SP

The U.S. Got More Electricity From Renewables Than Coal For The First Time

Renewable energy production surpassed coal-fired generation for the first time in the U.S., according to the latest figures from the U.S. EIA. Sources like wind and solar energy provided 23 percent of America’s electricity in April, compared to 20 percent from coal. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/renewable-energy-electricity-surpasses-coal-in-us-for-the-first-time/ 

Can somebody tell me why the issue of 'silting up' behind dams for hydro-electric power is never mentioned anymore?

Has a 'fix' been discovered?

On 6/28/2019 at 2:52 AM, Douglas Buckland said:

Can somebody tell me why the issue of 'silting up' behind dams for hydro-electric power is never mentioned anymore?

Has a 'fix' been discovered?

Dredging. 

Seriously?

What are you going to do with the dredged silt?

6 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

https://www.scientificbulletin.upb.ro/rev_docs_arhiva/full3f0_572892.pdf

so I'm assuming long term hydroelectric projects are not free and are only 'renewable' with significant human intervention.

Well yes - I am not aware that hydroelectric dams, or indeed wind turbines or solar panels self replicate and maintain themselves - this does require human intervention. 

The 'renewable' bit comes from the premise that the fuel source is renewable not finite. 

Perhaps you are correct. The difference between solar, wind and hydro is that your energy source with hydro causes it's own demise. Without human intervention the fuel source would defeat itself by carrying silt to the reservoir. Theoretically solar and wind do not have this issue. You are not spending money to ensure the fuel source.

As you say, the equipment and machinery required to turn any renewable energy source into electricity will need to be serviced and maintained.