fb

U.S.- Taiwan: China Says Will Freeze Out U.S. Companies That Sell Arms To Taiwan

China’s government and Chinese companies will cut business ties with U.S. firms selling arms to Taiwan, China’s Foreign Ministry said on Monday, declining to give details of the sanctions in a move likely to worsen already poor ties with Washington.China claims self-ruled and democratic Taiwan as its own and has never renounced the use of force to bring it under Beijing’s control. China regularly calls Taiwan the most sensitive issue in its relations with the United States. Last week, the Pentagon said the U.S. State Department had approved the sale of the weapons requested by Taiwan, including 108 General Dynamics Corp (GD.N) M1A2T Abrams tanks and 250 Stinger missiles, which are manufactured by Raytheon (RTN.N). China said on Friday it would sanction U.S. companies selling weapons to Taiwan but did not elaborate.

• Upvote 1

Chinese hegemony....

• Like 1

The "new crisis" is coming in the middle of the trade war ...

• Great Response! 1

Nothing controversial in this deal, except timing. Everything else is the same as before ... 

As I know, Taiwan is a free country and China doesn't own it country. So..

The Chinese are right up there with the Russians in the "seizing territory" arena.  So far, the Chinese have seized Tibet, kicked out the Dalai Lama, and put a million or so Uighurs into jails, which are euphemistically called "learning centers."    What you learn is to obey the State or you will spend your life rotting in the Gulag.  Then you have those little specks of islands out there in the South China Sea, which the Chinese spend totally vast sums in turning into military bases by pumping in vast amounts of sand from the sea bed, using hydraulic dredges.  Then there were those islands off the Mainland, controlled by Taiwan, of which Quemoy and Matsu were the most prominent, shelled into submission by artillery that went on for years on end, reducing those specks into total rubble.  And now we have the Grand Prize, Formosa, where the Nationalist general Chiang Kai-shek fled with his defeated army after WWII, then sitting on top of the native Formosans, on what is after all their island.  Along come the Communists and say:  "We want that, too!"   

What a nice crowd.  If you object, then don't buy Chinese goods, buy Formosan, and write a Letter to the Chinese Embassy in DC telling them so.  Just lovely.

9 hours ago, francoba said:

China’s government and Chinese companies will cut business ties with U.S. firms selling arms to Taiwan, China’s Foreign Ministry said on Monday, declining to give details of the sanctions in a move likely to worsen already poor ties with Washington.China claims self-ruled and democratic Taiwan as its own and has never renounced the use of force to bring it under Beijing’s control. China regularly calls Taiwan the most sensitive issue in its relations with the United States. Last week, the Pentagon said the U.S. State Department had approved the sale of the weapons requested by Taiwan, including 108 General Dynamics Corp (GD.N) M1A2T Abrams tanks and 250 Stinger missiles, which are manufactured by Raytheon (RTN.N). China said on Friday it would sanction U.S. companies selling weapons to Taiwan but did not elaborate.

I am for minimizing trade with despotic mainland China so I think it is a good thing. Let all American companies get new markets.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, francoba said:

Companies like Lockheed Martin, which I'm sure sells a lot of stuff to China right now. Boeing might lose business to Airbus. For awhile.

I wish I had known of this proposition bet I would have made one, there was no way the media was going to say he told the truth, it was a lock.

On 7/15/2019 at 9:37 PM, francoba said:

How many American arms companies have business in China? Sounds like an empty threat to me....

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:37 PM, francoba said:

Hollow threat? Do US defence firms sell weaponry to China?

I suppose this could affect Boeing but other manufacturers?

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:04 AM, ronwagn said:

I am for minimizing trade with despotic mainland China so I think it is a good thing. Let all American companies get new markets.

Agreed. I avoid buying Chinese wherever possible.

Currently recycling all my matchbox toy cars for my 3 year old which I found in my Dads loft. They are so old they were made in England!

• Upvote 1

The American stock exchange dropped about 750 points today and the Chinese Hang Seng Index dropped almost exactly the same amount. Easy money from Chinese goods will not be as easy as time goes on. A lot of whining is going on by China lovers on Wall Street.