians back into the Stone Age.  Gets rid of your enemies.  

Third Parties might be responsible because they are all crazies and crazy enough to start jihad against the entire planet, including the Norwegians.   I mean, come on, Norway?  Who wants to attack Norway?   There is no percentage in doing that.  Only the crazies are going to go that route. . 

Now here's the kicker:  crazies are crazy.  The crazies don't need a reason.  For that crowd, seeing any ship blasted is good enough, they do it because they are completely nuts, totally crazy.  So another plausible explanation, beyond the convoluted ones we Westerners can fashion in a moment of Western coolness, is that those responsible are these fringe crazies that have munitions, and the Middle East is crawling with crazies.  That much is certain.   

@Jan van Eck Nice read and completely agree, the Proxy war elements we are being fed by the press are all Iran backed ie the Houtis and Hezbullah etc But the most heavily supported proxies are the Sunnis in KSA, UAE, Oman And let’s not forget the Israelites (now sitting comfortably with a good view from the Golan Heights).

If there ever was a CIA “covert” operation in place we are seeing it play out in front of our eyes.

With the US about to enter into world oil autonomous domination the Straights in turmoil may well help them to pry China into a trade deal, but that would be fickle on Trumps part as if my train of thought is correct then it’s a very short sighted view and will only bring temporary results.

But temporary and quick results is what DT needs to get through the Desert $#1T Storm he is in at home and the 2022 elections looming.

The US have historically had an interest in meddling until all out war in the Middle East due its addiction to oil but in these scenarios we see playing out it’s all threats.

Does DT, Bolton and Co really have that much faith in the US Tight Oil industry?

You said “Norway, who wants to attack Norway” kind of sums it up for the argument if Iran is behind this. 

IMHO

Edited by James Regan
  • Like 2

On 6/13/2019 at 11:12 AM, Douglas Buckland said:

Are you insinuating that tankers are being 'false flag' targeted to get the price of oil up? A bit of a stretch don't you think? Do you have any supporting evidence?

Just as likely this is an Israeli or KSA black ops to try and draw the US into attacking Iran. 

FWIW I don't think the Iranian govt is mad enough to do this but there is a possibility it could be down to some rogue elements within the regime. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, ceo_energemsier said:

No one wants to start a war against Iran, the economical sanctions have brought Iran down to their knees financially. They are carrying out a proxy war, with lots of room for deniability. These are not "false flag" conspiracy theories and attacks.

These are small reminders every now and then from Iran and their proxy actors of how things could get bad. Wait and find out what the insurance companies find out, just like they did in the May attacks.

I suspect KSA and Israel would very much like the USA to start bombing Iran for a variety of reasons. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

I view it as highly, highly Unlikely that the Iranians are behind this.  Those mines are not exactly "off-the-shelf," nor are they amenable to being improvised by disgruntled irregulars that would have little knowledge of the complex systems to construct and detonate one.  This is not some I.E.D. rigged up form old artillery shells, the type of buried improvised land mine set off by a wire from some nearby house, the sort of thing that plagued the US Infantry on those roads in Iraq.  A limpet mine is built in a munitions factory by people who know what they are doing. 

So, who got their hands on this? And from where?  ....

< snip long but excellent comment >

Along similar lines, here's the last 3 paragraphs of this article:

False Flag intro to World War 3 tanker attacks

"... In the modern battlefield the most potent weapon is information above all, it was information that won or lost all wars.

Obviously, in the minds of the brainwashed masses, there is no such a thing as a false flag so Pompeo can pass the red face test when he is testifying in front of Congress.  In the minds of the many – who could it be except the evil Iran, who dare attack a Japanese ship during a Japanese domestic event.  How dare they?  We’ll show them.  More at 11.

This is the boring narrative that the masses need to bite.  The Elite aren’t stupid.  They need to sell wars first.  They learned during Vietnam that manufacturing consent (Chomsky) is necessary as a prerequisite to any large scale military intervention.  That’s because while the Elite are mostly a bunch of Satanists, most of the people in USA are actually really good folks.  They will help you move a couch if needed.  One day at Starbucks someone paid for several cars behind for no reason.  Americans are good people!  They don’t like war really, especially now that CBD is so widespread and everyone is so mellow.  So it needs to be sold to them via TV, press releases, internet articles, protests, and other actions before any step is taken."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone actually think that the US wants another war? Come on guys, this is tin hat conspiracy thinking!

