Groundbreaking gas-to-gasoline plant

Turkmenistan inaugurated on Friday what is billed as the world's first gas-to-gasoline plant, set to turn some of the country's vast gas supply into around 15,500 b/d of motor fuel, primarily for the domestic market.

The plant outside the capital Ashgabat was built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries and Turkish company Ronesans, and uses technology from Danish catalysis company Haldor Topsoe.

The latter, which participated in Qatar's Oryx gas-to-liquids project, hopes to see the technology in Turkmenistan adopted elsewhere. Previous gas-to-liquids projects around the world have mostly been oriented to diesel production.

The gasoline "complies with the highest environmental standards, contains no sulfur and very little unwanted byproducts," Haldor Topsoe said in a statement.

The plant is expected to use 1.8 billion cubic meters/year of gas and produce 92 octane gasoline, without additional processing. Turkmen official media reports previously put the price tag at $1.7 billion.

A number of gas-to-liquids projects have been mooted in Central Asia, including in Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan.

Turkmenistan is thought to hold the world's fourth-largest gas reserves and is a big supplier by pipeline to China. But it has struggled to diversify its customer base for gas, with some quantities periodically going to Iran and Russia.

Periodic fuel shortages remain common across much of ex-Soviet Central Asia, although Turkmenistan exports some liquid fuel from its two refineries, including to southern neighbor Afghanistan.

Haldor Topsoe said the startup of the Turkmen plant, with a ribbon cutting ceremony involving President Gurbanguly Berdimukhamedov, had proceeded to plan.

"During the coming months, the performance test run is expected to be completed. At full capacity the plant will produce 15,500 b/d of gasoline," it said.

Gasoline should account for 85% of the product stream, the rest being LPG, it added.

The project "sets a new world standard for monetizing gas resources in a very effective way," CEO Bjerne Clausen said.

• Upvote 2

This is great stuff! And the output is 92 octane, which is the equivalent to Western "premium" grade.  Now the Turkmens can import BMWs and Mercedes' machines and have the proper fuel to run them!  No more cheap Russian gas at 71 octane.....

Notice how the catalyst technology comes from Denmark.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

This is great stuff! And the output is 92 octane, which is the equivalent to Western "premium" grade.  Now the Turkmens can import BMWs and Mercedes' machines and have the proper fuel to run them!  No more cheap Russian gas at 71 octane.....

Notice how the catalyst technology comes from Denmark.....

I had seen folks driving Benz's, BMWs, RRs(2), Bentleys and a Lambo there. I also found out these folks had also imported Euro grade gasoline.

It would be pretty amazing to see these technologies be in widespread use.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ceo_energemsier said:

I also found out these folks had also imported Euro grade gasoline.

And now they can make their own!    Sounds good to me.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, BenFranklin'sSpectacles said:

What does that tell us? 

It tells me that those Danes are a smart people with an emphasis on science education, that are able to innovate.  And that gives me hope for the planet.  Hey, who knows what else they are going to come up with. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

It tells me that those Danes are a smart people with an emphasis on science education, that are able to innovate.  And that gives me hope for the planet.  Hey, who knows what else they are going to come up with. 

Same for the rest of the Western world for that matter.  I believe Russia also has some innovations to its name, and East Asia seems to be catching on. 

Makes me wonder why South America, Africa, the Middle East, and India have accomplished so little. 

• Like 1

Well, the Germans were doing that in the WW2, Germany didn't have any oil, but it had a lot of coal, so they decided to be the first ones to make large scale synthetic fuels and lubricants

Synthetic fuels generally have a higher amount of hydrogen in the molecules so they have a 20 to 25% higher energy density, and they also have higher octane rating, one of the reasons why the Luftwaffe was so effective is because they used higher quality fuel with a more precise chemistry.

Using high temperature electrolysis to produce the hydrogen can save more natural gas to produce synthetic fuel. That's one of the many potential applications for nuclear power in the Oil&Gas industry

• Like 2

(edited)

On 6/28/2019 at 3:59 PM, ceo_energemsier said:

Groundbreaking gas-to-gasoline plant

Turkmenistan inaugurated on Friday what is billed as the world's first gas-to-gasoline plant, set to turn some of the country's vast gas supply into around 15,500 b/d of motor fuel, primarily for the domestic market.

The plant outside the capital Ashgabat was built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries and Turkish company Ronesans, and uses technology from Danish catalysis company Haldor Topsoe.

The latter, which participated in Qatar's Oryx gas-to-liquids project, hopes to see the technology in Turkmenistan adopted elsewhere. Previous gas-to-liquids projects around the world have mostly been oriented to diesel production.

