Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JT

US administration offers consolation prize to solar industry

Few days after President Trump slapped a 30 percent tariff on foreign solar panels, Energy Secretary Rick Perry announced a $3 million grant competition to spur America’s solar manufacturing sector. The challenge-based "American Made Solar Prize" would award $3 million to U.S. entrepreneurs focused on developing processes and products related to solar energy with a goal to "reassert American leadership in the solar marketplace."

$3 million VS billions of dollars of investments and killing tens of thousands of jobs

well, I think it is wrong timing. Tariffs should come after the development 

Another waste of tax payer money, another Solyndra coming up

Elon Musk just coughed that much up...with his coffee this morning...after reading this.

Buy American, hire American! Thank you President Trump! I would rather overpay ours than use Chinese crapy stuff

"Every time you're exposed to advertising in America, you're reminded that this country's most profitable business is still the manufacture, packaging, distribution and marketing of bullshit. High quality, grade-A, prime-cut pure American bulls..t." quote by George Carlin

Tariffs and protectionism isn't going to work. It's shooting ourselves in the foot. Thing is that our manufacturing is crap quality. Just look at the car industry, we are way behind in quality. We're falling behind on innovation & improving our manufacturing sector because we refuse to invest in improving our education & vocational programs. 

• Upvote 2

You can’t force us to believe that China is indigenously manufacturing high quality products

China not necessarily, but Europe and other Asian countries for sure

Regarding the solar panels, China isn't necessarily selling high quality panels. It's that they're dirt cheap compared to what it would cost to produce the same panel in the US because China. They don't have OSHA and the EPA to worry about. Could the same thing be made in the US? Sure, if the US worker is willing to be paid about 30 cents an hour, and the company doesn't have to worry about environmental pollution laws.

Remind me, where does Trump and Ivanka have their clothing made again?

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

"Every time you're exposed to advertising in America, you're reminded that this country's most profitable business is still the manufacture, packaging, distribution and marketing of bullshit. High quality, grade-A, prime-cut pure American bulls..t." quote by George Carlin

I do so value the opinion of stand up comedians, and use it often to shape my own opinions.

1 hour ago, Joanna said:

Tariffs and protectionism isn't going to work. It's shooting ourselves in the foot. Thing is that our manufacturing is crap quality. Just look at the car industry, we are way behind in quality. We're falling behind on innovation & improving our manufacturing sector because we refuse to invest in improving our education & vocational programs. 

I don't agree with that tariffs and protectionism have zero value. But I do agree wholeheartedly that the American auto industry is seriously lacking in quality. I would always opt to buy foreign. We have unions to thank for that. American businesses and learning institutions have their hands tied and are inexcusably inefficient with no power to change things.

I think it's about the parts that American companies need to manufacture panels at a reasonable price. 

17 minutes ago, Kate Turlington said:

I think it's about the parts that American companies need to manufacture panels at a reasonable price. 

Right, but theoretically, the tariffs would make more American companies to manufacture parts in country rather than buy from outside. Not saying it's right, only that I think that's the rationale.

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

I do so value the opinion of stand up comedians, and use it often to shape my own opinions.

make a 360° and try to find a single item manufactured in US 

24 minutes ago, Stephen said:

make a 360° and try to find a single item manufactured in US 

My pillow (infomercial is THE BEST!), Pyrex, Sterilite, Vitamix, Snap On tools, Stihl, Airstream, Harley Davidson, Post-It, Wilson, Zippo...