After the WMD fiasco which many felt drove the US and coalition into the Second Gulf War, plus the fact that the US is still engaged in Afghanistan and Iraq to some extent, and the recent venture into Syria, going to war in Iraq is a non-starter!

Congress will obstruct ANY plans to go to war, especially if it is suggested by the President.

Lastly, it is coming up to the election season....absolutely NO candidate will say they support another war!

If these tanker attacks are a false flag, then the player is NOT the US. There is every possibility that it is Iran trying to show that if they wanted, they could close the Straits. And, as Tom brings up, Iran DOES have access to these non-off-the-shelf weapons.

There is absolutely no appetite in the US for yet another war!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

That should have read, '...in IRAN is a non-starter'.

(edited)

8 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Along similar lines, here's the last 3 paragraphs of this article:

False Flag intro to World War 3 tanker attacks

"... In the modern battlefield the most potent weapon is information above all, it was information that won or lost all wars.

Obviously, in the minds of the brainwashed masses, there is no such a thing as a false flag so Pompeo can pass the red face test when he is testifying in front of Congress.  In the minds of the many – who could it be except the evil Iran, who dare attack a Japanese ship during a Japanese domestic event.  How dare they?  We’ll show them.  More at 11.

This is the boring narrative that the masses need to bite.  The Elite aren’t stupid.  They need to sell wars first.  They learned during Vietnam that manufacturing consent (Chomsky) is necessary as a prerequisite to any large scale military intervention.  That’s because while the Elite are mostly a bunch of Satanists, most of the people in USA are actually really good folks.  They will help you move a couch if needed.  One day at Starbucks someone paid for several cars behind for no reason.  Americans are good people!  They don’t like war really, especially now that CBD is so widespread and everyone is so mellow.  So it needs to be sold to them via TV, press releases, internet articles, protests, and other actions before any step is taken."

I read that our military Joint Command accused Iran of the mine attacks. That could be a "military industrial complex" motivated move. May not have anything to do with President Trump. The generals and admirals make lots of money after they retire by working for defense contractors, according to some reports.

https://www.krqe.com/news/latest-news/tankers-targeted-near-strait-of-hormuz-amid-iran-us-tensions/

Edited by ronwagn

9 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

How naive.   Everyone has naval mines.  Everyone.  They are absurdly easy to make.  "complex"...  let me guess, you think an oil change is "complex".   Iran has ~80Million people who are all educated.  They aren't STUPID.  Stop treating them as stupid.  There is nothing new about naval mines.  Iran has thousands of them.  Iraq used to have thousands of them.  S. Arabia has thousands of naval mines.  Hell, even YEMEN has sea naval mines!!!  Dirt poor YEMEN!!!

As for who is responsible? Fact; Iran grabbed the limpeted mine says it was NOT exploded so either it was theirs and they did not want someone to see "MADE IN IRAN" or they wanted to see who did do it and will PROUDLY SHOW it to the world for WHO is responsible....  It is one or the other.  Or IRAN screwed up dumping into the waters and was pulling it up to reset it. 

Iran wants high oil prices as they hope the EU/China/Japan/S. Korea, etc who will all push against the USA sanctions.  As for others who want higher oil prices?  Everyone in the Persian/Arabian Gulf.  Almost all of whom have naval mines.  Also, those on the Arabian peninsula would love the USA to knock IRAN down.  So goes international politics.  2nd or tertiary powers always looking to pull larger powers into doing their bidding. 

The only country I cannot see who wants war in the middle east IS the USA. 

• Like 1

(edited)

Dbl post... Delete

Edited by Wastral
Double post for some reason.

Am I not seeing something but why would the Iranian navy be filmed “removing” a mine?

Who filmed it and surely with the technology in the region the wake pattern of this vessel could have been tracked from port to port, DONT tell me that US spy satellites are not monitoring every inch of the Straights.

If this was military US or Partners filming that boat (Iranian) it would be an Ex-boat.

