TB

Fire, Blast At Philadelphia Refinery Starts In Butane Vat

A fire in a vat of butane at the largest oil refinery on the U.S. East Coast turned the early morning Philadelphia sky a bright orange and yellow and awakened startled residents with explosions that shook homes Friday. The fire broke out at the Philadelphia Energy Solutions Refining Complex around 4 a.m., spokeswoman Cherice Corley said. By 7 a.m., the fire was contained but not under control, said Craig Murphy, the city’s deputy fire commissioner. Nearby residents were asked to shelter in place. There were no reports of injuries, although one employee was checked out after complaining of chest pains. Philadelphia Energy Solutions says the 150-year-old oil refining complex produces 335,000 barrels of crude oil daily. It was the second blaze at the refinery this month, following a June 10 fire in which no injuries were reported. The cause of Friday’s fire was unclear.

So,  gas prices going up...

3 minutes ago, damirUSBiH said:

No injuries reported 

Hope everyone is okay

The largest refinery on the East Coast. Sure gas prices will go up after this..

1 hour ago, 50 shades of black said:

Pictures from Philadelphia looks like Chernobyl 1986.

image.png.c9994a945ea3dad8fb10add45c07d4f0.png

Why with all the red tint in this image tho man?  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Keith boyd said:

Why with all the red tint in this image tho man?  

Take a look.  The actual explosion was captured by NBC News cameras, trained on the smaller fire, when it all blew:

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Massive-Fire-Reports-of-Explosions-at-South-Philadelphia-Refinery-Philadelphia-Energy-Solutions-I-76-Closed-511615281.html

This is roughly where the old steamship SS United States is docked.  That used to be the fastest ship ever to cross the Atlantic. Pride of US engineering prowess.  I think it was built right there in the Philadelphia Shipyard. 

You have to assume with a blast this large it will take a few months to repair the damage.  I predict gasoline will come into the area from the refinery at Come-by-Chance, Newfoundland. 

6 hours ago, ThunderBlade said:

A fire in a vat of butane at the largest oil refinery on the U.S. East Coast turned the early morning Philadelphia sky a bright orange and yellow and awakened startled residents with explosions that shook homes Friday. The fire broke out at the Philadelphia Energy Solutions Refining Complex around 4 a.m., spokeswoman Cherice Corley said. By 7 a.m., the fire was contained but not under control, said Craig Murphy, the city’s deputy fire commissioner. Nearby residents were asked to shelter in place. There were no reports of injuries, although one employee was checked out after complaining of chest pains. Philadelphia Energy Solutions says the 150-year-old oil refining complex produces 335,000 barrels of crude oil daily. It was the second blaze at the refinery this month, following a June 10 fire in which no injuries were reported. The cause of Friday’s fire was unclear.

150 years old and two fires in a month.  I wouldn't work there; Out of control processes in worn out equipment.

21 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

150 years old and two fires in a month.  I wouldn't work there; Out of control processes in worn out equipment.

The refinery isnt 150 yr old as it existed or exists now or what is left of it now.

22 minutes ago, ceo_energemsier said:

The refinery isnt 150 yr old as it existed or exists now or what is left of it now.

Of course, they have to replace parts every time it blows up.  :)

It probably is mismatched collection of parts from various eras by now - which would be harder to control than a completely new system.

10 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

Of course, they have to replace parts every time it blows up.  :)

It probably is mismatched collection of parts from various eras by now - which would be harder to control than a completely new system.

https://pes-companies.com/refining-complex/history/

https://pes-companies.com/refining-complex/refining-process/

https://pes-companies.com/newsroom/image-gallery/

4 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

What? Do you actually believe that the equipment has not been updated in 150 years!

The article should have said the the refinery has been on this site for 150 years.

On 6/21/2019 at 8:30 PM, Douglas Buckland said:

What? Do you actually believe that the equipment has not been updated in 150 years!

Of course not; but I still don't think it works as well as it should because it is a collection is mismatched parts of different ages.

Oh look, they think it's crap too.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-refinery-blast-philadelphia-exclusive/exclusive-philadelphia-energy-solutions-seeks-to-permanently-shut-oil-refinery-sources-idUSKCN1TR09E

Nowhere, in any of the links posted, did I find that this refinery was running on outdated or archaic equipment.

Maintenance may have been an issue, but show me where either the process, or the equipment were outdated and a hazard.