Here. Sounds like good news for everyone. Less need to frack or import from Russia. :D

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Here. Sounds like good news for everyone. Less need to frack or import from Russia. :D

1 year for 10% of the population...🙄

• Like 1

Well, it's SOMETHING. We need more positivity in our lives, I'm sure. :)

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

positive-vibes-send-to-you-30002523.png

91c427f301af88c1e02df976cd7ab13e504bb4e98efa687a79f44180b96161db.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Reserves in gas/oil discoveries always seem to be expand after they are discovered, as the geologists get to know more about what's down there.. Maybe its not huge but its not bad. The real problem is that the greens have terrified everyone so much over the supposed dangers of fracking, that even ordinary gas developments of the kind carried out onshore for decades with no problems at all are considered suspect, or even banned as has happened over large areas of Australia. 

• Upvote 3

(edited)

10 hours ago, markslawson said:

Reserves in gas/oil discoveries always seem to be expand after they are discovered, as the geologists get to know more about what's down there.. Maybe its not huge but its not bad. The real problem is that the greens have terrified everyone so much over the supposed dangers of fracking, that even ordinary gas developments of the kind carried out onshore for decades with no problems at all are considered suspect, or even banned as has happened over large areas of Australia. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/groningen-earthquake-today-netherlands-gas-extraction-fracking-a8924846.html

https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/ssa/bssa/article-abstract/106/6/2917/324947

All depends on your perspective I guess. 

Edited by Rasmus Jorgensen
  • Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 12:12 PM, Wastral said:

1 year for 10% of the population...🙄

Or 1% for 10 years.  Or 0.5% for 20 years.  Small percentages matter.  If you figured out how to make an aircraft 0.5% more efficient, you'd be a millionaire.  If you increased a profit margin by 0.5%, you'd get a promotion. 

I believe the plan is for hydrogen to replace natural gas in the future (H2 can use much of the same infrastructure), so let's assume UK NG consumption will begin to decline in 20 years.  That means 20 years of production matters.  Let's assume this field satisfies 0.5% of consumption for 20 years and put that into perspective:
1)  How much exploration is left to do in the UK?  If this is a tiny fraction of available land/sea, then they could end up finding many 0.5% fields. 
2)  How does this compare to past UK discoveries?  If the discoveries are getting larger and they've only begun to explore, then this bodes well for future discoveries. 
3)  How much money will this save the UK?  At $6/MMbtu, that's a billion dollars worth of gas.  Every billion counts. 
4)  How does this affect imports?  The UK imports approximately half its gas, so you've reduced imports by 1%.  That's 1% they don't have to worry about any more. 

Success is attained through a thousand small victories; these small victories are to be celebrated. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

Okay, I take your point.. they've found that if they extract too much gas from a certain area then you may get tremors. A limit and checks are required. But I do know there are some areas where gas has been extracted for decades without these tremors being noticed. This means that care is required as with all technology, and does not amount to grounds for banning gas exploitation outright. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/20/2019 at 3:46 AM, markslawson said:

the supposed dangers of fracking

These, alas, don't seem to be supposed. The USGS published a study a few years ago establishing a causal link between fracking wastewater reservoirs and seismic activity. If I remember correctly, they concluded it's not the fracking process itself (though it does sound pretty seismically impressive :)) but the waste disposal that is dangerous.

47 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

These, alas, don't seem to be supposed. The USGS published a study a few years ago establishing a causal link between fracking wastewater reservoirs and seismic activity. If I remember correctly, they concluded it's not the fracking process itself (though it does sound pretty seismically impressive :)) but the waste disposal that is dangerous.

There should be no deep injection wells for produced, fraced or flowback water and or any other waste water disposal, all that water needs to treated, recycled and reused as many times as possible. The technologies exist and have been in place for a long time and these techs are evolving everyday. That right day defeats the fear mongering of the do nothing, no oil no gas, no hydraulic fracturing crowds.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Alas, seismic activity does not matter as it happens everywhere around the world 24/7/365.  Magnitude matters.  Same standard applies for geothermal. In any rational world. But, alas fear mongering rules this world and always has.  🐑

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

These, alas, don't seem to be supposed. The USGS published a study a few years ago establishing a causal link between fracking wastewater reservoirs and seismic activity.

Without disagreeing with the study the dangers have to be taken in context. Most of America has been subject o fracking without any apparent damage - or at least damage that is difficult to notice or even detect. The study may well have found a statistical link - but whether the link was significant is another matter.. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2019 at 11:55 PM, Marina Schwarz said:

Then frack throughout Britain and Europe and quit burning coal and using diesel. 

On 6/18/2019 at 3:22 AM, Marina Schwarz said:

Well, is big for European standards, that for sure it has around 3.51 Million tons of methane (yes i did the math)

But for example the Dead Cow formation has 23 Billion tons (yes, with a B) and the Bazenhov Central shale formation in Siberia has 35 Billion tons

Anyway a combined cycle gas turbine like the SGT5-9000HL with 870MW consumes in a year 745,000 tons of natural gas, so... yeah