Filmed removing the mine it doesn’t make sense??

https://youtu.be/7Gz08OQUnms

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, James Regan said:

Filmed removing the mine it doesn’t make sense??

https://youtu.be/7Gz08OQUnms

What idiots are claiming this is removing a mine?  They can't be serious.  Where is the crane?  A naval mine isn't a blow up rubber ducky pool float...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wastral said:

How naive.   Everyone has naval mines.  Everyone.  They are absurdly easy to make.  "complex"...  let me guess, you think an oil change is "complex".   Iran has ~80Million people who are all educated.  They aren't STUPID.  Stop treating them as stupid.  There is nothing new about naval mines.  Iran has thousands of them.  Iraq used to have thousands of them.  S. Arabia has thousands of naval mines.  Hell, even YEMEN has sea naval mines!!!  Dirt poor YEMEN!!!

As for who is responsible? Fact; Iran grabbed the limpeted mine says it was NOT exploded so either it was theirs and they did not want someone to see "MADE IN IRAN" or they wanted to see who did do it and will PROUDLY SHOW it to the world for WHO is responsible....  It is one or the other.  Or IRAN screwed up dumping into the waters and was pulling it up to reset it. 

Iran wants high oil prices as they hope the EU/China/Japan/S. Korea, etc who will all push against the USA sanctions.  As for others who want higher oil prices?  Everyone in the Persian/Arabian Gulf.  Almost all of whom have naval mines.  Also, those on the Arabian peninsula would love the USA to knock IRAN down.  So goes international politics.  2nd or tertiary powers always looking to pull larger powers into doing their bidding. 

At this point it’s happy to throw rocks from the other side of the wall, this whole situation heavily involves the USA as a proxy, they are as responsible as Iran. 

Perhaps the US won’t send any ordinance but you can bet your bottom dollar that anything launched by the Sunnis will have Made in USA written on it (or rubbed out)

9488FD3F-F66F-4654-BD06-73123D295BF4.jpeg

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, James Regan said:

At this point it’s happy to throw rocks from the other side of the wall, this whole situation heavily involves the USA as a proxy, they are as responsible as Iran. 

Perhaps the US won’t send any ordinance but you can bet your bottom dollar that anything launched by the Sunnis will have Made in USA written on it (or rubbed out)

9488FD3F-F66F-4654-BD06-73123D295BF4.jpeg

Actually, in this one instance it is far more likely to have been a 2nd hand Russian or Chinese origins irregardless of which side dumped it into the waters(even if it was the CIA).  Pretty sure the USA has not sold mines, be it sea or land, to anyone in many decades. 

4 minutes ago, Wastral said:

What idiots are claiming this is removing a mine?  They can't be serious.  Where is the crane?  A naval mine isn't a blow up rubber ducky pool float...

Not very big don’t think a crane is needed normally placed by divers while in port, using a crane may alert the crew that enemy is close.

1A9DC59E-9345-4FE7-ABE0-D4BD7CF86AC8.jpeg

This CENTCOM statement offer an interesting timeline on the events...

U.S. CENTCOM Statement on June 13 Limpet Mine Attack in the Gulf of Oman

Story Number: NNS190613-20Release Date: 6/13/2019 10:20:00 PM

By Capt. Bill Urban, U.S. Central Command Public Affair

TAMPA (NNS) -- U.S. Naval Forces in the region received two separate distress calls at 6:12 a.m. local time from the motor tanker (M/T) Altair and a second one at 7a.m. local time from the M/T Kokuka Courageous.

Both vessels were in international waters in the Gulf of Oman approximately 10 nautical miles apart at the time of the distress calls. USS Bainbridge was approximately 40 nautical miles away from the M/T Altair at the time of the attack, and immediately began closing the distance.

At 8:09 a.m. local time a U.S. aircraft observed an IRGC Hendijan class patrol boat and multiple IRGC fast attack craft/fast inshore attack craft (FAC/FIAC) in the vicinity of the M/T Altair.

At 9:12 a.m. local time a U.S. aircraft observes the FAC/FIAC pull a raft from the M/T Altair from the water.

At 9:26 a.m. local time the Iranians requested that the motor vessel Hyundai Dubai, which had rescued the sailors from the M/T Altair, to turn the crew over to the Iranian FIACs. The motor vessel Hyundai Dubai complied with the request and transferred the crew of the M/T Altair to the Iranian FIACs.

