Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HM

U.S. Administration Moves To End Asylum Protections For Central Americans

The Trump administration on Monday moved to end asylum protections for most Central American migrants in a major escalation of the president’s battle to tamp down the number of people crossing the U.S.-Mexico border. According to a new rule published in the Federal Register , asylum seekers who pass through another country first will be ineligible for asylum at the U.S. southern border. The rule, expected to go into effect Tuesday, also applies to children who have crossed the border alone. There are some exceptions: If someone has been trafficked, if the country the migrant passed through did not sign one of the major international treaties that govern how refugees are managed (though most Western countries have signed them) or if an asylum-seeker sought protection in a country but was denied, then a migrant could still apply for U.S. asylum. But the move by President Donald Trump’s administration was meant to essentially end asylum protections as they now are on the southern border, reversing decades of U.S. policy on how refugees are treated and coming as the government continues to clamp down on migrants and as the treatment of those who made it to the country is heavily criticized as inhumane.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Before any comment, main Q is:  Do we think about why they are leaving their country?  America used to be the voice to tell the world the atrocities that are taking place in these broken countries.

12 minutes ago, joze44 said:

The Trump administration on Monday moved to end asylum protections for most Central American migrants in a major escalation of the president’s battle to tamp down the number of people crossing the U.S.-Mexico border. According to a new rule published in the Federal Register , asylum seekers who pass through another country first will be ineligible for asylum at the U.S. southern border. The rule, expected to go into effect Tuesday, also applies to children who have crossed the border alone. There are some exceptions: If someone has been trafficked, if the country the migrant passed through did not sign one of the major international treaties that govern how refugees are managed (though most Western countries have signed them) or if an asylum-seeker sought protection in a country but was denied, then a migrant could still apply for U.S. asylum. But the move by President Donald Trump’s administration was meant to essentially end asylum protections as they now are on the southern border, reversing decades of U.S. policy on how refugees are treated and coming as the government continues to clamp down on migrants and as the treatment of those who made it to the country is heavily criticized as inhumane.

The US only has safe third nation agreement with Canada. It doesn't have one with any Central American country.

• Upvote 2

image.png.bfe89d93a76b2cbf753aba386bc43cc0.png

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

It's targeting Mexicans and Central Americans. So does this mean US will no longer offer asylum period or is this a selective move? I’m reminded how US denied Anne Frank’s family asylum...

7 minutes ago, 50 shades of black said:

Before any comment, main Q is:  Do we think about why they are leaving their country?  America used to be the voice to tell the world the atrocities that are taking place in these broken countries.

1) It matters, but is on an individual basis.

2) It wasn't "USA" telling, generally speaking.  It has always been 3rd party organizations doing the telling

3) Why the Hell does the USA want to become the EU/China/S. Korea/Japan/Philippines/Vietnam where you literally cannot find any natural untrammeled by humans preserve or even woodlands.  Frankly too many people in the USA as it is already.  Why must the population increase?  What is wrong with ZERO immigrants?  Why not negative population growth?  Want help? Ask.  DO not demand entry. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ThunderBlade said:

It's targeting Mexicans and Central Americans. So does this mean US will no longer offer asylum period or is this a selective move? I’m reminded how US denied Anne Frank’s family asylum...

They are NOT asylum seekers. Stop the lies.  They are economic migrants. If they were asylum seekers it would be WHOLE families, not 75% men.  1/3 of the "families" that have children with them are actually kidnapped children pretending to be families so far. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, ThunderBlade said:

FALSE ANALOGY.  Is there a genocide going on in Mexico or Central America?  Are these people 5% of the population and subject to persecution lasting centuries?  No. They are the majority in their own countries, and nothing is going to change unless they are forced to go back and make the change!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

(edited)

5 hours ago, 50 shades of black said:

They are leaving because it is easier to come here and request asylum than it is to fight for change in their country.  The current legal immigration process allows plenty of people to come from these countries as legal immigrants who can tell the world of the atrocities taking place. If these people are refugees, then over 2 billion people in the world are refugees that we must admit to the United States.  These countries may need revolutions, and we know that can get violent. US policy of allowing in anybody who makes an asylum claim that will ultimately prove to be bogus is a "safety valve" that keeps these failing regimes in power. 

Edited by Toranaga
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, 50 shades of black said:

They are leaving their countries because they want to live like Americans. Most of the world does. We cannot let many in unless we choose acceptable applicants, not just let them invade us. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, ThunderBlade said:

My understanding is that no country would accept the Jewish refugees. I think Hitler wanted to export as many as possible, or maybe the Jews saw the handwriting on the wall. I would like to know where most refugees were accepted in. Einstein obviously made it. FDR apparently thought mass immigration of Jews was not a politically viable option at that time.

On 7/15/2019 at 10:01 AM, ThunderBlade said:

It is targeting ALL those who illegally come to the United States to stay. It has nothing to do with race. Legal immigration has requirements. 

(edited)

On 7/15/2019 at 4:37 PM, Toranaga said:

FALSE ANALOGY.  Is there a genocide going on in Mexico or Central America?  Are these people 5% of the population and subject to persecution lasting centuries?  No. They are the majority in their own countries, and nothing is going to change unless they are forced to go back and make the change!

I remain astonished that you fellows are hard at work up-voting this hopeless comment. 

