Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MP

LA Solar Power/Storage Contract

On 8/13/2019 at 3:05 AM, John Foote said:

CA is clumsy and expensive, with a lot of added cost silliness, but they do in their own inefficient way create opportunties. I doubt it's worse than much of the EU. I'm happy in Texas. I've turned down opportunities in California. The money was good, but not enough to offset the cost of living. 

I am all for vote with your feet and pocketbook. In the USA we do have that option. In twenty years Texas will have more people than California and New York combined. But won't be a bigger version of today's Texas. A lot of refugees from California.

The Californian refugees who have immigrated to Colorado have, slowly but surely, destroyed a once great state...Texans beware!

(edited)

On 8/25/2019 at 7:13 AM, Douglas Buckland said:

The Californian refugees who have immigrated to Colorado have, slowly but surely, destroyed a once great state...Texans beware!

They have already seriously impacted the cost of real estate already, not to mention traffic jams. Fortunately many of the Californians who immigrate to Texas were happy to leave the odd politics of California behind as opposed to bring it with them.

A lot of the Central Texas economic boom is high tech that came out of California, at least in the beginning. Austin in some ways is to Silicon Valley what southern state manufacturing in the auto industry is to the Rust Belt/flyover states. A lower cost, more productive alternative. Partially because of the "Right to Work" statues, but many, if not most, of the companies honor California labor regulations. It's really more about productivity and access to human talent. Who in their right mind wants a three hour Silicon Valley commute, or to pay $3K a month for a small apartment and a short commute.

Colorado is an odd duct. Libertarians and liberals. Parts of the state as Libertarian as anywhere in the USA, and then there is the Republic of Boulder which could make a California refugee from Berkley blush for how liberal it is. Over half the non-Federal government spending there is local, not statewide. And overwhelming the government debt is local, not statewide. So Colorado can a maintain bi-polar existence for a while, probably longer than they should.

Edited by John Foote
left out key word