At 11:05 a.m. local time USS Bainbridge approaches the Dutch tug Coastal Ace, which had rescued the crew of twenty-one sailors from the M/T Kokuka Courageous who had abandoned their ship after discovering a probable unexploded limpet mine on their hull following an initial explosion.

While the Hendijan patrol boat appeared to attempt to get to the tug Coastal Ace before USS Bainbridge, the mariners were rescued by USS Bainbridge at the request of the master of the M/T Kokuka Courageous. The rescued sailors are currently aboard USS Bainbridge.

At 4:10 p.m. local time an IRGC Gashti Class patrol boat approached the M/T Kokuka Courageous and was observed and recorded removing the unexploded limpet mine from the M/T Kokuka Courageous

It seems from this report that the crew from the Kokuka Courageous " abandoned their ship after discovering a probable unexploded limpet mine on their hull following an initial explosion."

After the first explosion hit the Kokuka the ship sent a distress call and the first vessel to come at the rescue was the "Coastal Ace" a dutch tug. The tug positioned itself to inspect the damage to the tanker.

"The Dutch vessel reported to the Master an unusual object on the Starboard side, mid-ship, of the KOKUKA. The crew looked over the side and noticed an object they believed to be an explosive. Due to the ship carrying methanol and already suffering one explosion, the Master ordered the crew to abandon ship," according to an intelligence briefing quoted by CBSnews.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tanker-attack-iran-military-tried-pick-up-ships-crews-us-intelligence-2019-06-14/

image.png.008c435a483cd1e9ee0114825734bc0d.png

The Dutch vessel took the sailors from the Kokuka aboard and moved to a safe distance. The crew of an Iranian military vessel then asked the Dutch ship for permission to board, "so they could transfer personnel and render assistance to the crew. The Master of the KOKUKA spoke to the owner of his vessel and was instructed not to go aboard the Iranian vessel so he declined aid and thanked them."

Then the crew of the Kokuka was transfered from the Coastal Ace du the US navy ship USS Bainbridge.

Some hours later, at 4:10 p.m. local time an IRGC Gashti Class patrol boat approached the M/T Kokuka Courageous and was observed and recorded removing the unexploded limpet mine from the M/T Kokuka Courageous

After the removal of the suspected limpet mine, the crew was allowed to return on the Kokuka, the ship being towed towards Khor Fakkan, UAE, with its crew back on board.

http://www.seatrade-maritime.com/news/middle-east-africa/kokuka-courageous-under-tow-to-uae-following-gulf-of-oman-attack.html

Some US officials may present the footage of  the Iranian ship removing the suspected mine from the Kokuka  as a proof of the involvement of the Iranians in the attacks.

But we can also consider that this ship was just removing the suspected mine to secure the ship and allow the safe return of the crew onboard.

• Upvote 2

(edited)

43 minutes ago, Guillaume Albasini said:

It seems from this report that the crew from the Kokuka Courageous " abandoned their ship after discovering a probable unexploded limpet mine on their hull following an initial explosion."

After the first explosion hit the Kokuka the ship sent a distress call and the first vessel to come at the rescue was the "Coastal Ace" a dutch tug. The tug positioned itself to inspect the damage to the tanker.

"The Dutch vessel reported to the Master an unusual object on the Starboard side, mid-ship, of the KOKUKA. The crew looked over the side and noticed an object they believed to be an explosive. Due to the ship carrying methanol and already suffering one explosion, the Master ordered the crew to abandon ship," according to an intelligence briefing quoted by CBSnews.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tanker-attack-iran-military-tried-pick-up-ships-crews-us-intelligence-2019-06-14/

The Dutch vessel took the sailors from the Kokuka aboard and moved to a safe distance. The crew of an Iranian military vessel then asked the Dutch ship for permission to board, "so they could transfer personnel and render assistance to the crew. The Master of the KOKUKA spoke to the owner of his vessel and was instructed not to go aboard the Iranian vessel so he declined aid and thanked them."

Then the crew of the Kokuka was transfered from the Coastal Ace du the US navy ship USS Bainbridge.