--------------------------------------------------------

Ron says:  

"It is targeting ALL those who illegally come to the United States to stay. It has nothing to do with race. Legal immigration has requirements." 

Answer: there is no longer any "legal immigration" into the USA.  If you wish to immigrate, you go into a queue.  That queue is restricted and by the time your turn arrives, you are long dead - by decades, if not centuries.  That is the part that you fellows do not seem to grasp.  The reason there is "illegal"  migration into the USA is precisely because there are no permits being issued. 

Edited by Jan van Eck

On 7/21/2019 at 12:56 PM, Jan van Eck said:

I remain astonished that you fellows are hard at work up-voting this hopeless comment. 

Ron says:  

"It is targeting ALL those who illegally come to the United States to stay. It has nothing to do with race. Legal immigration has requirements." 

Answer: there is no longer any "legal immigration" into the USA.  If you wish to immigrate, you go into a queue.  That queue is restricted and by the time your turn arrives, you are long dead - by decades, if not centuries.  That is the part that you fellows do not seem to grasp.  The reason there is "illegal"  migration into the USA is precisely because there are no permits being issued. 

Jan, your statement "precisely because there are no permits being issued" is utterly wrong. There are over 1 million Green Cards being issued every year. It is a simple fact: [https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-statistics/yearbook/2017/table1]     

It is also a simple fact that the United States is under no obligation to allow in everybody who wants to come here.  

Tell me how my false analogy comment is "hopeless"  or wrong in any way.  I'll check back.  

Your I-551 residency permits  (what you call a "Green Card") are being issued first to family members of those already either U.S. citizens or other residents.  For the rest, they go into various pools that are dependent on factors that are not controlled by demand.  Thus, if you are a current resident of Norway  (Mr. Trump's favorite immigrant source country) then because there are so few applicants relative to the assigned quota, you can likely be admitted.  However, if you are from say India, where the backlog is (pick a number) 26 million, and the quota is ten thousand, then as you are added to the end of the queue you are being picked by lottery out of a huge pool of applicants, and your chance of entry are effectively zero.  Unless you mother already lives in the USA. 

And this is the problem:  unless the fix is in, you don't get in.  And there is no possible way for you to ever be considered, as your quota numbers work against you, unless you are a citizen of a favored country  (such as Canada).  It was for this reason that Elon Musk left South Africa for Canada, then became a citizen of Canada, then applied to the USA from Canada as a Canadian, not as a South African, where the quota was so laughably small he would never make it to the head of the line. 

So, actually, you might agree that Trump's immigration proposal is not all bad: 

[https://www.whitehouse.gov/articles/president-trumps-bold-immigration-plan-21st-century/]

• Modernize the legal immigration process to protect American workers. About 70 percent of immigrants who come to the United States today are admitted based on family relationships or through a random visa lottery—a system that favors random chance over the skills our economy needs. Through a point-based merit system, the President’s plan increases the number of legal immigrants selected based on skill or merit from 12 percent to 57 percent. The plan also has layers of protection for American jobs and wages, including recruitment requirements, displacement prohibitions, and wage floors.

Still interested in reading why you think my false analogy comment is "hopeless."

On 7/15/2019 at 9:44 AM, joze44 said:

I have to agree with Trump on this one. What was it, about 4 months ago the Mexican govt offered asylum to a group of migrants from SA and they refused? What a lot of people that don't live in the areas affected by these migrants is that they come here claiming to want a better life. Unfortunately what usually happens is they come over and just transfer their lives from SA to the USA. Their neighborhoods tend to have a lot of gang violence, they are untended houses being lived in as they fall apart(slums) and a lot of them don't want to learn English. They come here illegally and we are forced to put their children in school and we are even expected to teach them in Spanish, not teach them English so they can go out into the US and be prosperous. They don't pay income taxes like everyone is expected to, and that puts an even harder burden on the school's budgets. It also makes the other kids suffer, the funds that are supposed to come from taxes has to be stretched even further to educate their children.

Furthermore, a lot of gang members have crossed the border illegally in order to set up branch gangs for drug/human trafficking.  Makes the hoods so nice for everyone to live in. More burden on tax dollars as the police have to spend a lot of time cleaning up the mess in the hoods.

As for inhumane conditions when we do detain them? So crossing the border illegally is no easy feat. Sleeping in the desert where it is crazy hot in the day time and bitterly cold at night, along trails that are covered in human waste and garbage, avoiding snakes and scorpions and other desert creatures. A place with bathrooms, showers, food and water and shelter is by no means as horrible as going out on foot in the desert, so the liberals need to shut their mouths and maybe provide relief along those trails for the illegals, and maybe while they are there help to clean up the horrible mess that has been left in our country by people that "say" they want something better. I really believe they come here so they can pull their shenanigans without the harsh penalties they would face in other SA countries.....

All in all, VERY FEW of those coming here actually want anything better, they just want a hand out for as long as they can get them. Sit at the schools and watch how many Cadillac's pull through and wonder how they can afford those brand new cars, I would be able to afford a new one if I didn't have to pay taxes on my income and I got free food for my children.....

On 7/21/2019 at 11:56 AM, Jan van Eck said:

Ron says:  

Legal permits or not, the law must be followed.  This argument is a red herring.