The gasoline "complies with the highest environmental standards, contains no sulfur and very little unwanted byproducts," Haldor Topsoe said in a statement.

The plant is expected to use 1.8 billion cubic meters/year of gas and produce 92 octane gasoline, without additional processing. Turkmen official media reports previously put the price tag at $1.7 billion.

A number of gas-to-liquids projects have been mooted in Central Asia, including in Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan.

Turkmenistan is thought to hold the world's fourth-largest gas reserves and is a big supplier by pipeline to China. But it has struggled to diversify its customer base for gas, with some quantities periodically going to Iran and Russia.

Periodic fuel shortages remain common across much of ex-Soviet Central Asia, although Turkmenistan exports some liquid fuel from its two refineries, including to southern neighbor Afghanistan.

Haldor Topsoe said the startup of the Turkmen plant, with a ribbon cutting ceremony involving President Gurbanguly Berdimukhamedov, had proceeded to plan.

"During the coming months, the performance test run is expected to be completed. At full capacity the plant will produce 15,500 b/d of gasoline," it said.

Gasoline should account for 85% of the product stream, the rest being LPG, it added.

The project "sets a new world standard for monetizing gas resources in a very effective way," CEO Bjerne Clausen said.

I thought that Saudi Arabia did this years ago. They considered building one in Louisiana back then also. I will have to go back and search for the info. 

https://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Natural-gas-to-1-gasoline-5701521.php

Edited by ronwagn

On 7/31/2019 at 8:11 PM, ronwagn said:

I thought that Saudi Arabia did this years ago. They considered building one in Louisiana back then also. I will have to go back and search for the info. 

https://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Natural-gas-to-1-gasoline-5701521.php

https://www.industryweek.com/leadership/sasols-giant-us-plant-delayed-cost-escalates-again

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ceo_energemsier said:

So it looks like higher petroleum prices will have to allow a faster growth of natural gas to liquids plants and technology. I usually expect cost overruns with nuclear plants. 

There were plans to convert natural gas to gasoline in Saudi Arabia. I remember that an American oil company executive was assassinated  years ago. Maybe it was for billions lost in the attempt. 

On 8/2/2019 at 8:36 PM, ronwagn said:

So it looks like higher petroleum prices will have to allow a faster growth of natural gas to liquids plants and technology. I usually expect cost overruns with nuclear plants. 

There were plans to convert natural gas to gasoline in Saudi Arabia. I remember that an American oil company executive was assassinated  years ago. Maybe it was for billions lost in the attempt. 

https://truthout.org/articles/opponents-delay-1-25-billion-plastic-complex-in-louisiana/

• Upvote 2

On 7/31/2019 at 3:20 PM, Sebastian Meana said:

Well, the Germans were doing that in the WW2, Germany didn't have any oil, but it had a lot of coal, so they decided to be the first ones to make large scale synthetic fuels and lubricants

Synthetic fuels generally have a higher amount of hydrogen in the molecules so they have a 20 to 25% higher energy density, and they also have higher octane rating, one of the reasons why the Luftwaffe was so effective is because they used higher quality fuel with a more precise chemistry.

Using high temperature electrolysis to produce the hydrogen can save more natural gas to produce synthetic fuel. That's one of the many potential applications for nuclear power in the Oil&Gas industry

Eh?

German aviation gasoline was 87 Octane. 

American Aviation Gasoline was 100 Octane. Using this over standard gasoline added 25-35 mph to the top speed of Hurricanes and Spitfires. This was a significant factor affecting the outcome of the Battle of Britain. 

American Aviation Gasoline helped win the air war. 

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, NickW said:

Eh?

German aviation gasoline was 87 Octane. 

American Aviation Gasoline was 100 Octane. Using this over standard gasoline added 25-35 mph to the top speed of Hurricanes and Spitfires. This was a significant factor affecting the outcome of the Battle of Britain. 

American Aviation Gasoline helped win the air war. 

How was German synthetic fuel though? 

1 hour ago, BenFranklin'sSpectacles said:

How was German synthetic fuel though? 

I don't know but in 1940 Germany was using conventional Romanian and Russian oil along with small quantities produced in Austria. 

Saudi Aramco might have more interest in owning, and burying the technology, than actually commercializing turning natural gas to oil. They lack natural gas and burn a lot of crude for electricity and desalination, especially in the west of the country.

3 minutes ago, John Foote said:

Saudi Aramco might have more interest in owning, and burying the technology, than actually commercializing turning natural gas to oil. They lack natural gas and burn a lot of crude for electricity and desalination, especially in the west of the country.

They also have an interest to make money by investing in new ventures, which they have been doing a lot and I know that they are looking for GTL tech investment in the US and in China