Some hours later, at 4:10 p.m. local time an IRGC Gashti Class patrol boat approached the M/T Kokuka Courageous and was observed and recorded removing the unexploded limpet mine from the M/T Kokuka Courageous

After the removal of the suspected limpet mine, the crew was allowed to return on the Kokuka, the ship being towed towards Khor Fakkan, UAE, with its crew back on board.

http://www.seatrade-maritime.com/news/middle-east-africa/kokuka-courageous-under-tow-to-uae-following-gulf-of-oman-attack.html

Some US officials may present the footage of  the Iranian ship removing the suspected mine from the Kokuka  as a proof of the involvement of the Iranians in the attacks.

But we can also consider that this ship was just removing the suspected mine to secure the ship and allow the safe return of the crew onboard.

Yes, under the guise of "rendering assistance" the Iranians were removing evidence of their handiwork/involvement, so eager to assist.

The Iranians created and caused massive havoc in those waters

https://www.apnews.com/ceb6e7a86bf14a9a8d8ecf81c9dcc7ef

Edited by ceo_energemsier

44 minutes ago, Guillaume Albasini said:

I wouldnt put it past the Iranians to try to disrupt oil exports and shipping in the Red Sea as well.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/editorials/iranian-naval-capabilities-in-the-red-sea

https://warontherocks.com/2014/10/an-act-of-war-the-law-of-naval-mining/

5 hours ago, Wastral said:

How do you 'reset' a "limpeted" mine? Why would you 'dump' a limpet mine in the water? I think that you are confusing your mines.

1 hour ago, Guillaume Albasini said:

Why would you attach a limpit mine above  the water level where;

It would be difficult for divers to attach it

The damage would be seriously reduced

It would be easy to detect

This does not make sense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Why would you attach a limpit mine above  the water level where;

It would be difficult for divers to attach it

The damage would be seriously reduced

It would be easy to detect

This does not make sense.

It would make sense if the mine was attached from a nearby ship and not by divers

and if they wanted to cause limited damage and avoid sinking the ship.

A terrorist group would have tried to cause maximum damage and sink the ship but here the goal was different.

40 minutes ago, Guillaume Albasini said:

It would make sense if the mine was attached from a nearby ship and not by divers

and if they wanted to cause limited damage and avoid sinking the ship.

A terrorist group would have tried to cause maximum damage and sink the ship but here the goal was different.

By 'nearby ship' you would mean a vessel directly alongside to place a mine that far above sea level. This would have been way too obvious and would have raised an alarm.

Limpet mines are submerged to utilize water pressure to tamp and direct the blast.

Finally, regardless of who placed the charges, they could not know the extent of the damage these devices would have initially caused as they were not applied in the manner they were designed for. Also, unless they knew the layout of the ship exactly and the damage control procedures, equipment and training, they could not guarantee that the ship would not sink due to either the initial explosions or the follow on damage or fire.

At this stage we still don't know what really caused the explosions. There are conflicting reports : mines, torpedos, "flying objects"...

It has yet to be definitively determined that the affected vessels were hit by a mine, despite the US military's findings.

Yutaka Katada, the CEO of the Japanese shipping company Kokuka Sangyo, said sailors aboard the Kokuka Courageous saw "flying objects" before the explosion. He rejected reports of a mine attack as "false."

The preliminary theory for the attack on the other tanker, the Front Altair, was that it was hit by a torpedo. The insurer for this ship suggested that the vessel might have been hit by an anti-ship missile.

https://www.businessinsider.com/oddly-placed-mine-offers-insight-into-motive-of-tanker-attackers-2019-6?r=US&amp;IR=T

(edited)

After the latest attacks Lloyd’s of London advanced its quarterly Joint War Committee (JWC) meeting to discuss the current situation in the SOH. The risk areas around the region have obviously been expanded and premiums would rise accordingly. No numbers provided ie percentages of premium.

https://www.france24.com/en/20190517-lloyds-raises-gulf-insurance-risks-after-ship-attacks-0

After doing some digging it appears to be quite cheap, in short to cover a typical VLCC and it’s product the cost would be added to the price of oil on the vessel in question.

The price of the premium if carrying crude oil would raise by +/- $2Bbl, this of course would be directly passed on to the market, so we should see an immediate minimum $2 raise when the market opens?

https://www.strausscenter.org/hormuz/insurance-market.html

Edited by James Regan

On 6/15/2019 at 12:01 PM, Douglas Buckland said:

was "Made in Iran" inscribed in Farsi, Hebrew, Arabic or English? ;)

• Haha 2