Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TB

Empty Promises: Southeast Asian Nations, Among Worst Ocean Polluters, Aim To Curb Plastic Debris

A summit for leaders of the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) being hosted by Thailand this weekend is expected to adopt the Bangkok Declaration on Combating Marine Debris in ASEAN Region. Thailand, the current chair of the group, has lauded the declaration as a “big step” for the region, whose coasts have seen whales and sea turtles wash up dead in recent years with large amounts of plastic rubbish in their stomachs. ASEAN members Indonesia, the Philippines, Vietnam and Thailand are among the five countries throwing the most plastic waste into oceans, according to a 2015 report co-authored by environmental campaigner Ocean Conservancy. China is the worst offender.

Yep, empty promises - from summit to summit

I doubt. From Asia and Africa comes 90% of ocean pollution ...

There are not alternatives to lungs, there are alternatives to fight against pollution.

7 minutes ago, francoba said:

Exactly. In 2018, Asia was home to all of the world's 30 most polluted cities: 22 in India, five in China, two in Pakistan, and one in Bangladesh.... 

And I wondering why humans always wait for the last minute to search solutions... Scientists are warning about it for so many years. But, for bots it's a fiction! Lack of water and pollution of remaining waters...

17 minutes ago, francoba said:

9 minutes ago, ThunderBlade said:

Exactly. In 2018, Asia was home to all of the world's 30 most polluted cities: 22 in India, five in China, two in Pakistan, and one in Bangladesh.... 

👍  90% of all ocean plastic pollution comes from 10 rivers. Eight of them are in Asia: the Yangtze; Indus; Yellow; Hai He; Ganges; Pearl; Amur; Mekong; and two in Africa – the Nile and the Niger.